back to article Uncle Sam bungs rich tech giants quarter of a billion bucks for exascale super R&D

The US government has dangled $258m in funding in front of six American tech giants to encourage the development of exascale supercomputer systems. Uncle Sam wants at least one exascale machine powered up on American soil by 2021, and in production by 2022. A second system should also be arriving around that time, ideally. By …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it's Microsoft I wonder what a bsod looks like on an exascale machine.

1. mhenriday
      Boffin

I, too, wonder -

but we are unlikely to find out, as 498 of the top 500 supercomputers run on Linux (from what I am given to understand, the other 2 on Unix) systems....

Henri

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

By 2020 I expect a 2 exascale machine looking after my fridge. Has Moore's Law been repealed?

1. Dave Taflin
      Joke

The number of people proclaiming the death of Moore's Law doubles every 18 months.

3. Ian Michael Gumby

If the US builds it ...

China will have the tech within 6 months.

Take a look at all of those companies.

Now take a look at who does business globally and the fact that any improvements made for the US government will flow to consumer equipment after they build it...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: If the US builds it ...

This will be 2020, so China may well have the tech in 2 months.

4. adam 40 Silver badge

I bet windoze would still run like a dog...

... either that or the fastest ever BSOD.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Big impressive numbers in the headline

Quarter of a billion dollars sounds a lot until you realise that it's less than three times the cost of, for instance, the Met Office's recent HPC purchase. Supers are expensive.

1. David Webb

Re: Big impressive numbers in the headline

I don't think the 1/4bil is for making the machine itself, it seems to be (if I read correctly) for them to work on the tech needed to run Crysis at 144fps@8k resolution, I might have read it wrong though.

6. Sureo
    Coat

It shouldn't be hard to find a billion scrapped mobile gadgets. Spend the money figuring out how to hook them together. (Where's my phone?)

7. Milton

"Publicly known"

I wonder if there's anything in the rumour that Uncle Sam is funding this because the fastest not-so-public computer, which might be spending its days at Ft Meade, has seen its once overwhelming superiority eaten away during the last 5-7 years?

If there doubts now emerging about the future practicality and effectiveness of quantum computing for cryptanalysis (which is also speculative), it makes sense to widen the resource net if you want to preserve your supercomputer advantage.

It would be interesting to know more, especially w.r.t features for crunching astronomically large numbers ....

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. skriss

China's quantum progress

China may be behind now but it is well ahead in spend and manpower. News of their encryption breakthrough reflects the massive commitment Beijing is making. I was in China last week at a science institute and their commitment of resources is incredible. I read the Aztlan Protocol a few years back, it contained a warning for 2032, which seems more possible now than it did then.

1. mhenriday
      Boffin

Re: China's quantum progress

«China may be behind now but it is well ahead in spend and manpower. » Not so sure that China can be considered to be «behind» in super computing ; according to the Top500 website, as of November 2016, both China and the United States had 171 systems among the top 500, with the former having the two fastest....

But of course, it's all piracy on the part of the Chinese (and no piracy on the part of the US) ; everybody knows that Chinese people are constitutionally incapable of performing original work, now don't we ?...

(Sarcasm warning)

Henri

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

"that meet US boffins' requirements."

When Cray was actually run by Seymour Cray the first super computers went into

NSA (or "Customer X" as they were known to his former employers)

US National Laboratories IE Nuclear weapons design and build

US Weather Service. Weather & climate simulation.

Top tip.

Make sure you're machine can count all the ones in an n bit word in log2 n time.

Mine's the one with Reingold, Nievergelt and Deo's "Combinatorial Algorithms: Theory & Practice," which describes, but does not explicitly list, such an algorithm.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They need to yank IBM out of this group, as they have no products nor services that qualify them to produce anything, on this scale. Watson isn't even AI. It's just badly run automation that is all hype and no byte. HPE Kills IBM, in this space. Lenovo can't be included, because they are a Chinese Company. Besides, IBM is sacking Server Hardware Support Staff, so there won't be anyone to provide support for these and Lenovo Server Products, pretty soon.

1. Nick 26

>They need to yank IBM out of this group, as they have no products nor services that qualify them to produce anything, on this scale

OpenPOWER

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 7

Would updates to windows 7 be faster?

13. Jbry

yes, but will it run Crysis?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like