back to article ICO seizes phones and computers in nuisance call scam raids

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has seized computers and phones in its probe into nuisance callers suspected of stealing people's details from car repair centres throughout the UK. The items will now be subject to forensic examination and investigation. Investigators are looking at how the data was stolen, who …

1. Bronek Kozicki

" ... and illegal trade of personal data may find themselves subject to ICO action." - up to and including gentle slap on the wrist.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

The ultimate threat

"Stop doing that, or else I'll tell you to stop doing that again"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The ultimate threat

or else I'll tell you to stop doing that again

Possibly, but note this is a criminal investigation, not an ICO civil investigation. They'll need to put a case in front of a court, and a judge will decide any appropriate penalty, which can include leisure time in one Her Maj's residential establishments.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The ultimate threat

They will probably fine them and let them declare bankruptcy.

ICO - The organisation connected to the government that sends shivers down the spines of wrong doers and fills their bellies full of laughs.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"up to and including gentle slap on the wrist."

They've been handing out much bigger fines recently. The current ICO looks as if she means business. At least if the businesses fold the ICO have something already in their possession to confiscate.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ICO is supposed to be "taxpayer neutral" going forward, so they'll have to find a way to fund themselves. It seems logical to me that fines will be the funding source.

Expect fines to be given out more frequently and for them to be significantly increased. Once GDPR officially comes into play later this month, I wouldn't be surprised if ICO's fines were at least an order of magnitude higher in general.

3. Wolfclaw

Fines are only a deterrent if the money can be claimed from the owners even if the go in to administration and before the can start back up under a different name, of course this doesn't work when it's from an Indian call centre, employing underpaid mindless droids !

4. Grease Monkey Silver badge

I got a call from some cowboy about "the accident in the last three years". Couldn't even give me an approximate date or any other details of the accident. Also as my NCD will attest I haven't had an accident in the last three years. Maybe somebody has stolen data from a car repair company, but not the gits who called me.

1. Aus Tech

RE: the accident in the last three years

Probably some other scammer trying to trick you into a scam about some other scammer. IOW, a recursive scam.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge

Just reply: "yes, it was a very serious accident indeed. In fact, I died. I am dead. You are talking to a ghost."

5. MachDiamond Silver badge

Google? FB?

Would this ban Google and FaceBitch from collecting and selling the personal info they acquired from reading email?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is one entity who has all details of every claim made and which in my opinion is worthy of 'forensic investigation' i.e. the Motor Insurers' Database in Milton Keynes.

7. DropBear
    Facepalm

So who do I complain to having recently started to receive nuisance messages from... a car repair centre I bought a few parts from several centuries ago (they didn't even get to service the bloody car!)...?

1. phuzz Silver badge

Well you start by complaining to the car repair centre itself (ask them to remove your details and not to contact you). If that doesn't work then you can take it to the ICO.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like