back to article German police nick alleged admin of dark web gun sales site

German police have arrested a man they suspect of being the administrator of a dark net website. The site is said to have been used to buy a gun used in a 2016 mass murder. The unnamed 30-year-old man was arrested on 8 June in “south west Germany”, according to Sky News. The server used to host the site is said to have been …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I for one

welcome the arrest and wish lawmaking efforts were more concentrated on eliminating the illegal trade of firearms and other weapons and less on making life gratuitously difficult to legal owners and licence holders.

1. GrumpenKraut

Re: I for one

"eliminating the illegal trade of firearms" is not much a lawmaking effort, the laws are quite tough already (at the very least in Germany). It's rather a policing effort. Police is trying to catch up with that new fangled internet thing, with varying degrees of success.

I notice that many of those juvenile murderers were bullied in school. This one needs to be addressed MUCH better than it currently is (again, speaking about Germany).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> "eliminating the illegal trade of firearms" is not much a lawmaking effort, the laws are quite tough already (at the very least in Germany). It's rather a policing effort

Yes, very good point.

> I notice that many of those juvenile murderers were bullied in school. This one needs to be addressed MUCH better than it currently is

Again a very good point.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But you're straying from the official line..... it wasn't bullying or guns which caused those mass-shootings in OEZ-München, Winnenden or Erfurt. It was those evil ego-shooter computer games (Killerspiele), according the the politicians. They might blame this morning's incident in Unterföhring on that, too, since it sounded like something out of GTA. Just wait and see.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, you're allowed one, but not others?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> So, you're allowed one, but not others?

Like with cars, there are tests for competence and relevant knowledge needed first.

Not exactly a shocking concept for things that can kill.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> tests for competence and relevant knowledge

They seemed to have got the hang of killing shit. Doesn't seem that hard.

You kill shit. They kill shit. That's what guns are for. Hurray for guns.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> They seemed to have got the hang of

Spot the ignorant one :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Another sucess for the war on drugs™ and illegal firearms™

Transnational Crime and the Developing World

3. Cynic_999

False connection

Mentioning the fact that one of the guns sold was used for murder is making a completely false association between the murder and illegal darknet sites.

Many of the far worse mass murderers in the USA used weapons bought from Walmart or similar. We don't see Walmart being held responsible - because they are not.

A person who decides to commit murder will find a way to get hold of a weapon.

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Re: False connection

In America, any nut job can buy a gun and ammo. Some states do check for things like are you are recently released mass murderer, but some states can't be bothered - something to do with the right to carry firearms although technically, it's muskets.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

something to do with the right to carry firearms although technically, it's for a well regulated militia.

FTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

it's for a well regulated militia.

Particularly (in the context of the founders), in order to prevent oppression by an increasingly authoritarian government.

So - how's that working out for you?

2. a_yank_lurker

Actually nut jobs can not legally get or own a gun. There is a an automatic feral background check when a gun is purchased from a dealer. Flunk the background check and you do not get the gun. Some jurisdictions have a mandatory waiting period.

The problem over here is gun violence tends to make the news when there is a crime victim but what is less often reported is number of criminal who became unwitting targets when they found the resident was armed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Many of the far worse mass murderers in the USA

Did you fail to spot that the article is talking about Germany, not the US of A?

There are no Walmarts in Germany, and Lidl do not sell firearms or ammunition (though some of the stuff they sell, especially in the meat section, is probably just as lethal).

1. Cynic_999

"

Did you fail to spot that the article is talking about Germany, not the US of A?

"

No, but you obviously failed to spot that the point which I was making is that the supplier of an item is not usually held responsible for what the purchaser does with the item. The country is irrelevant to that point.

We did not blame the car rental company for the recent terrorist murders in the UK.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guns don't kill people. Rappers....

Pew pew

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wearing latex gloves

That would arouse suspicion. If he'd simply covered his fingertips with superglue it would obscure his prints and the mailman would be none the wiser.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bitcoin exchange rates might solve the Darknet market problem...

In the short term, at least.

Just now, it's fairly obvious that a lot of Darknet markets seem to be very quiet. Buyers are terrified that if they buy Bitcoins today, they will be worth 50% less tomorrow. Meanwhile, many sellers are also absent as they scramble to turn their unexpected profits into clean cash before the bubble bursts. Or, if they have cash debts to their suppliers, they're dumping stock at bargain basement prices to remain proud kneecap owners.

Uncertainty restricts market behaviour unless you have money to burn. Today's $3000 for a coin is probably one of the most calming influences there could be on the Darknet gun, drug and other illegal items markets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon