back to article 'Cloak and dagger' vuln rolls critical hit against latest Android versions

A distinct class of Android vulnerability has been unearthed by computer scientists at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta. "Cloak and dagger" is a new kind of attack vector affecting Android devices (including the latest version, 7.1.2). "Attacks allow a malicious app to completely control the UI feedback loop and …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Report it to Google and watch the inaction rollout across the platforms.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seriously?

That video needs subtitles. I work in a Physics Department, so I am used to thick Indian & Chinese accests, but the narrator clearly was a horrible choice.

1. ldm

Re: Seriously?

The video linked in the article just has a minute of uselessness prepended, the original Georgia Tech video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgZmWmbQg84

3. Graham Cobb Silver badge

30 year old bug re-emerges on Android

Wow. I remember when computers started requiring that you press BREAK before they would give a login prompt, because people wrote programs that made it looked like the terminal was waiting for login and captured passwords. I think it was VAX/VMS V2, in the 1980's, which first introduced it (at least to me).

Microsoft adopted the same strategy with requiring CTRL-ALT-DEL before you could login.

But someone forgot about this and started writing phone OS's that allow apps that require passwords and you can't use a secure gesture to make sure you are really talking to the right app?

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Should Android be classed as an Advanced Persistant Threat?

On this basis, probably.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like