back to article Brit teen accused of running malware factory and helpdesk for crims

A British teenager is accused of flogging and supporting malware used to launch distributed denial-of-service attacks against top multinationals. Jack Chappell, 18, from Stockport in Cheshire, appeared before Manchester magistrates on Tuesday charged with impairing the operation of computers under the UK's Computer Misuse Act …

1. Pen-y-gors

Punishment fit the crime

You will work on a BT helpdesk in India for TEN YEARS! <fx cell door closing>

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Increasing surveillance of the Internet and phones should fix situations like this, right?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure Stockport isn't in the West Midlands at least it wasn't the last time I checked.

I also note that on the statement by the police in the picture it appears the network cable is not plugged in on the laptop, good luck monitoring ddos attacks over a wifi connection.

1. Pen-y-gors

Na, Stockport isn't in the West Midlands, it's in somewhere called County. Chap on the telly keeps saying things like

Stockport, County 1 Birmingham, City 2

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very enterprising. Since all new enterprises are some sort of financialization scam, or theft of public property, he will do well in our "dynamic" economy.

Just don't get caught until you've made your first 10mil.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"An unnamed US citizen has also been charged."

I just read that as "an unarmed US citizen" and then realised there's no such thing.

1. Tromos

@Doctor Syntax

Just like I usually read "Uniformed officer" as "Uninformed officer". It often makes more sense that way.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: @Doctor Syntax

@Doctor Syntax

For some reason I keep reading Shop-fitter as Shop-lifter.

I think my mind must be too highly-trained...

2. bobblestiltskin

My head always explodes with the contradictions of the phrase 'military intelligence'.

1. Mark 85

Add "honest politician" to that...

6. theModge

In a similar vein, all draft reports are daft reports in my mind

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I'm glad it's not just me. I put it down to horrible thin sans-serif fonts and my glasses needing cleaning.

7. Sanctimonious Prick
    Mushroom

Hey! Guys! Come one! This is supposed to be serious shit!

(ever just taken a mouthful of Corn Flakes as you're reading commentards, then found those flakes coming out of your nose? i have)

:)

1. Captain DaFt

@ Sanctimonious Prick

Pro tip:

Refrain from eating and drinking while reading El Reg comments.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More, no less, err something, ENCRYPTION!

Whatever.

9. FozzyBear

Ummm.

What support and payment model does he have for his support business?

I only ask as our company has an outsourced support model. It has reached new heights for disservice and charges. So I'm willing to take a shot on anyone that can

-Understand English

-Find the On/off switch to a computer

-Support capabilities extend past retry or reboot.

- Most importantly have the intelligence to know which end of the phone they need to speak into

I know, I know my expectations are unrealistic.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ummm. Gizzza etc.

I need a job, I will take it.

Given the low entry requirement I imagine this does not entail filling out some bullshit application form that takes two days to complete? Or paying fifty pounds for a DBS check.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ummm.

"Support capabilities extend past retry or reboot."

If you're a Windows based shop thats about as good as it gets I'm afraid. Not because the engineers are incompetent but because that usually works and is about the extent of troubleshooting possible on Windows. Unless you can find the Rosetta stone of overly generic and incomprehensible error messages that is.

10. eJ2095

Yay Uk Justice....

Oh wait....

Computer misuse crimes carry more of a sentence then murder in the uk....

11. herman

W0t? He is not Russian and it was not a nation state actor?

12. Stollers

I hope the full arm of the law is used to send a message. I see many smart a** comments which are not helpful. This is a serious problem like terrorism

1. Pen-y-gors

@Stollers

This is a serious problem like terrorism

No, not at all like terrorism. With terrorism people get killed and maimed. With this, people lose money and get very pissed off. Bad but definitely not in the same league.

And you misunderstand the whole point of El Reg comments - we take the piss out of everything, or to be more positive, we like to see the humorous possibilities of all aspects of life on this amazing little blue dot in the vastness of the universe. If we didn't our brains would probably dissolve.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Unhappy

It's not like terrorism, he was DDOS'ing large companies, that's more like vandalism.

Oh, and I think your keyboard is broken, when you tried to type 'smart-arse-motherfuckers' it came out "a**" instead.

13. earl grey
    Facepalm

I can hardly wait for the defense.

he's got arseholers, erm...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This lad should not be punished harshly instead he should be offered a job he clearly has skill and the kind of people who create and enforce laws such as the computer misuse act don't understand technology in the slightest. Instead of stunting people like this they should have their skills nurtured this is just stupid

15. Joe Gurman

For more detail....

The alleged US perp:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/11/hack-of-attack-for-hire-service-vdos-snares-new-mexico-man/ .

Jack Chappell case:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/11/correcting-the-record-on-vdos-prosecutions/ .

Chappell, an adult in the eyes of the law, pleased guilty and will face sentencing next month.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like