back to article Expansys shutters online mobile gadget souk to consumers

Mobile gadget souk Expansys shuttered its digital doors to consumers – a natural conclusion for a business that lost direction under the ownership of lanky Dragons' Den badass Peter Jones in a commoditised space. "Expansys is now focused on its partner and B2B business hence the website is closed to consumers. If you are a …

1. djstardust

Hmmmm

Although they were quite expensive the customer service was pretty good in the experience I had with them.

Just Clove left now then .......

1. Bloodbeastterror

Re: Hmmmm

I have bought from them in my old Psion days, but have no particular memory of the purchases, so I suppose they must have been ok. A thumbs up for Clove, who were excellent (again in my Psion days).

And Mr. Jones sits in godlike judgement on other people's business plans...?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And Mr. Jones sits in godlike judgement on other people's business plans...?"

One suspects that serendipity plays a large part in these entrepreneurial folks so-called business acumen. Having well-to-do parents does no harm (cf. Trump).

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Charles Forte was a guest on a chat show. The compare congratulated him for building the Lions empire from the one shop he originally owned. He replied to the effect that the hard work was done by his father who left him a café free and clear of debt.

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

You're forgetting that these people don't go into business to make money for the business. They do it to make money for themselves.

2. davenewman

Still a good import margin from China

I remember Expansys being the only place to get things not yet sold in the UK market. They would import batches.

There are still good margins to be had in importing Chinese mobile phones. I bought a 4G phone sent from China for £50 (a Bluboo). I cannot find an equivalent in the UK for less than £250.

However, since it is so easy to order from Chinese suppliers, even one-off on eBay, why pay Expansys to do the importing? And their b2b business will have to compete with Alibaba, relying on servicing income.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

:( RIP Expansys. You were the best way to get phones in Australia that weren't carrier locked, with carrier crapware, and of any model I wanted rather than the meager selection deemed likely to sell in volume locally. Damn pity it didn't actually make you money..

4. JimboSmith Silver badge

I agree that the customer service was very good. They sold me a phone but the wrong colour (red when I wanted black) and took the phone back which they had to do twice because the phone boxes were mislabeled by the manufacturer. They covered the postage of the returns and eventually said that they didn't have any black ones just red thanks to the colour on the box cock up. I went to buy a phone from them at the weekend and the website was unavailable at the time. Will have to look at Amazon or someone else as this isn't one that the carriers or CarphoneWarehouse are carrying.

I see it's still listed on his website http://www.peterjones.com/peter-jones-portfolio/expansys/

5. Nezumi
    Facepalm

I remember using Expansys many years ago...

I seem to recall that prices were competitive and that they had devices that others didn't. I /think/ this was when I was using Windows Mobile... Yes, *that* long ago.

Then when I looked again for my next device a few years later they had no advantage over Amazon and were more expensive.

This business is a dead man walking.

The only thing that may help is becoming part of certain Public Sector procurement frameworks (if they aren't already) If they do this however, then they shouldn't expect to be paid in a timely manner.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like