back to article Microsoft: We'll beef up security in Windows 10 Creators Edition Fall Update

The next big update to Windows 10 Creators Edition is out in the Fall – and Redmond is hyping up its security chops. For a start, we're told Windows Defender will be extended from client to Microsoft's server operating systems. In addition, Redmond is adding Windows Defender Exploit Guard and Application Guard to the security …

1. EddieD

Fall update...

I still haven't been offered the current Creator's update, so I'll probably get this in time for Christmas, if Santa is feeling particularly mischevious.

Enhancement of security tools is one thing though, enhancement of security another.

1. K

Re: Fall update...

I got it by downloading the last ISO and reinstalling from that... Your not missing much, they've added some spit and polish, that is honestly should have been in Windows 10 from the start (Like having stuff in the Settings, rather than Control Panel)..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I got it by downloading the last ISO and reinstalling from that... Your not missing much

Well, it DID break Aero Glass for Win 8+

2. Updraft102

"should have been in Windows 10 from the start (Like having stuff in the Settings, rather than Control Panel)..."

If you're using a phone or tablet, sure.

If you're using a PC, you shouldn't even be seeing the settings app. Control Panel is for PCs, settings for mobiles. Until MS gets this straight, I'm not going anywhere near Windows 10... though that's just one of a dozen things wrong with 10 that would have to be fixed first.

2. Howard Hanek
    Linux

Will That Be Corn Fed Beef?

.....corn being the operative word for MS 'promises'

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre

This might be the year MS became relevant

This comment's title may be far-streched, especially after reading the comments above, but these tools (which in some incarnation have been available in most of the more serious OSes for decades) are really going to be useful for those of us unfortunate enough to have to manage a large number of MS-locked boxen. A welcome addition. If it works.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: This might be the year MS became relevant

Are you calling windows 7 and 8.1 serious operating systems? Coz they have had EMET (which is what this is similar to) for ages. Call yourself a penguinista? Shame on you!

2. N2

Re: This might be the year MS became irrelevant

FTFY, Well they are trying pretty damm hard.

3. patrickstar

Re: This might be the year MS became relevant

For your information, your default Linux installation is a lot weaker when it comes to exploit mitigation than a Windows 7 box with EMET...

4. Anonymous Git

"Also new in the update is a suite called Windows Autopilot, which is a set of custom tools for IT admins designed to make their lives easier."

how about adding back those GPOs to the professional edition you a##holes

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

recycled news, we're going to do security, honest...

carp

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a PoS.

"The new code will lock any infection onto a local machine to stop it spreading"

Why not try stopping downloaded code installing in the first place.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Epic Fail

Nobody is intersted in Windows 10 now iOS 11 is in beta. One safer, obviusly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Epic Fail

Good to see your keyboard might finally be wearing out, can't come soon enough.

8. a_mu

wonder which browsers the new security guard works with

By By Google

9. Nolveys

Creator's Edition

What is with this "Creator's Edition" nonsense? MS had completely lost touch with its market. They need to go back to the drawing board and provide their customers with what we really need, "Alcoholic Wage Slave Edition".

1. hplasm
      Devil

Re: Creator's Edition

Unintelligent design, in the raw!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Para 3, line 2 - "new operating system". WTF

Windows 10 Creators edition is NOT a new operating system. It's just Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 Evolved. It is not new.

Also, I'm on the Inside Track, Fast ring. I'm getting quite annoyed by all the irrelevant shit MS keep adding to 10. I'm seriously thinking of jumping to Linux (I keep trying it, it's quite bland compared to Windows, but I would have much more control over what is included (or not included) on my workstation).

Somebody save me...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Para 3, line 2 - "new operating system". WTF

You missed XP, 2000, NT4 and probably Nt3.51 & win 3.11 of your list there!

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Jesus, take it easy. You know what we meant. I've changed it to "updated" to save you a heart attack.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thanks for the update. Didn't quite mean to come over so feverish! :-)

11. Refugee from Windows
    Linux

Application Guard

Just wonder where they got that idea from? Would be nice but knowing M$ it probably won't work properly when the underlying OS is built on a moving base. Good idea but I'm doubtful if the implementation will actually be of any use.

Want to see the next idea in Windows? Go and look elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppArmor

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Application Guard

> Just wonder where they got that idea from? Would be nice but knowing M$ it probably won't work properly when the underlying OS is built on a moving base.

I suspect that, to prevent cloning, Microsoft created such a moving target that even they can't fix it.

2. patrickstar

Re: Application Guard

Application Guard and AppArmor doesn't do the same thing.

In fact, what AppArmor does you can accomplish with the standard ACL system in Windows that has been in place since the very beginning.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Microsoft: We'll beef up security in Windows 10 Creators Edition Fall Update

ROFL.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Microsoft: We'll beef up security in Windows 10 Creators Edition Fall Update

it makes me think of this:

a) No, Seriously, we REALLY MEAN it this time!

b) No more zero-day Defender vulnerabilities. Honest!

c) No more secret back doors via the web. Honest!

d) We promise to keep the slurped data to ourselves [and our partners], and occasionally to law enforcement when our spies find 'questionable' photos and downloaded content

e) No more zero-day vulnerabilities in Edge. Honest!

enough for now. you get the idea.

icon: it's me face-palming at the lameness, not saying "Doh"

1. hexstr

Amazing!

Security is hard and zero-day vulnerabilities are impossible to defend against. No company (especially Microsoft) would say "no more zero day vulnerabilities" as it's akin to saying "our code is perfect" - at least they are saying "we are trying to improve it".

13. Mpeler
    Windows

Fail Edition?

Somehow I read Windows 10 Creators Edition Fail Update...

Those aren't bugs, they're features, er, opportunities, er, sales leads, er...

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Fail Edition?

"Somehow I read Windows 10 Creators Edition Fail Update..."

no, just Windows 10 Fail Update, like "Windows 10 F.U."

2. hplasm
      Devil

Re: Fail Edition?

"Those aren't bugs, they're features, er, opportunities, er, sales leads, er..."

Cockroaches? Pubic lice?

eww...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EMET subtitute is already in Creator update!

I was reading it this days. Windows 10 Creator Update (1703), already has via powershell the new way to implement the controls that EMET provides, and is also possible to import the EMET policy that you have.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/threat-protection/overview-of-threat-mitigations-in-windows-10

15. Paul 129
    Facepalm

We'll beef up security in Windows 10 Creators Edition Fall Update

So I guess there is no hope for setting applications to open files based upon their extensions then?

I would like to open a .jpg with a program not defined as the default for pictures.

Win10 Losing control of your PC a slice at a time.

P.S.

I found the solution.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/stop-photos-app-taking-over-image-file-associations/

It says goto

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc

create a string key NoOpenWith. Then reset the file associations.

Surely I can't be the only one that sees a problem with this?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fix Windows 10's broken, usless firewall Microsoft

Does anyone know what the deal with Windows 10's firewall is? It constantly opens inbound port rules for the Windows Store apps. Apps that aren't even listening on ports. Is this what Microsoft considers its Trusted Computing Initiative? What a joke. Let us not forget that Microsoft worked with the NSA while developing Windows Vista. Are we to believe that the NSA was helping them make Windows more secure? More like, they worked with them to find the security holes and add in back doors. The bottom line is that Microsoft software, or any closed source software CANNOT BE TRUSTED. The Windows 10 firewall behavior is an ABSOLUTE JOKE. How they think this is acceptable is beyond me. Now I understand why they are porting products such as SQL Server and .NET to Linux. At some point, enterprises are going to dump their software due to the fact that it is riddled with security vulnerabilities. I am convinced that as long as operating systems are developed with languages that allow buffer overflows such as C/C++, systems will not be secure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fix Windows 10's broken, usless firewall Microsoft

"Does anyone know what the deal with Windows 10's firewall is? It constantly opens inbound port rules for the Windows Store apps."

You still don't get it? Windows 8 and Windows 10 are primarily platforms to force users into the 'Microsoft ecosystem', which includes but not limited to: Cortana, Onedrive, Windows Defender, Skype, Windows Store etc.

If you're bothered by this get a proper third party firewall and stop depending on the turdish offerings from Microsoft.

17. theOtherJT Silver badge

This would be the same Defender...

...that keeps identifying parts of TeXLive as malware and quarantining them, thus buggering up what is already an hour long install process?

I'm not sure I want that on my servers, if I'm honest.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like