back to article BMC and CA in agreeable acquisition talks – report

BMC and CA are considering a consensual acqui-merger, reports Bloomberg. Citing sources familiar with the talks, the report says the two companies have chatted to banks about how to put together the US$13bn or so needed to acquire CA's outstanding shares, to take the company private. BMC went private in 2013 in a $6.9bn deal …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

By not being able to invest in them anymore?

"perhaps give investors something to be more excited about."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"especially given cloud's potential to accelerate redevelopment and re- platforming of old code."

How so? Meaning that people are moving to public cloud anyway, so it is a good time to rewrite apps... or are there some new migration tool sets out there.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

By having a monopoloy of all options for certain tasks on a MF or legacy platform.

"All your licensing revenue belong to us."

To coin a phrase.

Companies, like sharks, have to keep moving or they die.

And CA is more shark like than most.

1. Blotto Silver badge

Re: By having a monopoloy of all options for certain tasks on a MF or legacy platform.

I think you give them more credit than they deserve

They are either a basking shark, feeding on the bits non of the other sharks want, or they're a dog fish acting like a big shark but in reality small and harmless.

They make there money from legacy. They should concentrate on that market, maybe consulting for upgrades or virtualising old tin on new, maybe cloud hosting of legacy kit or something focussed on their core market that their loyal (have little choice) customers may want to spend money on.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"I think you give them more credit than they deserve"

They are probably the biggest SW company most people have never heard of. $13Bn is no small mound of cucumbers.

They do focus on the legacy market, however I'm not sure how much actual upgrading their products get, because that would require them to hire devs and that costs money.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cold fusion of two undertakers

Will be easier for us, as they are both competitors or ours, and lousy at that, this will mean that they will kill one of their solutions off ... :) ... no, I would not know which of the two to kill, both solutions suck.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Then they could merge with MicroFocus and ASG

to become Dinosoftware.

Populated with salesmen with their feet on the desk, waiting to renew ELAs.

What's not to like!

(Tongue in cheek)

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: Then they could merge with MicroFocus and ASG

I think that (in their own way) MicroFocus is still quite innovative.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon