back to article Gordon Ramsay's father-in-law gets six months for hacking sweary super-chef's computer

If chef Gordon Ramsay reprises his TV series Gordon Behind Bars, he could see a familiar face – after his father-in-law was sentenced to six months in jail on hacking charges. Chris Hutcheson, 69 – and the father of Ramsay's wife Tana – used to be the chief executive of Gordon Ramsay Holdings Ltd but was sacked after falling …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Big Brother

But, but, but, GCHQ does this too... I'm confused.

1. Steve Aubrey
      Joke

Yeah, but they keep quiet about the hair transplants . . .

1. m0rt

Because of the bugged follicles?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Yeah, but they keep quiet about the hair transplants . . .

More Slap Gordon than Flash Gordon then ?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Imagine Ramsay going to Germany:

German: Hello Herr Ramsay

Ramsay: Are you taking the fucking piss ?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear old Gordon and his Shit in a Bag Tirade

What Gordon didn't tell you was that the shit in a bag lamb shanks came from Booker cash and carry and Gordon was the advertising face of Booker at the time, fucking whoops.

Shhh, we won't mention meals being bused into his restaurants instead of being cooked there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pretty much all the celebrity chefs are fake as hell. Gordon imho is more likable than a lot of them. Also do enjoy Bourdain ripping on Guy lol.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

"Pretty much all the celebrity chefs are fake as hell."
        Are you implying that Nigella Lawson's melons are fake?

1. Tachikoma
          Devil

Are you implying that Nigella Lawson's melons are fake?

I volunteer to do an extensive hands-on 12 month study to find out, no, don't you bother yourself, I know it will be an arduous task, but I'm willing to take one for the team and do this all by myself. Anyone got her mobile number?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Tronald Dump
          Joke

Stop dreaming, you can't elope with her.

"Stop dreaming, you can't elope with her."
            Who'd want to? With somebody who thinks baked beans on toast is a "celebrity chef" recipe? [Shudder...]

1. DJV Silver badge
              Facepalm

@Pompous Git

Obviously, your superpower is: Impervious to Puns!

"can't elope" - You'll get there if you try...

Re: @Pompous Git

"Obviously, your superpower is: Impervious to Puns!"
                I don't know where the idea I possess superpowers comes from, but you are correct. I missed the pun and that makes me somewhat Mellon Collie...

2. Symon
        Pint

" all the celebrity chefs are fake"

Pretty sure Floyd was genuinely pissed the whole time.

3. Chris G

Oh Waiter!

Yes Sir.

There's a hair in my soup.

Yes Sir.

And it doesn't look like head hair.

Yes sir, it hasn't always been head hair.

4. J. R. Hartley

Wow

Wowowowow

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Wow

...unbelieveable!

*You are Kate Shrub and I claim my £5!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Something seems off

That phrase about logging in 600 times in one day does not seem possible, the remote tool would have to be logging them out basicly immediately for that to even be phisically possible and they would not have any time left to be doing anything. It seems more likely 600 times the credentials were logged as checked or used over a much smaller number of sessions.

1. Adrian 4

Re: Something seems off

Never expect a report about a technical subject to make any sense from a technical point of view.

2. Notas Badoff

I'm thinking Windows and SMB shares... Do a 'dir', a couple copies, read those a bit, then another 'dir' might have to reauthenticate, and so on. That kinda thing?

1. david 12 Silver badge

>I'm thinking Windows and SMB shares... Do a 'dir', a couple copies, read those a bit, then another 'dir' might have to reauthenticate, and so on. That kinda thing?<

No. That step does not require "reauthentication". What it requires is re-checking the file permissions. You can watch this stuff happening if you turn audit logging on, which is presumably what the external security consultant did.

6. Florida1920
    Joke

The motive

They only wanted to see if Gordon was cooking the books.

7. mark 177
    Unhappy

Jail - Why?

OK, he was a naughty boy. But six months inside? It's a waste of taxpayers' money.

Should have given him x hundred hours of community service, cleaning out hospital toilets or something like that.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they reprise: the TV series Gordon Behind Bars

The old dad-in-law will get more than shit in his semolina.

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge

There must

have been some interesting conversations with the missus, of late...

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: There must

All happy families are alike, but unhappy families are all unhappy in their own way.

2. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: There must

I remember cringing at this event at the time. Fairly ugly situation for all involved.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah but...

Who hires their in laws? Seriously.

I wouldn't let my mother in law anywhere the important parts of my life.

She offered me £150k once, on the proviso that when the remaining mortgage is paid off, I sign the equity over to her.

I told her if she wants to help us thats fine, but if she expects me to effectively sell a £500k asset for £150k she can go swivel. Stack up your dosh and set fire to it. I ain't touching it unless it helps improve our lives not ruin them by signing over my net worth to a daft old bag.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yeah but...

All I can say is that you got off lightly. From the day of the wedding (when she suggested my wife should pull out - naturally she was not putting anything in to the event bar wearing an odd dress) her 'suggestions' are laughed at by all of the family. MY father in law however is delightful

1. zb

Re: Yeah but...

I am shocked by her suggestion. Pulling out is not a good method of contraception. She should be ashamed of herself.

11. Pompous Git Silver badge

My in-laws made an outlaw out of me

Hank Penny: King of Hillbilly Bebop

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The word is "pleaded" not "pled"

1. Marcus Fil

North American, Scottish, or dialect past participle of PLEAD. I believe El Reg now favors (sic) US usage.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

"The word is "pleaded" not "pled""
      From the OED:

"Forms: α. 3–4 plaide(n, plaid-i, 3–6 playde, 4 plede(n, 4–7 plede (5 pledde, plide, 5–7 pled), 6 pleade (pleed), 6–7 Sc. pleid, 6– plead. pa. tense and pple. pleaded: contracted 5 pladde, (9 dial. plad), 5– pled (orig. Sc. and dial.), 7–9 plead. β. 4 pleit-y, pleyte, playt-y, playte, pleten, -yn, 4–6 plete, 5–6 pleete, 6 pleate. "

I rest my case as it were...

1. zb

Well pled.

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Headmaster

Well pled.

Which rhymes with said but not with read or lead...

Is there a more irregular language than English? I say "more irregular" rather than "less regular" as English seems to be aggressively so rather than having occasional lapses of judgement.

1. earl grey
            Headmaster

not with read or lead

not with lead, as Pb? seriously, how do you say that word?

Re: not with read or lead

"not with lead, as Pb? seriously, how do you say that word?"
              Plumbum.

2. Robert Helpmann??
              Childcatcher

Re: not with read or lead

not with lead, as Pb? seriously, how do you say that word?

Follow me and I won't lead [pronounced "leed"] you astray unless I feel inclined to hit you with a lead [pronounced "led"] pipe.

I know that people from different regions often pronounce the same words quite differently; this may be the case between you and I. I had an interesting conversation with a lady from New Zealand concerning the pronunciation of the word "bear". From what I recall, they say "beer" where Americans say "bare". I know which I would prefer if it came to a choice of having beer or being bare, but to each their own.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

"Is there a more irregular language than English? I say "more irregular" rather than "less regular" as English seems to be aggressively so rather than having occasional lapses of judgement."
            I think you will find that the common verbs in all languages are irregular since they will have been in use longest. Esperanto excepted, but I never came across anyone who spoke it.

1. Robert Helpmann??
              Childcatcher

I think you will find that the common verbs in all languages are irregular...

I get by in a few different languages and that matches my experience, but it is not just verbs I am referring to though using the word "irregular" might imply that. Simple pronunciation rules for English are nothing more than a figurative container for storage of exceptions. Diphthongs can be especially difficult for non-native speakers and even native speakers have trouble expressing "rules" that govern pronunciation. For example, when should "th" be soft as in "thin" and when should it be hard as in "the"?

13. abracadabra

Plant

And this confirms the botanical appeal of the mother-in-laws tongue... so to speak. Sounds a bit of a waste on UK taxpayer... but hey gotta make an example on occasion.

14. Potemkine Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Who needs enemies when you have in-laws?

Nothing personal here - duck and cover

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon