back to article Hot news! Combustible Galaxy Note 7 to return as 'Galaxy Note FE'

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 is about to make its comeback. Several of the infamous phablets burst into flames, leading airlines to ban the device and Samsung to recall the device. Doing so saw the company's balance sheet flame out. Samsung's review of the device found it had put battery-makers' feet to the fire in an effort to …

1. Snowy Silver badge

Flamingly Expensive?

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Flame

Flaming Excrement? Paper bag supplied.

Warning: Item self-ignites, use protective gear if inserting in letterbox.

2. David Webb

Free Explosions, not an optional extra

3. Timbo

Formerly Explosive.....now just Famously Expensive (for what it is/will be) ;-)

2. Captain DaFt

I'll be nice for once ☺

It obviously stands for 'Flame Extinguished'!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll be nice for once ☺

No, it's for Fire Extinguisher. It will come in a bundle with a 10kg fire extinguisher, an app will automatically activate it when it detects the Galaxy is taking fire.

3. Captain Obvious

How about the obvious

Fire Edition

That is what entered my mind when I read FE

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe it's "flat earth" edition and they plan to push it in the UK due to the beliefs of some of our "elected" government.

The DUP, the gift that just keeps givingtaking.

5. Anonymous Tribble

Here's hoping that FE stands for Fixed Everything.

6. sanmigueelbeer
    Mushroom

FE = Flammable Equipment

FE is short for "Flammable Equipment".

7. Milton

Facile Emanations

El Reg articles are usually informative enough for the readership to overlook, or at least tolerate, the juvenile obsession with laboured puns and cringeworthy, silly headlines -- but an *entire piece* built around the letters "FE", containing no useful information or analysis *whatsoever*?

Guys ... it's a little pathetic. It's not as if you need to fill column inches: 'twere better to have published *nothing*.

1. Paul Hargreaves

Re: Facile Emanations

Not sure what analysis you were hoping for. I'll have a crack...

*** Analysis ***

Samsung have a lot of these units, which contain last years hardware and will likely only get 1 year of updates*. Technically a large proportion of the units will be refurbished so, at least in countries like the UK, wouldn't be able to be sold as 'new'. Which is one reason they won't be sold here, at least by Samsung.

The price of them is high when you consider the stock of units was already produced, so the only cost was for refurbishment (new, smaller battery). In all likelihood Samsung are trying to 'pull a fast one' and recoup a significant portion of the revenue lost from the original sale.

* Based on the experience of older Samsung devices like the S6, which got 2 years.

== End of Analysis

Side note: As an ex-Note 7 owner who was stiffed by Samsung through this debacle, my boycott of all things Samsung is still going strong. Well, all things apart from posts of course ;-)

2. garetht t

I counted 7 sentences of information, and 2 sentences of jokes about the initials FE. Manic exaggeration much?

An *entire comment* built around a false and hyperbolic complaint, containing no fact *whatsoever*?

Guy ... it's a little pathetic. It's not as if you need to comment: 'twere better to have commented *nothing*.

3. ssharwood

It's a followup story. One I felt was worth doing for the sake of completeness. It offered a chance for some fun. Seriously - what is Samsung doing having anything that alludes to its problems in this new name.

Anyway if you didn't like it I'll try for better puns next time. Or I could point you in the direction of our many recent scoops.

8. annodomini2

Father Ted special

Fecking Expensive

1. handleoclast

Re: Father Ted special

Fecking Eejits.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

9. MrDamage Silver badge

Fucking Eedjits

They're the ones buying them.

10. Spotswood

Fucktard Edition

Because, you just might be, if you buy that neutered already just about obsolescent device. Even more so, if they make you pay full price...

It's a shame (for Samsung), I was almost that Fucktard. It could have pulled me away from iOS, but I couldn't source one due to the recall. So now I have a 7 Plus and am happy with it. I wonder how many people like me there are...

11. Alister

What could FE stand for?

Perhaps it's built of iron?

1. jay_bea

Re: What could FE stand for?

F**kin' 'Ell

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What could FE stand for?

Fecal Ejection?

12. Aladdin Sane

Fucking Enormous

13. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

What's that you say? Femidom Edition?

Yeah, about as much of a marketing success as making Ubuntu brown.

14. TRT Silver badge

Maybe it's just...

Feh.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

They should have named it...

.... the Galaxy Phoenix...

16. Yesnomaybe

I'll get one if I can get it. My Note4 is starting to show its age. And I need the functionality.

17. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

US$600+ ??

There are better prices out there than that. Various options in the Asus Zenphones line-up for example (just one example). Brand new, not refurbished, not on fire. Best of all, not Samsung.

18. Lee D Silver badge

Fire Extinguisher.

Fire Extinguisher

19. Ozzard
    Go

Decent price and stylus? I'd have one

Indecent price? No thanks. But I miss my Note 2 - I used the stylus quite a bit. I've not really been able to justify the cost of the later Notes, but could be persuaded at a fire sale price.

20. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"reFurb Edition" ??

Since Samsung had a worldwide recall, is the FE simply a recalled phone refurbished with a replacement battery (slightly smaller to avoid the stress that caused them to go bang previously)?

21. dajames

It must be me ...

I read Galaxy Note FE and thought: 254?

1. Bob Vistakin
      Joke

Re: It must be me ...

Fahren Eight 451 - no reading allowed, and it has a special way to prevent you trying...

22. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Just Fire Emission will do

23. Bob Vistakin
    Flame

Futile Endeavour

Guys, the horse has bolted. Knock a zero off that price and you might get back in with those not burnt first time round.

24. JaitcH
    Meh

Unique Design - Burying Battery Deep Under the Electronics

This is the first electronic device I have seen where the battery is deeply buried in the electronics.

To access the battery it is necessary to remove the back of the device; then remove the rearmost PCB and, there, buried deep in the bowels of the device, is the exploding battery.

Pity the designers didn't try repairing the cell handsets themselves but service seems to be the last thing they think of.

VietNam has several Samsung plants, some of which built these portable bombs, and their employees part time working for cell handset repair Third Party stores. It is truly a remarkable sight to watch these moonlighting Samsung employees work - their skills are truly amazing. But they are fussy. They require that their work areas are almost identical to those in the factories - bright and spacious.

Still, if I can't change the battery without tools I will not be buying anything Samsung.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon