back to article DDoS attack brings Qatar's Al Jazeera website to its knees

Qatar-based news network Al Jazeera yesterday said it was being targeted with systematic hacking attempts. DDoS assaults affecting Al Jazeera's websites and digital platforms follow a recent hack of the state news service that resulted in the promotion of false news and is blamed, in part, on an ongoing diplomatic crisis in …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

DDos attack and no mention of the Russkies?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: DDos attack and no mention of the Russkies?

We were waiting for you to do it for us.

2. Down not across

DDos attack and no mention of the Russkies?

Unlikely in this case, since Russkies are somewhat pro-Qatar I believe.

2. nuked

What was being said that required it to be taken down?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

The Enemies of a free press, and of freedom in general, have launched an attack on Qatar. The stated reasons don't say so, but the existence of a well-reputed world-class media organisation looks like the most likely real reason for a grievance.

They seem to be headed by the Saudis, and have Trump's support.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And keep in mind that Al Jazeera is partially funded by the House of Thani, the ruling family of Qatar. If a state actor wants to get access to personal and financial data on the government of Qatar, hacking their massive, state-sponsored media outlet is a good start.

2. Yes Me Silver badge

free press

Yes, it's all to do with Al J being a very good unbiased news site (and TV channel). Less biased than *any* US news channel or the BBC, and of course a million times better than RT. It's nothing to do with Sunni vs Shia. It's to do with the Arab states hating freedom of speech and even more so, hating unbiased investigative journalism. (And that certainly includes Egypt as well as the Gulf states.) Something that Trump, Putin and the Saudi princes can all agree on!

1. wayward4now
          Trollface

Re: free press

"Yes, it's all to do with Al J being a very good unbiased news site (and TV channel)" I miss them SO much here in the states, every other outlet is shiite. (sorry for the pun)

2. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

"What was being said that required it to be taken down?". The "Arab Spring" in/for neighbouring countries. Scary stuff for some in the neighbourhood. There is good stuff on the web about it and Qatar.

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

It's Pinky and the Brain gunning for world domination!

4. Bangem

Did the DUP site admin redirect the traffic?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like