back to article Chipotle: Hackers did to our registers what our burritos did to your colon

Fast-food chain Chipotle says hackers infected its point of sale terminals to gain access to card data from stores in 47 states and Washington, DC. The self-described "Mexican Grill" says that the malware was active earlier this year from March 24 to April 18, when it was detected, triggering the company to issue an alert. " …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I give a thumbs up to the title?

I nearly spit sprayed my drink across the room over the mental image it inspired.

1. uncommon_sense

Re: Can I give a thumbs up to the title?

Slowly gathering "data" over a while, then ejecting it at speed in an uncontrolled fashion?

We need an ARSE icon!

Applies to an increasing number of IT subjects...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

Re: We need an ARSE icon...

E pluribus anus ?

2. PNGuinn
        Happy

We need an ARSE icon!

We already have one - and it flies.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'There is no indication that other customer information was affected'

"That sentence is a bit puzzling, as a fraudster who has payment card numbers, dates, & security codes would have little need for any other info."

~ That's how corporate PR spins it nowadays 'to sell the impression' that everything is ok, nothing to see here etc...

~ Get stuffed.... But not on this food, as even before the food poisoning it was a lousy option.

~ And who wants to be on a corporate database any more anyway. Loyalty programs etc??? Rich Minable / Googleable / Hackable gold-mines..

~ But more importantly the big loyalty programs are likely to end up on Google servers, look at credit card purchase data now! They call it 'closing the loop', but what they really mean is 'tightening the noose'...

1. Mark 85

Re: 'There is no indication that other customer information was affected'

I'll reference Animal House and "Stay calm!!!! All is well!!!!!" during the ending mayhem of the movie.

3. jgarbo
    Big Brother

Another reason I always pay cash wherever possible. No paper trail, and often a 5% discount for cash. Cards are surveillance bait.

4. Blake St. Claire

I'm a little unclear about what POS means

Piece Of Shit or Point Of Sale.

Or both.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: I'm a little unclear about what POS means

The majority of POS systems are indeed POS.

Unexpected item in the bagging area...

5. GrapeBunch

I prefer the traditional spelling of Chilpotle. I can't say that's why I've never been to one of those establishments, because I've absented myself from the Home of the Brave for almost a decade, in part because craziness. Mine or theirs, the reader may choose. One thing I do miss is the mama and papa Mexican restaurants. My test dish is Chiles Rellenos. The best ones are made with proper Poblano peppers (which, being open pollinated, may exhibit considerable variation in spiciness), not insipid Anaheims. You can also tell a lot from the quality of the cheese used, and there's play for Chef's skill. El alimento de los dioses.

6. a_yank_lurker

Chilpotle's Woes

First they try food poisoning by mismanaging their supply chain to clean out their customers. Now they get the hacked and have hackers try to clean out their customers in a different manner. I think I will stay clear of them since I do not need either.

7. dmacleo

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/251865/billy-mays-here

obligatory south park chipotlaway post

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It all evens out in the end. Trousers filled, then emptied.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a steaming load of

Chipotle

10. badcrc

Fail

Guys-

Were suprised here? Lets not forgot the numerous numerous disgusting FDA violations. I feel bad for the shareholders, but again they let the madness of there disgusting health practices go unscathed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like