back to article Pure's punchy first fiscal 2017 quarter opens door to billion-dollar year

All-flasher Pure Storage has a feeling this could be its first billion-dollar year and is moving into tightly coupled co-processing between Pure and big 3 public cloud players. Its first fiscal 2018 quarter revenues were $182.6mi; a 31 per cent annual increase and nicely above last quarter's original guidance range of $171m to …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

TL:DR 3 years in and still making a loss.

At what point did CEO stop thinking that making a profit for the companies investors was an actual goal?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: TL:DR 3 years in and still making a loss.

Caveat - I work for Pure.

A good analogy here is Amazon. They invested for growth for a LONG time, over 20 years without profits. But they now dominate their markets, and the profits are rolling in. That's good business strategy. Here are a couple informative articles.

Then:

http://www.ibtimes.com/amazon-nearly-20-years-business-it-still-doesnt-make-money-investors-dont-seem-care-1513368

And now:

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/27/15451726/amazon-q1-2017-earnings-profits-net-income-cash-flow-chart

1. Electron Shepherd

Yes, but is Amazon an example of a good business strategy or just another example of survivorship bias?

See https://www.xkcd.com/1827/

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"A good analogy here is Amazon. They invested for growth for a LONG time, over 20 years without profits."

Amazon still doesn't, really, have profits. They are being bolstered by AWS, as their core business is at best break even, but now that Google has shown up in the cloud market... that will probably be difficult as well as Google is going to put tons of margin pressure on them in IaaS. GCP is already considerably less costly than AWS. AWS is trying build out their own proprietary software, Aurora for instance, to insulate themselves from competition... we'll see if that works.

Pure is in a commodity market... fast storage (all Flash NVMe storage if you want to be specific). All manner of providers can create these all Flash arrays. It is unlikely that Pure ever gets to the level where they are dominating the market and just don't need to worry about competitors which would generate high profits. Unless Pure can convince people to take on some very proprietary version of software so they are locked in (the traditional model to high profits), it is unlikely that they ever become a break out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Investing ~35% of revenue in R&D matters as long as there are results to show for it. Business Success > Investor Success and leads to sustainable Investor Success^10.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The next Amazon....really?

I find the Amazon comparison interesting for a couple of reasons. First, Amazon started in 1994 and benefited from an entirely new business model which the Internet afforded. Second, Amazon morphed dramatically from their roots as a simple book reseller and I don't see Pure doing that. Third, the storage industry is exceedingly crowded and competitive whereas Amazon wasn't coming into a mature market like the storage industry. Lastly, if you are betting your business on being the next Amazon you may as well buy some lottery tickets because it's probably about the same odds. Pure has definitely benefited from being early to market with an all flash offering and has won plenty of battles but they will lose the war.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The next Amazon....really?

That is the traditional way the storage market works. Start up comes in and creates a bunch of noise. If they become a substantial annoyance to EMC, HPE, IBM and now NetApp, then one of those companies buy them. Repeat process a few years later.

It is possible to break out of that cycle, but you need 1) To hit a market others don't think is important and 2) Have some proprietary software so people cannot easily switch when others realize that it is, in fact, an important market. NetApp is the last example. They focus on NAS. The big three storage providers at the time, EMC, IBM and HDS, thought NAS was a side line... not that important. It allowed NetApp to build up a big business before facing the onslaught from, primarily, EMC. At that point, NetApp had people hooked on OnTap so it wasn't trivial to move to the next provider. Not that difficult either, but just enough to hold people in place... although NetApp NAS is kind of coming apart as the cloud providers, AWS and Google, have come in to offer infrequently accessed object storage for a very low cost.

1. JohnMartin

Re: The next Amazon....really?

-Disclosure NetApp Employee-

Oddly enough NetApp hasn't focussed exclusively on NAS for quite some time, and has grown it's SAN marketshare nicely on the back of an all flash growth rate which is double that of Pure's off a higher base. It also and provides object storage at a cost / GB which is about half that of S3 (Glacier is a different proposition, but thats more of a tape competitor than a NAS competitor)

Having said that you're right that cloud is gobbling up a lot of the traditional EMC and HDS and HP and Dell and NetApp "7-mode" business which is why the "SAN/NAS disk array" parts of those businesses are flat or shrinking, Offsetting that (at least for NetApp) are fast growth bits of the on-premesis market which are growing nicely, (Object, All Flash, Infrastructure analytics, HCI etc),

Personally I'm skeptical that Pure will hit escape velocity and make it as an independent company, and the list of potential buyers is pretty small these days .. Lenovo, SanDisk, and maybe Cisco (whiptail 2.0) I heard that HP had a good look at them but were turned off by the future evergreen commitments and decided to buy Nimble instead. I doubt that they'll be the next Violin, but I strongly suspect the age of building major new on-premesis infrastructure provider is gone, especially when your competition isn't just the incumbents like EMC and NetApp, but also Samsung, Intel, Micron, and AWS and Azure and Google, and every "Built from the ground up NVMe Startup" who are going to try copying Pure's business model and start poaching their best engineers and sales folks .. building a better mousetrap can only take you so far in an business environment.

Time will tell.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disclaimer: former Nimble employee (spent 4 years there).

Good for Pure. I used to think they had the worse chance to really make it, because all they had was AFA solutions, and they accepted so much funding I thought they'd be too diluted. I thought Nimble had the better product portfolio and chance for success.

Boy, was I wrong.

Nimble ended up being a bargain-basement acquisition, and Pure keeps climbing in revenue and market cap, and will probably hit that billion dollars in yearly revenue in the foreseeable future. Good for them. Glad to see somebody seems to have read the market correctly, at least for storage arrays.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

workloads shifting more towards data storage....said nobody except Pure. Storage is still very important, flash etc workloads probably to remain on prem for a while which may be why a flash storage company said that. As a whole with cloud, HCI, stuff like MS server 2016 storage essentials, VSAN, then hybrid or virtual based backup solutions or gateway appliances etc id say the market is 100% NOT shifting more towards data storage as a whole.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon