back to article Fake Newspaper steals Reg design to spruik storage upstart

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but perhaps whoever designed the website for storage upstart Weka.io has gone a little too far: when Reg operatives decided to read beyond our story on the company, we found its website appears to have borrowed ours! The offending bit of Weka's site is its Fake Newspaper, “IT News …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Superficial

But it's so tame! If they'd really copied Das Reg, that name might've been "IT ClickBait Mill" and the title might've been "External storage smells a bit off"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Superficial

If they'd [I]really[/I] copied El Reg it would look nothing like that - turn off your as blocker and you'll see what I mean!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If they'd really copied El Reg it would look nothing like that - turn off your as blocker and you'll see what I mean!

You evil, evil man - I HAVE to give you an upvote for that on account of being a perfect Friday-compatible comment, and so early! :)

2. MyffyW Silver badge

Weka Wallies Rob Reg Red Web Thread

Narrative and editorial will appear in the comments section :-)

3. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

It gets worse: check out the shape of the corners on that laptop.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: External storage smells a bit off

Certainly does at my house. But my external storage is the garbage can in the garage and we have a cat with kidney problems so that probably explains it (or should that be IT?)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Eh, I was thinking of a colostomy bag gag. Too late, of course.

1. Chemical Bob

Well, it would make me gag...

2. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

"Good artists borrow. Great artists steal" , said Picasso supposedly. Web design is artistry, and like any other line of work it has a large number of lazy people simply nicking other people's ideas which simply proves they never really had any true creativity or understanding of the skills they profess to have. In any business sphere there are a small percentage of people who are world class, then a big chunk of hard working types who know their stuff and then a huge proportion riding the coattails of the aforementioned.

As an aside, can anyone explain why web design was ever considered an IT skill?! While the rest of us toiled in the computer rooms of companies and schools, everyone else scoffed at us until the WWW explosion in the 90s and suddenly IT wasn't geeky or nerdy anymore when they saw how much skilled IT people earned behind the scenes. All of a sudden it was an excuse for artist types to look "retro-geek trendy" by saying they were working in IT when they were basically graphic designers working on computers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As an aside, can anyone explain why web design was ever considered an IT skill?!

There's the design and then the mechanics to implement it and make it work.

For design, you best use someone who spent years in school learning about it (yes, it IS a skill despite what people say, and there is lots to learn - usability, for instance, is clearly not an IT skill).

For translating design into something that works well online (as in "not using the full 4000x3000 5MB of that wonderful frontpage picture" and other things that marketing types try to inflict on us) you need someone with technical expertise who speaks enough "design" to communicate with the designer (which, incidentally, also pre-supposes you use a designer who has an idea of technology - speeds things up).

Both are skills, but they are separate talents that do not always reside with the same person.

1. Mage Silver badge

usability, for instance, is clearly not an IT skill

It's clearly not a skill practised (assuming it's taught) by very many product stylists, web graphic designers etc.

Or in MS since about 2003.

2. Aqua Marina

Sprechende designer?

"you need someone with technical expertise who speaks enough "design" to communicate with the designer "

Something I've clearly never learned looking at the years I've spent banging my head against the wall with designers who do not understand the concept of DPI. A typical example:-

Designer: I need all my photography images to be supplied at 300 DPI.

Me: What resolution?

Designer: 300 DPI......

Me: 6" x 4" at 300 DPI, 10" x 6" at 300 DPI, A1 at 300 DPI?

Designer: Look, they just need to be 300DPI then they are good enough to print out.

Me: You've saved 1TB of JPGs twice and filled up the entire NAS, one lot at 96DPI and the other at 300 DPI, but they are both just 3800 x 2100 images.

Designer: That's because the ones at 96DPI are for use on the website, the 300 DPI are to be printed.

Me: But they're identical, you only need one set.

Designer: No, they're different resolutions, those are the same resolution as your monitor, those as your printer.....

And many many more....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Aqua Marina

https://youtu.be/GFTgkibl7DU

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Sprechende designer?

"Designer: Look, they just need to be 300DPI then they are good enough to print out."

And in the print industry, it's Lines Per Inch and 1200 is usually a bare minimum for printing.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

"Good artists borrow. Great artists steal" , said Picasso supposedly

AKA "Plagarism is the highest form of flattery"..

1. Hollerithevo

Picasso didn't say it

So 'supposedly' over thy ass.

3. as2003

Eh, give them a break

I can't even find it on their website so its clearly not a core design element, just a quick bit of throwaway design. Besides, the value of the reg is in it's content, not its design.

And who is stealing design from whom? The 'red masthead' style of tabloid existed long before El Reg ever did. It's even been stated by Reg staffers that the design intentionally apes the British tabloid.

Just take it as a compliment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Re: Eh, give them a break

Being able to see Reg specific links though... is not on. Copying/taking/stealing in such a way is exactly that.

Now had they re-drawn/markup'ed by hand, then they would not have copied the "m3" link, and it would be mainly their own work, while imitating a design.

Photographing/copy pasting someone else's work, while presenting it to customers as your work, takes personal effort to give the idea you did the work to the customer. It's a decision to pass off, not a mistake.

1. as2003

Re: Eh, give them a break

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure this would be covered by fair use, especially considering how much the original design has been altered, so I don't think you can call it stealing.

As I said, I really don't think it's worth getting riled up about.

4. FF22

"Design"

You keep using that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: "Design"

It's shorter to fit on the headline than "thrown together hastily on the way to the pub"...

5. Woodgie
    Coat

Another Reg Department?

The Reg Invesigation Bureau.

If they uncover naughtyness you get a RIBbing.

Though to be fair all that pretty much sums up The Register already. So that's good.

6. adrian lynch

I'm puzzled

Why didn't they copy a site that had a responsive design?

Are they also copying the fnur fnur story headines?

It's Friday and I really ought to be in a better mood.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Re: I'm puzzled

Responsive design?

As in having the page jump to the top whenever I dare to move the mouse to the top? Or changing the layout according to the wrongly guessed device I'm using?

7. Alan J. Wylie

The Delirium Brief

On a very slightly related note, Charlie Stross's "The Delirium Brief" came out yesterday, and mentions The Register within the first couple of chapters.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: The Delirium Brief

Something to read then, but frankly the current news cycle is (Neocon) Delirium Brief enough for me.

1. Alan J. Wylie

but frankly the current news cycle is (Neocon) Delirium Brief enough for me

Charlie had to re-write it: "BREXIT broke my next Laundry novel"

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

My copy arrived yesterday and I've yet to read it - it's next on the ebook list..

8. William 3 Bronze badge

You're having a laugh?

Unless you believe you own the copyright on red rectangles.

Besides, your site is so generic looking anyway, good luck in courts.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: You're having a laugh?

Come on, you know this was just a 'mercial to put Weka.io on the map.

1. J. R. Hartley

Re: You're having a laugh?

You cynical old git haha

9. wolfetone Silver badge
    Holmes

I wonder if The Mirror knows you've stolen their design?

10. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

There's one significant difference. Their website belongs to the over-large club of those which do very little unless you allow their javascript run riot over your browser.

11. DeVino
    Stop

Redtop

Shrug.

And pray what does the Inquirer say?

12. Scroticus Canis

The Register is sometimes considered a significant chronicler of the storage industry

What? Simon's soundproofed basement and off-site lock-ups are hardly an industry or has he been busier than El Reg has let on?

13. AbeSapian

Imitation?

While imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, money is the sincerest form of apology.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon