back to article Cloud eye for the sysadmin guy: Get tooled up proper, like

Like it or not, the cloud in all forms is approaching at great speed, irrespective of your employer's size. All sysadmins need to get onboard or be left behind. Me? After 17 years working in a range of environments, I did at one point believe I had ages before the cloud arrived at large-scale enterprises like the one where I'm …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me
    Facepalm

The 'cloud' - hopefully it'll just blow away before I need to learn it :-)

2. SaleNowOn
    Thumb Up

We have shifted to over to AWS, it turned out the easy part was shifting the servers, the hard part was moving our collective mindsets to leverage what AWS are offering and not code for the LAMP stack on the server / EC2 instance in the traditional way. Luckily I have a very good friend who is a great technical architect and will explain things for the price of a beer and lunch. We are getting there but some of it has made our collective heads spin.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We have shifted to over to AWS

SaleNowOn: "We have shifted to over to AWS, it turned out the easy part was shifting the servers, the hard part was moving our collective mindsets to leverage what AWS are offering"

Write it up and posted it here ..

3. wyatt

I was looking at AWS courses, loads of them but where to start/with who?! Without a doubt self skilling is the only way to improve currently, hope I get it right!

1. DJ Smiley

Indeed, @Author - there's nothing wrong with naming and shaming who to stay away from, and who you used (who were actually useful in the end)!

As long as there was no freebies thrown in, then it's all good - who should we be looking to for our training needs?

1. Stuart 39

Author here...

Personally (and it is just that) I recommend Pluralsight as they cover a wide range of topics of cloud to a good depth and what's nice is that they package them up so that you know where to start etc etc.

Disclaimer: I do actually get a free sub from them due to being a vExpert. That said, I would (and have) paid for it in the past, Pluralsight that is. ;) I just think they are good, affordable and you can even put the courses on your ipad/whatever for offline viewing (Think journey to work).

People looking to learn Azure however do have a bigger hill to climb because MS is stuck with the old Azure interface and the new and there are some gotchas. Even the experts moan about that :)

Finally, be careful on the docs you read/watch re: Azure. Anything older than mid 2015 is probably plain wrong these days. Not detracting from the platform, just sayin :)

2. garetht t

cloud guru

I'm in the same boat as the author - trying to get up to speed following an on-high mandate to move systems up into the cloud.

I've found the "cloud guru" courses to be very good. I paid $69 for a pack of three courses covering Amazon's associate exams.

I've no affiliation with them at all, just a satisfied customer (and it's nice to hear training from an aussie for once!)

1. wyatt

Re: cloud guru

I was looking at these, might take a chance as not to expensive..

3. K

Sign up for a trial of PluralSight.. they have some good courses to get your started. I've worked through all of them before starting a Security role with a company which is "completely cloud"..

Its amazing - nearly every company I know using AWS are practisiing security likes its 2005! They have no IPS/IDS or Traffic filtering, very little visibility on traffic, they are solely getting by on Security Groups and AIM, then rely upon Golden AMI images to avoid infection - Apparently this is "best practise", trying to convince them otherwise is impossible.

1. garetht t

IPS/IDS

What IPS/IDSes would you recommend in AWS? I've been struggling to find one :/

4. Drecksamericaner

Hands on?

Why not save yourself a grip of cash over *audible heaving* courseware and get some hands on experience? Sign up for GCE or AWS and use Ansible to start up a six node ElasticSearch cluster, with proper node role assignments, via Docker.

That's 3 marketable skills right there on your resume for the cost of a gas station coffee.

1. jayeola

Re: Hands on?

This. And pluralsight or Linux Academy. Even youtube ;-)

Plus AWS and GCE normally have a free period of a year in which you can play around in.

Linux Academy even have "AWS Labs", in which you use short-lived AWS instances. A couple of hours to practice what you learnt in the courses.

5. jake Silver badge

During the meanwhile ...

... I've been making money pulling companies back out of the cloud for several years now. There is no one-size-fits-all model of computing. Never has been, never will be. Clouds aren't for everybody.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Cloud help control costs

"our customers were demanding cloud and cloud is seen as a good way to cut physical footprint and help control costs"

What kind of business needs several thousands servers. Sounds like a serious case of over design. Or more likely a bad design that someone keeps throwing servers at. I suspect your customers aren't really demanding the cloud and moving to the cloud won't really save money. I mean you'll still have to pay for your licenses for your virtual servers in the cloud.

Go on, convince me otherwise, show me a fully worked out example of a company moving to the 'cloud' and saving money.

1. cbars Bronze badge

Re: Cloud help control costs

Any International Business.

Defining Server in the proper sense, as an application that 'serves' requests. Most businesses have not yet managed the trick of making all the teams use the same tools. Finance/Sales etc do not use the same reporting systems (in some places they do, but the general point stands)

You need systems for customer interfacing (support portals), Web sites (various), Reporting, Data Entry, Data Entry on the move (sales/presales teams), Logistics, Stock Control (industry dependant of course), Forecasting, Budgeting.....

I could sit and type for a long time, but you need database servers (lots of), web servers etc to manage each tool. Now let's talk about redundancy and load balancing servers, backups, high-availability, ESBs, Proxies, VPNs, email/phones..... then you have systems management (VMs), antivirus..... blah blah

I don't think a large business would struggle to hit the 1000 server mark - but perhaps I'm jaded by my own experiences.

As for saving money.... I totally agree. But it isn't about ACTUALLY saving money, it's about APPEARING to save money. Get that CapEx 'off the books' into OpEx, and 'earn' yourself a nice bonus. Ta dah. < Look, I AM jaded!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

can someone help "on high"

to understand what cloud is, and how costs can also spiral out of control, suffer vendor lock-in and automation nightmares if they don't involve the techies before getting their deal done over lunch?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like