back to article Amazon and others sniffing around Slack

Slack is attracting interest from potential suitors including Amazon that are reportedly eyeing up the white collar messaging and collaboration software slinger. The cost of such a buy could be as high as $9bn, loquacious sources told Bloomberg today, though talks are at the preliminary stage and there are no assurances an …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It'd be a good move. Slack is going to struggle as a pure play. Doing "just" chat is not enough to justify the massive price tag and they've got a tough battle to sell into big enterprises. That makes for a rough road to profitability. If they can walk away with eight or nine billion dollars right now they'd be mad not to do so.

1. macjules

Can Amazon buy with 'One Click'?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Needs a snarkier headline

Couldn't you have gone with "IRC for noobs"?

1. Tachikoma

Re: Needs a snarkier headline

We have to use it in work, the first time I loaded it up I had the urge to type !list and see if there was a copy of "Photoshop-2-0-Floppy-Disk-Rip-and-Crack.par"

The most annoying part was when they added our GitHub to the commands and it endlessly spammed the chatroom every time someone did anything with the repo.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not provide free?

Meta data and upselling advertising is way more valuable then a mere subscription, just ask Google.

4. Coofer Cat

Slack is half-way decent, so big corps queue up to kill it off

In my day jobs, I can use a total of: Slack, Lifesize (which has chat), Skype for Business, Microsoft Teams and quite probably a couple of others (one place I worked at used IRC).

Out of all of those, Slack is pretty good, IRC is plain and simple but effective and the others are all awful. I wonder if the purveyors of the others though "we've got to be different, so lets take all the good stuff away"? They're so terrible as to be unusable - pick up the phone or send an email instead.

Since Slack has a large user-base, it's obviously ripe for a takeover. All those lovely users to assimilate into one's own crappy platform - too much temptation to bare, I expect. The thing is, if it goes anywhere near Microsoft, then there's no way it'll be allowed to carry on as it is, it'll have to be subsumed into an inferior product. If Amazon get it, then there's a chance it might stay quite good, at least for a while.

Either way, Slack, we love you, and we'll be sorry to see you go :-(

5. macjules

Err ..but ..

" Searchable Log of ALL Conversation and Knowledge."

One reason we have to moving over to Teams is that a lot of Slack's features are built to assume the "small group with a shared purpose where everyone can be trusted to fiddle with things" paradigm. Slack is certainly not for societies, i.e. groups big enough that people only know a small percentage of others, groups that must create "laws" to prevent random strangers abusing your shared infrastructure, and so on.

IMO Teams is one of the best apps to come out from Microsoft in a very, very long time.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Err ..but ..

IMO Teams is one of the best apps to come out from Microsoft in a very, very long time.

Doesn't really say much, does it? Wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft go after Slack as it fits their profile much better than say Amazon.

Valuation of $ 9 10^9 sounds ridiculous but then I think of Skype, Instagram and WhatsApp. That's somebodies pension pot about to be pissed away.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"D'oh! To open the web app, you need to change your browser settings to allow third-party cookies."

Hmmm - in an O365 portal so I'm wondering who the 3rd party cookies are from?

7. ratfox
    Paris Hilton

How come Slack is so popular?

I'm wondering, because the market was already crowded when it was founded in 2013, so it's impressive that it got so popular in just a few years, with companies like Microsoft having established tools and a large enterprise customer base...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: How come Slack is so popular?

First-mover, freemium model, lots of free PR from tech "journos"?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How come Slack is so popular?

They targeted developers, not the enterprise. Where previously you might visit an open source team's public IRC channel, these days you'll visit their public Slack. It's free, easy to use, easy to integrate with other tools, lightweight, cross platform, secure and the search is excellent.

The question Slack as a company have never answered is the one you've just asked. They're struggling to break into the enterprise space. It's staggeringly expensive when you try and scale it out.

8. Simon Rockman

I see the Windows Phone version of the Microsoft Teams app has a rating of 2.6/5 on the Microsoft Apps store.

Slack (beta) has 4.0/5

9. 27escape

overpriced

$9B for only 5M users, no one is going to make that money back!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: overpriced

If MS or Amazon take them over then those 5M users will drop to 2M almost overnight.

Some of my dev friends love it. The moved to it when MS F****d up Teamviewer, skype and everything else. They are actively looking for a similar app that isn't part of a company that slurps your data or tries to sell you stuff based upon what you are talking about.

Why do these companies shell out loadsamoney and then proceed to alienate the users who made the thing popular in the first place????? NIH seems to go to their heads.

1. John Crisp

"They are actively looking for a similar app that isn't part of a company that slurps your data or tries to sell you stuff based upon what you are talking about."

Probably the kiss of death but....

https://rocket.chat

2. macjules

Worked for Nokia IIRC

10. Avatar of They
    Thumb Up

Seems a reasonable purchase.

Is it because Amazon want to keep taking on Azure offerings and Slack gives them the messaging and collaboration tool that AWS could use to combat office 365?

And 5 million people that might be in the position of asking "which cloud is least worst" position, could be 5 million people easily swayed.

Makes sense they would be looking.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ore than just chat

Slacks API is its main business strength - being able to link commands to dev and ops actions

actually having Amazon owning it could make a whole lot of current interfaces to do AWS stuff obsolete - it'll just work (instead we have our own robots to do eg route53, service status etc reports).

if you think Slack is 'just chat' you're not, as a business, using it right.

12. Adair Silver badge

When I looked ...

at Slack there seemed to be zero encryption, and the EULA made it clear they made no assurances as to the security/confidentiality of anything sent through their system.

On that basis, why would any business -- let alone private user -- bother?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

No, really

Microsoft Teams is already replacing Slack in my shoppe.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like