back to article Costa Rica complains of US govt harassment over Pirate Bay domain

The operator of Costa Rica's .cr internet registry has formally complained that it is being harassed by the US government over The Pirate Bay domain on its system. In a letter [PDF] sent to the head of the Governmental Advisory Committee of DNS overseer ICANN, the president of the Costa Rican Academy of Science, Dr Pedro Leon …

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I am surprised The Pirate Bay has not developed an up-datable bit torrent model that allows the "web site" to be shared like any other torrent, with local searching by pointing the browser to it and some signed-key method of pushing out incremental (rsync-like) updates to it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tribler already exists.

The pirate bay have never created anything truly innovate, so I'm not sure why you'd look to them to do so now.

2. Youngone Silver badge

Careful Now

Costa Rica need to be careful here. A quick reading of the history of Central America shows that governments often don't survive a disagreement with the US.

3. patrickstar

Uhm, I checked now and thepiratebay.cr just seems to be a skin of something that proclaims to be a restarted kickasstorrents? Not that I visit such horrible sites that rob hard-working artists at gunpoint or anything...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ops right up on linkeden

ludekekj@state.gov

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Note to USA: you don't rule the world and your laws don't always apply to other countries.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Correction

Note to Hollywood: you don't rule the world and your laws don't always apply to other countries. The US government is just doing the bidding of its various corporate masters.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Correction

Ah! The best government money can buy.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Appears to me the .TO domain is working

7. The Nazz

Antigua and Barbuda

A few years back, didn't the WTO (or similar) rule that A & B could recover some $3bn worth of trade, that they had suffered at the hands of the US?

How's that going, and if not all recovered can't the Pirate Bay go there?

No doubt in the past, A & B had many such pirate bays. Quite probably run by the British and Yanks, oh such irony.

8. Ropewash

As usual.

These thickheads don't really get it do they?

There was a functional list of IPs for filesharing "pirates" right there. They really didn't care that you could see them since such a low percentage ever got C&D letters, let alone lawsuits.

No. That wasn't enough for you. Gotta try to take down the whole infrastructure to show you're properly kowtowing to the Hollywood money. Try to force your laws onto other nations. Why not also pressure ISPs into filtering torrent traffic so that even perfectly legal users suffer and/or start obfuscating their traffic.

So once it's all moved onto TOR or similar and they have no access what-so-ever to a handy list of IPs to sue what are you gonna do? Try to make TOR illegal? Probably. Will it work? No.

Good job.

Need any ammo for your other foot?

1. Ramazan

Re: Try to make TOR illegal? Probably. Will it work? No.

Did you ever try doing google search via TOR? Did you ever try to setup a TOR exit node on a VPS?

Short answer, Yes, making TOR illegal will work.

2. TheVogon

Re: As usual.

"Why not also pressure ISPs into filtering torrent traffic"

Because torrent traffic can be encrypted and can use any port. So it can't realistically be filtered...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The shitty underhanded way America goes about

Working for corporate interests and bullying other countries makes TPB succeed even more. BTW: Another working TPB domain is .CD wherever that is... You've got to love TPB as well in general, because its one of the few websites left anywhere in the world that actually works fine without:

... COOKIES ...

... IMAGES ...

... JAVASCRIPT ...

So past furore regarding TPB serving up Malware Ads is moot too. Good!

10. FozzyBear
    Black Helicopters

Team America World Police - Fuck Yeah!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This:

Team America World Police - Fuck You!

TFTFY

11. Blofeld's Cat
    Facepalm

Er ...

"The ministry did carry out an investigation – and found that the registry was indeed following its rules that require a local court order to take down a domain name."

Perhaps the US could find a corrupt sympathetic local lawyer or two, and try to get the appropriate court order, or is that creating a dangerous precedent.

1. TheVogon

Re: Er ...

"is that creating a dangerous precedent"

Of course. That would mean acknowledging that US law doesn't apply outside of the US. Not going to happen any time soon. So countries just ignore US attempts to pretend it does.

Probably the ones that did get removed were in breach of registry regulations. Quite often there is a cover-all clause about potentially illegal content...

12. m-k

napster, pirate bay

they are milestones that have been reached and passed. Music / movie business still around (despite LOSING LITERALLY TRILLIONS TO PIRATES WHO SPONSOR TERRORISM AND HARM OUR CHILDREN!) and the pirates are still around too (and still up / downloading those multi-GB linux distros day and night).

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TheRegister caught in a filter bubble?

"That .se domain also redirects to the (currently down) .org domain."

Are you sure your ISP isn't just blocking _your_ access? thepiratebay.org works for me. It's a rare even when I can't find what I'm looking for because the search backend is not responding.

Cloudflare wouldn't let them down.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like