back to article DARPA cracks wallet to open heads: Brain interface projects get Uncle Sam's backing

The US military's research nerve center DARPA on Monday awarded contracts to five organizations and one company to develop brain interface technology. By funding projects at Brown University, Columbia University, Fondation Voir et Entendre (The Seeing and Hearing Foundation), John B Pierce Laboratory, Paradromics, and the …

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Happy

I have two things to say . . .

This.

But more seriously, this.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Clearly needs machine learning

Well, everything else these days seems to and y'know this really is a neural network people are talking about.

The 1 million neuron number is the sort of level you'd need to drive the optic nerve, once you'd figured out how to convert the image from a conventional sensor into one the brain can process.

1. User McUser
      Boffin

Re: Clearly needs machine learning

The 1 million neuron number is the sort of level you'd need to drive the optic nerve, once you'd figured out how to convert the image from a conventional sensor into one the brain can process.

Back in 1999 they figured out how to decode the visual info, at least in cats: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/471786.stm Encoding would seem to be a matter of reversing the process.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

A wireless network inside my brain that interfaces with the neurons of said brain... and a metal hat to prevent interference from the guy next to me?

1. Chemical Bob
      Coat

Nah, just a metal funnel like the tin woodsman had...

Mine's the one with 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' in the pocket.

4. Mark 110

So when do I get my Neural Lace?

Technology in this regard is being very slow. Can't a computer just teach me Spanish in about 5 mins instead of all those annoying Spanish lessons (though the end of term party was quite fun on Saturday. The Polish girls were proper frisky).

[P.S. See the writing of the late and oh so fucking awesome Ian M Banks for further details on the Neural Lace]

1. Chemical Bob
      Thumb Up

Re: So when do I get my Neural Lace?

Regarding the Polish girls ------->

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like