back to article US citizens complain their names were used for FCC robo-comments

Fourteen Americans (with the help of an advocacy group) are complaining to the FCC that their names were used without permission to file fake comments on the proposed net neutrality overhaul. A letter [PDF] sent to FCC Chairman Ajit Pai and signed by the 14 people claims that their names and addresses were used to post …

1. Youngone Silver badge

Sue?

If it can be proved that Comcast or one of the other big ISP's stole people's identities surely there's a case to sue?

Or maybe criminal charges?

Hahahaha!

I'm here all week, try the chicken.

1. veti Silver badge

Re: Sue?

They should certainly try suing the FCC for defamation, since it's publicly, falsely associating them with a political position they don't own.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Comcast didn't steal their identities, this is what (probably, possibly, hypothetically, allegedly) happened: now they can do anything they like with customer data they sold some of it to some two-bit marketing outfit and paid for a campaign to spam the FCC with comments against net neutrality.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
        Thumb Up

'twould be interesting to know if the people whose names were used happen to be subscribers to any particular ISP.

...and a HECK of a coincidence if they were all subscribers to the SAME ISP.

Oh, and at the bottom of the FCC online form, there's a "certification" box you have to check before the comment can be submitted that says something like "it's really me, under penalty of perjury", so there's 14 counts of perjury against whoever submitted those robo-comments. (I know this, because I filed a comment against reclassification from Title II)

Not that the Republican dominated FCC or anyone else gives two hoots about prosecuting...

1. Eddy Ito
          Trollface

If there is a verification box it seems comcast haters and many other nobodys are not really concerned about it. I think this one is my favorite.

The online comment systems that Uncle Sam set up are great. People get to vent their spleen and convince themselves that they make a difference and the government gets to ignore all the little people squeaking against the machine. Makes for a more peaceful existence all round. As a bonus it doubles as an automated way for the NSA to entice potential rabble-rousers on all sides to self-identify.

Hmm, the troll icon needs a tinfoil hat.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Yes, who is she?

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

@ allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Its my boy who is Sue. You may be thinking of Sylvia?

2. Ole Juul
    Joke

interference

Surely this is just another example of the Russians interfering with an American democratic process.

(Hope I don't need a sarcasm tag for this.)

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

This is the kind of innovative service...

... that can only be offered when you cut out the dead hand of bureaucracy and give Americans, and their ISPs, freedom and choice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like