back to article Dark web souk AlphaBay shuts for good after police raids

Dark web marketplace AlphaBay's closure last week followed an international law enforcement operation and multiple raids, it has emerged. It has also been reported that a key suspect who was arrested in the raids has died in custody. The world’s biggest online drug bazaar dropped offline on 5 July, sparking fears that its …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Frog

Dream Market you say? Cheers for the heads up.

1. defiler

Re: Frog

Was thinking just that.

Well that's Christmas shopping tied up early this year!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Frog

As a Dream Market user I read this news with dismay. My quiet little ever reliable DNM is about to be swamped, and get a bunch more LE targets painted on its back.

Mind you, most sellers were on both anyway and I hardly doubt it's already crawling with LE. Imagine there might be a lot of hasty setting up of 2FA credentials at the moment.

Anon, obvs.

2. Valarian

"AlphaBay took on the mantle from the infamous Pirate Bay before it to become the largest marketplaces on the dark web."

Silk Road rather than The Pirate Bay, surely?

1. John Lilburne

Silk Road rather than ...

Sometimes it is hard to tell one bunch of spivs from another.

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Valarian

Yup - mistake fixed.

C.

3. wolfetone Silver badge

Dead men don't talk.

They can't argue their innocence either.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Yeah, sounds convenient.

Maybe one wants to look into "services provided but not documented" for various State agencies.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are you sure he's dead? Could be another scam

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: Could be another scam

Shh, don't let the Americans know. The Thai government realized they have been loosing a lot of money since the decline in the sex industry, so they have orchestrated a scam with Cazes. They are letting the American's think Cazes is dead, and in return, Cazes will get a new identity, and will help them set up a new, Thai government sponsored, dark web marketplace. The Thai government will get 70% off the proceeds while Cazes, under his new name, will get 30%.

This is all hush hush and clandestine, so don't let anyone know.

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

Re: re: Could be another scam

I was thinking along the same lines, the Thai police can be pretty corrupt and if you have millions of dollars in the bank I am sure you could bribe enough people to have 'died' in jail and get yourself a new identity.

He would need to get out of Thailand as soon as possible though as once you have paid the cops off once they will be back again for more

5. MooJohn

He's actually living like a king in Patagonia.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How are Great British Bartards to survive now?

1. DF118

Bloody americans, coming over here with their weird shaped pills. Whatever happened to good old proper British round ones? Eh?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My condolences to the Alphabay heros

The web has become a bit more darker with the loss of Alphabay and our martyr Caze.

8. EnviableOne
    Joke

What happend to BetaBay?

I'm sure after alpha should come beta, then gamma, but what do i know, its all greek to me

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah id buy swish cars and houses too.. being the head of OpSec... Did he work for MI5?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like