back to article Forgotten your Myspace password? Just a name, username, DoB will get you in – and into anyone else's, too

Myspace's account recovery process is hopelessly flawed, according to a security researcher. Positive Technologies' Leigh-Anne Galloway stumbled on the issue in the process of attempting to gain access and delete her account back in April. "I discovered a business process so flawed it deserves its own place in history," she …

1. Mark 85

So there's people sit using MySpace? Really? My flabber is gasted.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So there's people sit using MySpace?

No, there's people that never bothered to delete their accounts, that's all.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"never bothered to delete their accounts, that's all."

If you only want to commit identity theft, "that" might be "all" you need.

2. DagD

YourSpace

Use to dabble in creative writing. Had several peaces posted to "myspace".

Then they destroyed my content. No luck with any archiving trick to recover my dabblings...

you can have your space back.

FU.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: YourSpace

"Use to dabble in creative writing. Had several peaces posted to "myspace"."[sic]

Doesn't look like you would have lost anything of much concern!

3. Ol'Peculier

Saw Docs...

And on that note, I'm never going to go on Bebo again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxV9Q5998uc

4. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Trollface

MySpace!?

I thought The Register was an IT site! Why are they reporting on MySpace?!

5. ZenCoder
    Boffin

Schrödinger's Account ...

I never deleted mine, just logged in with decreasing frequency. Now after 7 years I guess my account is both alive and dead at the same time until I actually attempt to log in.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Schrödinger's Account ...

Ditto. I had a MySpace account a long time ago, but I thought they did something stupid like throw away everybody's content? So I just didn't bother logging in anymore...

6. Sanguma
    Holmes

Yesterday ....

"Myspace only requires a valid name, username and date of birth associated with an account to regain access to that account"

How many people put "Yesterday" in the DOB field? (In teory it's possible ... :)

1. Wo

Re: Yesterday ....

I'm assuming that I added a fake DoB because I have been trying to get into my account to cancel for about a month now without success.

MySpace doesn't have support contact details, and the support states "fill in this form, we'll get back to you." 2 weeks with no response so far.

2. ChiBearzGurl86

Re: Yesterday ....

Does this recover ur account an if so can u tell me how to get to it I'm trying to get my photos an don't remember my password and username.

7. Captain Scarlet
    Coffee/keyboard

Wells that me never being able to access my account ever again

I never put a correct DOB on sites which force a date of birth where I don't think its actually needed (Although it is a bit annoying when you realise "close" friends on Facebook don't know when your actual birthday is).

1. mtp
      Big Brother

Re: Wells that me never being able to access my account ever again

Personally I always enter a DOB of 1/1/1900. If you are going to fake it then it is only polite to make it a obvious fake.

I have often wondered if this is related to my spam which is mostly death related - release the value in your home, pre paid funeral plans ETC.

For more details phone me on 0123456789 or come and visit my lovely village of Gypping in the marsh, I am usually to be found at the earthworm sanctuary.

8. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

Was there ever anyone at MySpace with professional coding skills?

My continued overall impression of MySpace, from start to now, is that they've never had anyone with adequate, professional coding skills. To this day, it's a nightmare trying to get music files and playlists to actually work at the website. This of course negates the niche purpose of MySpace, making it irrelevant. Why the site still limps along is inconceivable. Either die or let someone with real skills rewrite the catastrophic mess.

9. kezersoze

Friendster

I sure hope my Friendster account is secure

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Friendster

Yeah, I'm really worried about my FriendFace one as well.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tin foil hats (and password managers) are easy

This is one of the reasons why I provide fake but recoverable personal data to sites that ask for such things. Don't give identity phishers a free ride.

I have fond memories of my happy days at Miskatonic University in the late Victorian era before I moved to Gypping in the marsh to work at that earthworm sanctuary - ETC.

Anon - clearly!

11. ChiBearzGurl86

Need Pictures

I cannot remember the email I used for the password I want to retrieve all my old photos can someone please help me to get into Myspace to get them!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like