back to article Apple building data centre in China to comply with tough cybersecurity laws

Apple has announced plans to set up its first data centre as part of a $1bn investment in the Chinese province of Guizhou. The centre will be built in partnership with local data management firm Guizhou-Cloud Big Data Industry to comply with new cybersecurity regulations introduced last month. These say that data on Chinese …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anything to do with https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/11/russia_china_vpns_tor_browser/ ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, the Chinese gov requires that businesses in that country be run by Chinese companies. Now, this to me makes a lot sense. You keep income and knowledge in country. Do we in the west do the same and if not why not? <-- rhetorical ;)

Although answers and other views welcome :)

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

They don't have to be run by Chinese companies (Apple didn't relocate its headquarters), personal or sensitive data just has to be stored within the country.

"we in the west" is a very diverse crowd, but the answer is "mostly yes, and more and more so". Especially after the US made very clear that anything stored in the US has to follow US laws and US laws only, which is understandable but also understandably worrying for foreigners.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My apologies for not being more clear.

""These regulations require cloud services be operated by Chinese companies so we're partnering with GCBD to offer iCloud.""

I hadn't expected that Apple had decided to headquarter in China, to be honest. I hope the above quote brings clarity to my post that you responded to.

imho Corps. have far to much power over what they use our data for, how they collect that data, and how it's all cross-referenced. Governments should regulate this far more stringently. Sadly, most governments are not the least bit trustworthy.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Big countries like China or collectives like the EU can get away with forcing companies to store/use data in ways they proscribe. It is smaller ones, like those who have Brexited, that will lack the clout to force companies to comply.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No we don't it is contrary to continual improvement. Once something exists you move on and make it better.

The company or country copying or acquiring will always be second fiddle.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Funny how Apple promotes their 'green' data centres around the world but in China it seems it will be run on coal to comply with local pollution regulations !!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And you know it will be powered by coal how, exactly? Just assuming because it is China it must be coal?

11% of China's electricity is generated by non-fossil fuel means, planned to increase to 20% by 2030. Considering how quickly their electrical generation capacity is growing, that's pretty good.

Given that Apple could choose to site it almost anywhere in China, its likely they would have taken into account availability of hydro or solar generation nearby since they've done that elsewhere. Since solar panels are so cheap there, and installation as well, it may get its own solar farm on site to fully offset its draw. Anyone know if the region it is being built is an area good for solar, or near a major hydro plant?

4. DerekCurrie
    Devil

"Tough cybersecurity laws" aka citizen abuse

*sigh* The despicable behavior required of companies who wish to do business with China: Criminal Nation.

5. DoctorNine

And with a straight face too.

"..They also prevent the transfer of any economic, scientific or technological data overseas on either national security or public interest grounds..."

The irony of this particular justification is really quite juicy. LOL.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And with a straight face too.

> The irony of this particular justification is really quite juicy. LOL.

If that court case in the US about the US gov wanting access to data in Ireland goes in the gov favour, then it seems like the US could force Apple to provide data of Chinese citizens from this data centre.

That could make for a tense situation.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: And with a straight face too.

Well the US might try and force it, but the Chinese government will just pick up the phone and tell Uncle Sam to back off, want your economy wrecked?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aabenraa

I hate names deliberately created to be at the top of the page in the phonebook.

Stop sniggering you damned kids and get off my lawn!

*waves fist*

7. Ramazan

the same in Russia (WRT Apple and citizens' data)

8. Slx

I wonder will this mean they'll actually end up getting a firewalled version of iCloud services, without international connectivity for example?

9. imaginarynumber

Apple have been storing Chinese customers' data in China for years. In an effort to appease the Chinese government they migrated customer data over to state owned China Telecom long before it was a legal requirement.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-data-china-idUSKBN0GF0N720140815

spot the difference-

"The addition of this data centre will allow us to improve the speed and reliability of our products and services" Apple 2017

"We have added China Telecom to our list of data center providers to increase bandwidth and improve performance for our customers" Apple 2014

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like