back to article May the excessive force be with you: Chap cuffed after Star Trek v Star Wars row turns bloody

A bloke was arrested after a shouting match with a pal over Star Wars versus Star Trek led to blood being spilled. Jerome Dewayne Whyte, 23, was collared by Oklahoma police at 6pm on July 1 after he and his roommate argued about the relative merits of the snooty space opera versus the sci-fi merchandizing vehicle turned …

1. Snowy Silver badge
    Trollface

In a fight over...

Star Trek v Star Wars you post a picture of Babylon 5 (better than the other two?) but do have it as an option to question one. Are you trolling us?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Snowy

Actually, ITYM Deep Space 5.

C.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
        Flame

DS9 was a rip of B5 because JMS gave paramount the series outline when he was pitching it to the various studios....

Anyway thats what Bester told me to write

The corps is mother, the corps is father

1. King Jack
          Holmes

Bester would not tell you anything. You would coincidently share a transport with him, then somehow feel strongly about DS9 being a rip off. You'd never be sure how the thought got in your head.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If nothing else, Babylon 5 AND DS9 were both very very good (B5 wins IMHO).

Just watching B5 again after the death of Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi).

25 years on and its STILL damn good viewing.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Bah! Farscape beats both Babylon 5 & DS9.

1. TRT Silver badge

Lexx.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Lexx.

No joke icon?

1. TRT Silver badge

Absolutely not. It might not have been "serious" in terms of it having a high amusement content, but it was one of the best made SciFi series of all time, taking certain SciFi staples to their peak:

Bio-technology, Quasi-religious oppressive regimes, Sex-slavery, Parallel universes, Robotic/AI presence and use, Assassin class characters, Undead military personnel. I'm probably only scratching the surface of the tropes it carried.

Utterly absorbing and entertaining.

2. Marshalltown

Firefly - for the movie, Serenity.

2. Wilseus

"Just watching B5 again after the death of Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi)."

I watched all of B5 for the first time a couple of years back when they repeated them all on one of those "Ten Quid TV" channels. Might have been Watch, I can't remember. The whole story arc over series 1-4 was awesome, much better in many respects than Star Trek.

I never got into it at the time, I think because I was a student and didn't watch much TV.

I really hope that someday, someone re-renders all the CGI in high def and releases them on Blu ray.

3. MyffyW Silver badge

Babylon 5 gets my vote purely on the femme fatale talents of Lyta Alexander and Susan Ivanova

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

The corps is mother, the corps is father

"My mother was a test-tube, my father was a knife"

Bonus points if you can remember (without using a search engine) which book/series that was from..

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: "My mother was a test-tube, my father was a knife"

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

1. Huw D

Re: "My mother was a test-tube, my father was a knife"

Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum Sambucus

2. macjules

Friday - that can only be Heinlein "The corps is mother, the corps is father" - not sure. Never read Starship Troopers so going to make a wild guess.

3. TheOtherMe

The lovely Friday (aka Marjorie Baldwin) - said that in a rather enthralling book of the same name.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
        Heart

There needs to be a Holly icon for stating terribly obvious facts like this.

Can these icon thingies be hacked?

1. Sanctimonious Prick
          Big Brother

Kevin. I'm having heart palpitations. Yes, because of your icon, but more so your last comment. Hmm...

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Coat

@diodesign

No, he clearly meant Babylon 5.

Check out the pics here if you have any more doubts.

2. TheVogon

Re: In a fight over...

"What Star Trek fan carries a pocket knife?"

An American that can't afford a gun?

1. macjules

"What Star Trek fan carries a pocket knife?"

One that can not do a Vulcan Nerve Pinch I should think.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Are you trolling us?

Yes, obviously.

4. illiad

https://youtu.be/auwSYKzQDdc

5. SuccessCase

Who voted for Star Trek being better than Star Wars? Name a time and a place. I'll see you fuckers later.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Name a time and a place

Time: A long time ago

Place: In a galaxy far, far away

1. Tom 38
          Coat

Re: Name a time and a place

What about Andromeda?!

OK OK, I'm leaving...

6. ciderbuddy

The Babylon 5 picture is the most blatant act of trolling there has ever been. So much hate for that show

1. TRT Silver badge

Wasn't bab5 rendered on an an Amiga rendering farm, though? Using... what was it? Damn my memory... Maya?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'Wasn't bab5 rendered on an an Amiga rendering farm, though? Using... what was it? Damn my memory... Maya?'

NewTek LightWave 3D.

2. Drefsab_UK

For the pilot and seasons 1-3 all special effects were done by Foundation Imaging, The networked Amiga's were only used for the pilot, for the rest they used 12 Pentium PCs and 5 DEC Alpha workstations for 3D rendering and design, and 3 Macs for on-set computer displays

From season four on-wards special effects were brought in-house to Netter Digital Imaging (a subsidiary of the B5's production company). I don't know what hardware they used but they did say like Foundation imaging they did use Lightwave 3D.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ciderbuddy; Get a grip, man. Yes, it was trolling- but so obviously so that it's clearly a good natured joke most of us are going to get, like this or this.

No-one's actually insulting Babylon 5, which was a great show. I myself tuned in every week to watch Captain Rogers fight the Cylons. Happy memories...

7. Richard 31

Anyway we all know George La Forge was the best Babylon 5 character, and in his wise words: "Use the Force Harry"

2. David 132 Silver badge
    Pint

Meh

The Star Wars trilogy was OK, I guess (apart from the one with the wombles). Such a shame they didn't make any more after RoTJ.

I will now simultaneously put my fingers in my ears and don my flameproof suit.

Beer, because it's Friday afternoon and we shouldn't take life too seriously.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Meh

"RoTJ"

Rise of the Joe-jobs?

1. TRT Silver badge

Rise of TJ Hooker.

1. Danny 14

The problem with star wars (now) is disney retcinning everything. Almost everything star wars has been destroyed by disney so star trek wins by default.

In fact a star trek lover can win any argument now by claiming only canon arguments count.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Read this in voice of yoda, you must!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How wude!

Mesa day startin pretty okee-day with a brisky morning munchy, then BOOM! Gettin very scared and grabbin that Jedi and POW! Mesa here! Mesa gettin' very very scared!

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
        Happy

Re: How wude!

Of all the JarJar (de)motivational posters I'll never forget the one with "meesa a stupid geeza" caption.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ewoks.f@$!$ Ewoks

Who are you people voting for Return of the Jedi? The film in which sentient teddy bears win the day. I thought people here were mostly of unusual intelligence

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Ewoks.f@$!$ Ewoks

Cos I'm a Star Trek fan and didn't know what to vote for out of the Star Wars choices. There should have been The Original Series as well as next generation in the last question of the poll too! :-)

1. DavCrav

"There should have been The Original Series as well as next generation in the last question of the poll too! :-)"

I don't think including TOS as an option would have altered the results much.

2. The First Dave

DS9 deliberately left off?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As long as the Empire designs stupid dinosaur-like vehicles.... everybody knows little children like teddy bear and dinosaur toys...

4. TheVogon

"Who are you people voting for Return of the Jedi? The film in which sentient teddy bears win the day."

Like the other episodes are any more credible?!

5. Tromos

No contest

My vote for best goes to Bab5.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge
      Angel

Re: No contest

"My vote for best goes to Bab5."
      And mine goes to Battlestar Galactica.

1. Captain DaFt

> "My vote for best goes to Bab5."

> And mine goes to Battlestar Galactica.

Pfft! Firefly was best.

1. IT Hack

> "My vote for best goes to Bab5."

> And mine goes to Battlestar Galactica.

>Pfft! Firefly was best

That would be Blakes 7.

mic drop

1. LaeMing
            Boffin

ORAC saying "I am closing down. I have much to do. You have wasted my processing on your petty affairs for far too long." is my work PC's shutdown sound.

1. h4rm0ny

That's funny. Avon saying: "Have you considered amputation?" has been my default reply to anyone complaining of a headache to me for years.

Doesn't win me many friends, though. :(

1. Mark York 3 Silver badge
                Pint

My wife doesn't appreciate it either.

2. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

I tend to invoke the Tachyon Funnel

2. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

You have a computer with a shutdown sound? How quaint.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

You have a computer with a shutdown sound? How quaint.

With extra "rubber mallet to the head" points if it's a shared office..

2. LaeMing
                Linux

"You have a computer with a shutdown sound? How quaint."

Not as quaint as the 10-15 minutes it takes to boot to a usable state in the morning (Commercial OS, of course: My home Linux box of older hardware boots up from cold - including > equivalent start-up software - in about 28 seconds).

But work pays me to use the tools they provide.

2. Paul 129
            Terminator

>> "My vote for best goes to Bab5."

>> And mine goes to Battlestar Galactica.

>>Pfft! Firefly was best

>That would be Blakes 7.

>mic drop

Sigh, I must be the only one who liked Caprica

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Space Above And Beyond.

Never actually watched it but I wanted to throw something new into the mix.

1. MJI Silver badge

SAAB was actually pretty good, I just wanted series 2

2. 0laf

I rewatched it recently, some of it is very clunky but it was starting to show promise just as it was canned (like many things) and Kristen Cloke did terrible things to my teenage hormones.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> Sigh, I must be the only one who liked Caprica

Did you forget to tick 'Post Anonymously'?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Any B7 fans out there need to watch the spoof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWuTeR7xCU4

Orac saying 'are we there yet' in a plaintive voice gets me every time :) Very much like the time he was interrupted and said 'but what about the game?' even though imminent danger was looming :)

Some of the best (and possibly worst) lines ever written were in B7.

1. h4rm0ny

I reckon I can top that:

Star Wrek (Full Movie)

Captain Pirk meets Commander Sherrypie. Affectionately sends up both B5 and ST at the same time. Worth it for the AMI Bios boot screen gag alone.

2. Paul 129
                Happy

I have no shame ;-)

2. I Like Heckling Silver badge

You're all forgetting Farscape which was on par with most of the top rated suggestions... and if you mention muppets I'll frelling kick you in the mevonks. :P

1. d3rrial

You guys have clearly never watched Lexx which is superior to all other things you posted.

1. h4rm0ny

I discovered Lexx late at night on Channel 4 many, many years ago. It was the first episode and the moment a computer glitch switched the fates of a wanted terrorist with an assembly of school children who had arrived for an award ceremony, I knew I had to watch all of it. It's on Amazon Prime at the moment so I re-watched it the first couple of episodes. And guess what - the sight of a bunch of smug school children being sentenced to death by lizard still makes me laugh.

Honestly, neither Star Wars (no science), nor Star Treck (awful science) come close to the holy trinity of space nonsense that are Babylon 5, Blake 7 and Lexx.

2. Gurhurk

My wife (not a nerd) called Farscape "Muppet in a bucket". My own view of it never recovered from hearing that

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Talk about pissing contests! BSG2 only made it on the air because they pitched it as "just as good" as B5 but with lots more sex sex sex. With sex added they got a decent budget, unlike B5 which limped along on back-of-sofa funds. Talk about oily robotic action series and vehicles for washed up actors! "Hey, let's get Xena! That'll help our ratings!"

You get more with a kind word and a two-by-four and splashy SEX than with just a kind word and a plot.

(Me, bitter? Naah. "So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.")

(Oh, god, I'm defending a ~20 year-old against a ~13 year-old TV series. Well, that's better than defending the first trilogy Gah!)

1. Steve Taylor 3

> Oh, god, I'm defending a ~20 year-old against a ~13 year-old TV series.

Worse yet, you're knocking Xena. And this whole article's about fighting words in nerd land!

1. james 68

Nope.

Red Dwarf for the win. Smeg all the others.

1. David 132 Silver badge
              Happy

Red Dwarf for the win. Smeg all the others.

And its near-cousin, Hyperdrive.

"You have done a bad thing. We are going to re-habilitate you.

Watch the kitten. She does not question authority! Be like the happy kitten!

And look! Another kitten, sitting in a hat! What a lovely world it is where kittens can sit in hats!"

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

stargate sg-1 and atlantis

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Stargate, brilliant.

Stargate atlantis, utter drivel.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

I prefer Firefly as best Scifi series, which certainly got cancelled before it's time. Stargate SG-1 was good too, SG:Atlantis had its moments but sometimes felt a little too grandiose for it's own good. SG:U started off terrible but worked it's way up to being actually quite good by the time it got cancelled and IMHO should have been given atleast 1 more season.

Star Wars as a series of movies isn't all that terrible, but a little pompous at times and terrible at others. Star Trek introduced a lot of the now standard elements of Scifi but there are many, many terrible, horrible stories/episodes offset against the good ones and the acting is not always that great either imho. A bit like watching old Dr. Who at times. Wobbly sets and all.

Babylon5, DS9, etc I've never even seen, so can't comment.

2. Franco

Go to purple alert!

Are you sure Sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Worse yet, you're knocking Xena.

Which (in my book) is a Good ThingTM

Yes - Lucy Lawless is a good actor. Yes - some of the special effects were OK. But wholesale stealing and mushing together of various myths and histories?

Nauseating.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Battlestar Galactica.

Or "Eastenders in Space" as it's otherwise known. More soap opera than space opera.

6. tfewster

Question 3

x The one with 7 of 9 in it

1. Chris G

Re: Question 3

My exact thought; Star wars; Princess Leia, Star Trek; 7 of 9!

In addition Star Wars was a Hollywood epic from day 1, Trek was a low budget TV series that took its time to win the hearts and minds of its followers, it was cheesy but nevertheless raised issues, asked questions and was, for it's day very multicultural and quite egalitarian. It was closer to real sci-fi, in my opinion SW is more sci-fantasy with the force and hi-tech beings battling with swords, even if they are hi-tech swords.

Oh, I don't much like fluffy cuddly warriors or (the real killer for SW) any franchise that could introduce a JarJarBinks.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The one with 7 of 9 in it"

That's Google surely.... .

1. Aladdin Sane

It's all about H2G2.

"I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side..."

7. DarkLordofSurrey

Was it a Darth Vader choke or a Vulcan neck pinch?

And before he passed out did he say "You have been and always will be my friend..." or "You already have, Jerome. You were right. You were right about me... "

8. iRadiate

You're a trick.

Is that really an insult?

That's what I came here to ask too. Someone calling me "a trick" is more likely to leave me standing their a bit non-plussed, not turn me into a psychotic homicidal maniac.

2. Mark York 3 Silver badge

Up a tree!

You missed something.

9. ChubbyBehemoth
    Mushroom

Trick

The Next Generation? WTF!!! That's not Star Trek!

Oh,.. you can leave it blank...

10. John Gamble

Nice picture choice. The only thing that would make it better is if you Photoshopped the Stargate behind them.

1. LaeMing
      Alien

I think I would have to vote Stargate simply because they never took themselves so seriously (well, except Universe, and we all know how that turned out!).

2. Haku
      1. Haku

Re: Challenge accepted.

Whilst I'm on the subject of TV show mashups, an old picture I made:

haku.co.uk/b3ta/KnightTeamTrek.jpg

"I aint getting in no transporter, fool!"

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"I aint getting in no transporter, fool!"

No, you really shouldn't!

1. Haku

Hadn't seen that video before, I liked it.

But the possible reality of an actual working transporter is far far scarier than accidentally merging two entities together.

Sleep tight!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

haku.co.uk/b3ta/KnightTeamTrek.jpg

I can't quite work out why that's as funny as it is.

11. kain preacher

motherfuckingbastards. Every one knows DS9 was the best sci fi show ever. Well after fire fly that is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mission

DS9 - Its five year mission; to stay where it is and wait for people to visit.

1. joeW

Re: Mission

"Sisko's on a mission

To go no bloody place

He loiters on a space station

Above Bajoran space

The wormhole's opened up and now

They come from near and far

We'll keep the booze but please send back

The fucking Jem-hadar!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ieccm5PWA1I

2. I Like Heckling Silver badge

Whilst I actually agree that DS9 was (so far) the best of the Star Trek series... it's still way short of shows like Firefly, Farscape, Babylon 5 and so forth. It's on par with SG1, BSG...

What I'm more interested in is what people think are the 'Worst' shows of the last 30yrs... that's sure to cause a few fisticuffs. :)

12. Black Rat
    Joke

This is for all time the Ultimate Showdown. (sing along if you've had enough beer lol)

https://youtu.be/4WgT9gy4zQA

13. Haku
    Coat

"Get a life will you people, I mean, for crying out loud, it's it's just a TV show"

haku.co.uk/kirk.wav

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: "Get a life will you people, I mean, for crying out loud, it's it's just a TV show"

Still one of my favorite Saturday Night Live skits. "Get a life!"

http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/howtowatchTV/clips/shatner-takes-on-star-trek-fans-on-snl/view

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
        Happy

Re: "Get a life will you people, I mean, for crying out loud, it's it's just a TV show"

I'll raise you with roasting of SW nerds.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I'm going Luddite and voting for Game of Thrones!

Sure, there is too much sexposition in season 1. And the Sand Snakes bite in a disappointment kind of way.

However:

No Jar-Jar, no Wesley, no stomach-curdling romance between Anakin and Padme, no overwrought Cold War-analogy episodes, no microbes that cause an infection of The Force, no Melvin Belli, no captain always EMPHASIZING the wrong WORDS in a sentence, no whiny Episode IV Luke, no horrifying future of inbred mutant humpback whales (They only brought TWO back to the 23rd century!) no elite galaxy-conquering stormtrooper army getting butt-kicked by the neolithic residents of Build-A-Bear's Moon of Misfit Toys, etc.

If anyone has a problem with this, I am accepting trial-by-combat challengers. (I'll be wearing the snazzy red leather and light chain armor that Oberyn is no longer using!)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm going Luddite and voting for Game of Thrones!

Am I bad I actually like Wesley...

...'s stories ideas. Not the character, but the episodes often had some good ideas and sci-fi to them.

1. HelpfulJohn

Wesley breaks the One Highest law on yet another alien world.

Wesley is sentenced to death.

Prime Directive compels Picard to accept The One Highest Law.

"But he's my *SONNNNNN!!!!" and "THINK_OF_THE_CHILDREN_well, maybe just THE CHILD!!!", whines the Doc as she fluffs her giant hair while she thrusts forward her frontal airbags so aggressively suggestively that even a blind mole rat on a distant planet would know she was mammalian.

Picard saves annoying, brainless, unthinking Problem yet again by sort of breaching P.D.

Drinks at Captain's Place.

Next week's titanic episode: Wesley gets into trouble ... bathos ensues.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> I'm going Luddite and voting for Game of Thrones!

Not so much Luddite as Mr Irrelevant.

GoT is not Star Wars or Star Trek, it's not even Sci-Fi.

3. HelpfulJohn

" ... inbred mutant humpback whales (They only brought TWO back to the 23rd century!) "

Yes, but no one ever said Gracie was pregnant by the other one, that introduces a little genetic diversity. Also, Kirk-time "science" has genetic manipulation and Transporters so Gracie could have a litter of giant, fluffy, winged kittens with thumbs should anyone be bothered to create such a thing.

And, let us not forget, there are literally god-level beings wandering about the Strekian universe by the quadrillion any of whom could have been politely asked to fix the inbreeding issue in any of a thousand magical ways. Kirk made pals with a few, Picard annoyed a couple and even the duck-voiced Janeway got bothered by one. It's quite surprising that "Get-a-god-to-fix-it" wasn't the main trope used for the movies.

15. TXITMAN

Deep Snooze 9

The photo is triggering all by itself.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Son of a hasmot

It's all about Farscape.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Son of a hasmot

Great start, then hit the "we are all going crazy" trope of sci-fi/space opera too much IMO.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whilst I enjoy most sci-fi my favourite was voyager because it had the dungeons and dragons (cartoon) we can get home but ethically we can't do it vibe in a lot of episodes.

My favourite star trek film is also number 4 voyage home.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Show yourselves downvoters.

I just expressed a personal opinion of what I like. I really don't give a flying fuck what you like but I'll defend your right to express it without criticism unless of course it's battlefield earth then I'll tell you to fuck right off back to the seventh church of the mother fuckwit Jehovah's.

On a side note I can't watch ROTJ with the new ending, the ewoks were great and I'm sorry but GL should have left it alone. JJ Binks on the other hand was a twat and came across as a Jamaican frog with aids.

Can you tell I'm a little pissed off?

1. imanidiot Silver badge

I prefer the JarJar Binks is secretly a sith lord theory. In which case he is still an annoying twat but some of the bullshit makes sense.

19. DarkwavePunk
  20. Dave Ross

pointless argument

When we all know that Zardoz is teh greatest! :p

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: pointless argument

Best thing about that is Starburns' tribute in Community.

2. DropBear

Re: pointless argument

Oh come on... what's next, SeaQuest DSV...?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Tomorrow People

And not that stupid Yank remake that missed the point entirely, and tried to remake Buffy.

22. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Mushroom

Now I've woken up

and not in grumpy 1/2 asleep mode

I think the greatest sci-fi thing has got to be

Kerbal Space program..... for showing us mortals just how f***ing hard it is getting into space in the first place .....

Explosion icon...linked with KSP forever

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Now I've woken up

> I think the greatest sci-fi thing has got to be

Second maybe, after Flash¹. Of course they play with advantage since Ornella Muti was in it.

¹ Ah-aaaash!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Blade Runner (the original, don't know if there were any sequels or remakes) wasn't bad either, even if it didn't involved people going into space (I think).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Blade runner now has a sequel and the some characters were ex astronauts/space workers. But it did the right thing, in that it never showed any of that bit. It was in the background, part of the culture and not part of the story.

23. lee harvey osmond

I'll take an Aught Three

Try using the Jedi Mind Trick on Jayne Cobb. That's not going to go so well, he doesn't have much of a mind, tiny but very very hard and shiny.

OK I shall fetch my brown coat.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Best spacey-type series ever, no arguments!

Fireball XL5.

Mine's the brown one, as it happens..

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Best spacey-type series ever, no arguments!

I was just young enough to watch the first seasons.

1. TRT Silver badge

UFO for me.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@TRT I cannot concentrate now! You made me recall Gabby Drake in UFO, far too distracting

25. scrubber
    Coat

"Whyte has since been charged with assault, possession of marijuana"

The weeds of the many...

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: "Whyte has since been charged with assault, possession of marijuana"

*groan* :)

1. Fink-Nottle

Re: "Whyte has since been charged with assault, possession of marijuana"

the spice must flow ...

26. Phil W

The long night has come...

Andromeda gets far too little credit in these threads. It had it's flaws but it was very watchable in a lot of ways.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: The long night has come...

It wasn't bad.

2. Tom 38

Andromeda is truly the worst written show in history. Each season had a pivot that made no sense in continuity to the previous season, and by the 3rd season they just gave up with continuity all together.

There were only two things that made it remotely watchable was Lexa Doig, and the comedy factor of the writing.

3. Vic

Andromeda gets far too little credit in these threads. It had it's flaws but it was very watchable

Not for me, it wasn't. Every time I put it on, my then-girlfriend would tell me at great length how much she didn't like it.

It was years before I managed to get through an entire episode without having to rewind gert chunks of it...

Vic.

27. Androgynous Cow Herd

You're all wrong

Futurama.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

So those are two different films then?

Not that one cares one way or another, mind.

29. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Trollface

Alien Nation

Ok, you get the knife, I'll stab myself :)

30. King Jack
    Thumb Up

You are all wrong

Outer Space Astronauts. The cream of sci-fi.

Windows

Re: You are all wrong

ITYM Morons From Outerspace, the pinnacle of British SciFi!

1. King Jack
        FAIL

Re: You are alll wrong

No I don't. 'Outer Space Astronauts' ran for 5 episodes on the SyFy channel around 2011. It was cut-out animation with real peoples heads grafted on. Definitely a US production, missed by the masses but very funny.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Final Conflict?

You would imagine two grown men could Leia aside their differences.

32. twenex1978

Fighting over this is stupid.

Anyone who thinks Star Wars is better than Star Trek is not worth fighting. They're clearly an idiot.

33. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

I think you all meant "Blake's 7"

34. davenewman

Come on, the best SF on TV was and ever will be Doctor Who.

No. 2 is The Sparticle Mystery

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Come on, the best SF on TV was and ever will be Doctor Who.

You are wrong.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

You missed out the bit where Graham Chapman plays The Doctor so it's you who are wrong. (You can't tell me that's not Jo Grant on the stool.)

"You can't tell me that's not Jo Grant on the stool."
          Indeed. Not hard at all to imagine her standing for Parliament as a Green Party candidate...

35. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

ST:TOS - The City on the Edge of Forever.

36. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

What is this ballot?

There isn't even "Alien" (aka "Space Truckers vs. Illegal Immigrants") on it. Space-Pirate based arms-bearing libertarianism is also forgotten. Why even vote? And one cannot even disfigure the ballot. Is this modern democracy!

Completely gratuitous article on voter abstention by someone who actually likes Corbyn: Elections: Absenteeism, Boycotts and the Class Struggle.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is funny, I've just realised the purpose of the poll,

"IT'S A TRAP"

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mr Flibble is very cross ..!

1. Aladdin Sane

I used to have an image of that as an error screen on a web app. I should not be allowed to do code unsupervised.

39. applebyJedi

This is the correct order

Firefly

Serenity

Blakes 7

Space 1999 (1st Series)

Sapphire and Steel

The Tomorrow People (70's version)

UFO

and only then can you start to decide where to put Star Wars and Star Trek

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is the correct order

the love boat was the greatest sci-fi ever, Every week new aliens giving opinions and joining in the plots

2. TRT Silver badge

Sorry. You had Firefly and Serenity in that list. Meh! No Lexx, I notice. But UFO and Space:1999 are excellent. Dr Who is missed out of course as it goes without saying.

3. CentralCoasty
      Flame

I am sorry but you have missed the flaming obvious.

WHERE IS "THE BOOK"? How can you have any list like this without it? We quote it, we emulate it, we breath it.... and its not even in your list!

Although I will give you bonus points for Space 1999! I used to love that....

... but am sad that you missed out Joe 90.....

4. CentralCoasty
      Facepalm

Unbelievable..... .I missed out the CLANGERS!

1. TRT Silver badge

The Clangers vs Predator.

1. Aladdin Sane

Like the Predator even stands a chance.

2. Soruk
          Go

In "Clangers vs Predator", the Predator would HAVE to be voiced by a kazoo.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nice: it was getting a bit boring reading all those lists of the best sci fi, so you decided to list the worst.

Good job.

40. ecofeco Silver badge

5th Element

Seems to be the one I rewatch the most. I know, I didn't expect it either.

1. Meph

Re: 5th Element

I'm not going to get into the "which one is best" pissing contest, for a huge number of reasons, but in terms of Sci-Fi that I've enjoyed, I'd add in two up and coming newbies:

Killjoys (Canadian made series I believe) for snappy one liners and some interesting long term plot arcs

and

The Expanse. It started fairly badly, I'll grant you, but the plot started to develop nicely by the end of the first season. Hopefully season two will be out some time this century.......

1. I Like Heckling Silver badge

Good call on Killjoys and The Expanse (the book series is epic sci-fi and book 7 out this Xmas)... The Expanse is more Sci-Fi meets old timey Noir detective genre. If like me you'd read the first couple of books before the series came out, then you'll see how they streamlined the plot a little. but book one didn't end until midway through season 2 and we're only halfway through book 2 at the end of S2... So if you are waiting for season to start, you missed it by several months as it's been and gone and is available in various disreputable places.... don't forget that to err is human but to Arrrrrgggg is piracy. :P

If it was a stasis leak... this is where Rimmer would pop out of the table mumbling about things getting all confusing.

and I'd like to throw in Dark Matter currently it and Killjoys have each just started Season 3.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Dark Matter even has some Wesley Crusher to make it vaguely relevant to the argument.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AH!! Sapphire and Steel!!

The only show that made perfect sense - as long as you were stoned.

Back to ST TNG, I always had big issues with the huge effing mistake in the opening Credits; they had the sunlight on the WRONG side Jupiter. Sun clearly on the left, right hand side of the Planet lit up.

Although I suppose it could be worse.

Anyone else notice that (According to Series one of "The 100"), "Gravity" is related to having any air; remove the air from the airlock and you float; pump the air back in, and you sink to the floor - in a rotating space station!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AH!! Sapphire and Steel!!

> Back to ST TNG, I always had big issues with the huge effing mistake in the opening Credits; they had the sunlight on the WRONG side Jupiter. Sun clearly on the left, right hand side of the Planet lit up.

Obviously the answer is time travel.

Clearly the Xindi went back in time and gave the solar system two suns for the duration of the title and then Captain Archer went back and fixed it.

42. Inspector71

Club with only one member

Space: Above and Beyond

1. Inspector71

Re: Club with only one member

Well, thanks for the upvotes guys, I always thought I was the only one.

2. Andrew Moore

Wildcards for the win!!!

1. Aladdin Sane
        Mushroom

NUKE THE CHIGS!

1. Inspector71
          Alien

I rewatched the whole series again recently and it holds up really well. OK the Saratoga looks a bit Minecraft but it still looks great. The thread throughout about fear of the other really chimes now with the in-vitros, the AI silicates and even the Chigs.

Icon > Chiggy Von Richthofen

3. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Right, a remake of "Tour of Duty", mashed together with "Top Gun" and "Starship Troopers".

Real logical, train a bunch of people to fly super sophisticated space fighters, then use them as infantry grunts for 90% of the time.

FFS the opening credits contained clones of several ToD credit scenes!!

1. Inspector71
        Angel

You forgot Platoon which was the "inspiration" for Tour of Duty or say Joe Haldeman's The Forever War or Aliens or.........

All I said was I liked it. Didn't say it was original.

43. fishman

Enterprise

I've been watching Enterprise lately. Like all Trek spinoffs it doesn't start getting decent until the 3rd season. I figure it tanked because of the Meh quality of the first two seasons, and Trek exhaustion from so many consecutive years of Trek on TV.

44. I am the liquor

A few more decent shows that got cancelled before their time, while Star Trek franchises tediously trudged on and on:

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles

Dark Angel

Defying Gravity

Odyssey 5

45. This is my handle

Surprised by the enthusiasm of fellow Trekkers ...

... for what I always call Deep Sh*t Nine, .... they don't "Boldly go ... " anywhere. It kind of ruined it for me. Also, they have money. Both Kirk & Picard pontificate often about the nastiness of societies where money makes the world go 'round, even as Riker goes off to play poker and Paramount kept milking the cash cow that ST became. DS9 might have been a very nice series on it's own but it's a black sheep of the ST family, IMHO.

1. salamamba too

Re: Surprised by the enthusiasm of fellow Trekkers ...

While B5 was always better, I quite liked DS9. Your comment about money would make sence if it had been a federation station, but really it was bajoran under a federation "protectorate" type agreement.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: they don't boldly go anywhere

As a rule they didn't really boldly go anywhere in the other series either, given that they'd invariably start each episode in exactly the same place, plot-wise, as they started the previous one.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just to throw this in the mix.

Tripping the rift. Crude cartoon but sooo funny.

Star Trek: The animated series.

Martian Chronicles

The Invaders

47. Admiral Grace Hopper

Space 1999

I'm glad there's some love for Space 1999, but not as much as I'd hoped for. Kids these days ...

48. Ramazan

As a TV series, Babylon 5 beats all non-anime space operas hands down. Nothing is really close. If we add animated series to the question, Futurama may look better than B5 for some, and Knights of Sidonia is clearly the best space opera / sci-fi series of all times.

1. Rattus Rattus

@Ramazan

Knights of Sidonia

Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu

Planetes

Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory

Martian Successor Nadesico

49. matjaggard

Anything with Star in the title is crap

And yes, I include "Stars in their eyes"

This is just proof of why people should stfu regarding Star rubbish.

50. I sound like Peter Griffin!!

jussayin...

NONE of you would have a universe to rave about if Voltron didn't defend it...

You're all welcome!

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why is it that I can not vote for Star Gate?

52. Disk0
    Alien

No love

for Red Dwarf??

53. RainForestGuppy

You're all wrong!!

There is only one true 'Space Opera'........

Piiiigggs in Spaaaacccceeee

1. Trollslayer

Re: You're all wrong!!

*bows*

54. Kepple

Many years ago, in the Virgin Games Centre on Oxford Street, I watched a pair of grown men almost come to blows in an argument over who would win in a battle between the USS Enterprise and an Imperial Star Destroyer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well since if I recall correctly, the Imperial Star Destroyers used 'turbo lasers', and the USS Enterprise shields were supposed to be impervious to lasers, and it has greater manoeuvrability, I would suspect Enterprise could win, but I am unaware of the other weapons the star destroyer has available.

I would find it a fascinating discussion over a few cold ciders!

2. MJI Silver badge

Which Enterprise?

_ and A would do it,

D would walk it

Defiant would absolutely destroy it.

3. Soruk

A better one would be the Death Star vs Borg Cube.

55. Come to the Dark Side

Froods

Sitting with my towel, sipping a pangalacticgargleblaster and reading this with bemusement.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Froods

I sass you.

56. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Easy ...

Trumps agenda - plenty of alien bashing in that ...

57. DasWezel
    Trollface

Which is better?

Surely they're all the same?

(Braced and ready for the tirade of downvotes!)

58. Trollslayer
    Flame

At least we are safe

From ElRegers growing up

59. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If we are going to go Animé

Cowboy Bebop.

60. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Moonbase Alpha?

Buck Rogers?

Oh.

What about Robotech? The one with the Miss Macross Contest? Minmei?

Or Thunderbirds?

Ah well.

Buck Rogers?

How about Dan Dare?

2. Vic

Buck Rogers?

Mmmm. Erin Gray...

Vic.

61. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

And the drokkin poll is rigged, what about the drokkin last question? Eh?

62. Mystereed

Can I just say...

...that we have been blessed with so much brilliant stuff to watch over the years?

I haven't clicked on so many up-votes ever!

Don't fight - love the things you love :-)

63. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Two more for the list ...

Terrahawks and Space Precinct ... Gerry Anderson classics!

64. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Star Trek or Star Wars?

Ambassador Kosh says "Yes".

65. Pompous Git Silver badge

What I want to know is...

Which is worse: The Green Slime, or Attack of the Killer Tomatoes?

66. Tom Paine
    WTF?

Blake's 7

This wasn't my observation, and I'm badly mangling it thru age-related bitflips. But:

Star Trek: Galaxy is ruled by the Federation, a benevolent, democratic association between many species, all living in more-or-less harmony

Blake's 7: Galaxy si ruled by the Federation, a ruthlessly violent authoritarian dictatorship

Star Trek: our heroes are the diverse crew of a spaceship doing a combination of humanitarian and military work. They work together selflessly as a mostly-harmonious team under a brilliant leader.

Blake's 7: our heroes (?) are mostly escaped criminals, with a couple of idealistic freedom fighter types, supposedly to attack the Federation but with plenty of larcenous sidelines and personal agendas. Held together mostly by expediency, the group is shot through with envy, ambition, greed and distrust and suspicion ending in the gradual mental disintegration of a leading character who finally kills the leader in a fit of paranoia.

They both have FTL travel, personal teleportation and rayguns, but the computers in Blake's 7 are way, WAYYYYY cooler than anything I'm aware of in ST.

And at the end of the final scene of the final show of the final series they all die, executed in cold blood, one by one, in horrible slow-motion, leaving only the by now completely insane Avon surrounded by the space Gestapo, holding a sort of ray-gun assault rifle with a telescopic stock. He smiles the maddest smile, the most terrifying and heartstopping expression, slowly begins the raise the gun...

Fade to black...

Sound of blaster shots.

Silence.

Roll credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9feQ2sXhu0

Absolutely the greatest ending of a TV series of all time. Has anyone else ever done this? Ever?

Imagine if Star Trek ended with Spock shooting Kirk before the crew are gunned down by Klingons! Only the BBC could dare to do such a thing (and arguably only decades ago; lord knows how it would go down if suggested now.) The disbelief and shock was really pretty gobsmacking. (It was a broadcast at 8pm and had a big family audience!) The sets were wobbly, the spaceship floors were clearly chipboard, some of the acting left a little to be desired and there was *cough* a certain amount of potboiling writing, I concede, but for all that it was always a lot more true to real life and the human condition than Star Trek's airless, airbrushed set pieces and creative writing school committees of writers. Please don't take umbrage, ST fans - I'm not criticising you - it's not your *fault* you haven't seen enough B7 to realise the truth.... ;)

67. kbutler.toledo

soapy, soapy, soapy ...

They were both detestable in melodrama and impractical in any application of the so-called sciences they tried to apply to their themes.

Mankind goes forth for money, plain and simple. Ask the American Indians, the Aztecs, the peoples of the South Seas, the "Abo's" of Australia.

Get the theme right and the sciences applied right and then ask me again which 'show' was better. I've watched many and most, Firefly comes closest to true theme based on true life, although the science was questionable. The movie Serenity, based on Firefly was bad science as well but closer than almost every other show on motive.

Re-ask the question as: Which is closer to reality? Dystopia or Utopia ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon