back to article Spy commissioners: Did we audit our bulk data sharing with industry? Err... not exactly

The commissioners responsible for overseeing the UK's spy agencies have admitted that they have never carried out a formal inspection or audit of the sharing of bulk communications and personal data with industry. The intelligence agencies' collection of mass communications data has come under repeated scrutiny, and the …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Neither commissioner with responsibility for the intelligence agencies, nor their inspectors, has ever conducted a formal inspection or audit of industry in this regard."

The technical term for this is "dereliction of duty".

1. Nolveys
      Windows

"Neither commissioner with responsibility for the intelligence agencies, nor their inspectors, has ever conducted a formal inspection or audit of industry in this regard."

"Well, what would you say… you do here?"

"Bob, I already told you! I deal with the politicians so the stasi don't have to!! I have people skills!! I am good at dealing with people!!! Can't you understand that?!? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!!!!!!!"

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Collect too much information and you can't sort the wheat from the chaff and that is even more irresponsible.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

Does anyone think it pretty strange there's a "Regualtion of Investigatory Powers Ac" and

an "Investigatory Powers Act"

It's almost like the civil service is deliberately trying to confuse people.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Does anyone think it pretty strange there's a "Regualtion of Investigatory Powers Ac" and

The reason there are so many similar Acts is that each one so far has been smacked down when it goes to court so they have to supersede it with a new one. It's a trial of patience.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like