back to article Huawei missed memo that PC's dead – so here are three new notebooks

Huawei this week launched three Intel devices running Windows 10: a slim notebook, a Surface-a-like 2-in-1, and a conventional 15.6" laptop. “We want to bring a full range of products for your digital life including a smartphone, a smart tablet, smart watch, wearable devices, and also notebooks, the PC,” said Richard Yu, CEO …

1. tin 2

It's fabulous to see manufacturers putting in the effort to prove apple wrong as possible when it comes to the 3.5mm jack :)

1. David Lawton

We know who will have the last laugh though. Whilst i still have an iPhone SE with a headphone jack, i got some bluetooth ones and i don't want to go back to wires!

1. Tim Seventh

"don't want to go back to wires"

Remember after you've used up your 5 hours battery, connect your Bluetooth device to your wire charger. Oh wait...

How about this, we get to keep the headphone jack to listen music while waiting for the Bluetooth device to finish charging.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Bluetooth Headphones

@ Tim Seventh

Where on earth do you get the figure of five hours before needing to re charge your headphones?

I have used Bluetooth phones for years and never have I had them run out of charge i such a short time.

And another point nobody ever mentions. Using wired 'phones tells any would be thief just which pocket your telephone is in…

Cheers… Ishy

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Bluetooth Headphones

Wireless headsets, great until the charging port breaks just after the warranty has run out.

2. scrubber

Manufacturers like Apple! Their tablets have headphone ports.

2. Adam JC

Curiously placed fingerprint sensor

"Borrowing a feature from Huawei smartphones, the power button on the MateBook X doubles as a fingerprint sensor, giving you one-touch power and log-on."

Would this not result in inadvertently pressing the power button? I guess a gentle touch is required!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Curiously placed fingerprint sensor

Assuming it is like the one integrated in the home button of an iPhone, you just touch it for fingerprint ID, you don't press it down. Significantly more force is required to actually press it, you don't have to worry about "touching too hard".

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Curiously placed fingerprint sensor

Would this not result in inadvertently pressing the power button?

Not on my new MacBook Pro. I just put my finger lightly on the sensor.

It does take a second or so to recognise the finger on wake-up though. Unlock from screensaver is a lot quicker.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Why the 15in screen cop out?

The smaller devices have lots of pixels so why did they revert to HD for the larger device?

Could the cost of an equivalent his res 15in screen be too expensive?

Is the bios locked (Secure boot) so it can only run Windows? Otherwise a nice bit of kit but too expensive IMHO for a Linux netbook.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Why the 15in screen cop out? @Steve Davies 3

"Otherwise a nice bit of kit but too expensive IMHO for a Linux netbook."

I don't get this. Are you saying that Linux devices need to be cheap?

1. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

My main Linux machines are not cheap. They're overpowered monsters. I actually do stuff with my computers.

I have a number of Linux based appliances that use cheap kit because the task allows it. I wouldn't put much power in a device that's a glorified terminal either.

Something should be no more or less expensive than the task requires. Quality should win out over cheapness. Many of us dumped other options not because Linux is cheap but because the other options were crap.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

I did say 'netbook'. Does that not imply a price range?

While I run Linux on a 2012 Macbook Pro many Linux fans I know tend to look towards the bottom end of the market.

They don't have to be cheap but it helps.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why the 15in screen cop out?

"Otherwise a nice bit of kit but too expensive IMHO for a Linux netbook."

Xiaomi has a neat design coming out which, if they can somehow be obtained in this country, looks like it will run Linux. It may be worth considering.

3. DNTP

Re: Why linux cheap?

Because a budget computer that can run modern Linux smoothly and functionally, will provide a convincing simulation of autoerotic asphyxiation after experiencing a Windows 10 install.

4. Lars Silver badge
      Linux

Re: Why the 15in screen cop out?

Secure boot on Linux is no problem, just do a search on it, and the first thing I would do if I bought one would be to put Linux on it. A multi boot perhaps but I doubt it as I skipped them years ago.

Too expensive, well it would be nice not to pay anything for the Windows if you decide to dump it but I don't really care about that.

4. TRT Silver badge

Why...

Do I keep reading that as Macbook?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why...

Certainly not by design.

Certainly not.

5. anoncow

Linux?

Do they boot Linux? Do they?

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Linux?

And if so, is there a driver for the touchscreen?

1. Whiskers

Re: Linux?

My Toshiba Ultra HD4K i7 laptop running Arch Linux has an operational touch-screen. I hardly ever use it though, the old USB track-ball is still my preferred pointy-clicky thing.

6. PTW
    FAIL

Touch screen

Who the hell wants fingerprints all over a laptop screen!? Oooh! Shiny, shiny, err, no, I'll take mine matte please. And keep your grubby paws off it!!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Touch screen

But is seems that Microsoft has decreed that laptops shall have a touch screen like their Surface things.

The doids in PC-World will be flogging the hell out of any device that has touch even if like my, you want a matte display and certainly no fingerprints allowed. Greasy fingers stop me from doing real work.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree, but all the 20 somethings I know actually use the touch screen on their laptops, so I think even Apple will eventually be forced to give in and put a touchscreen on them. Just because it has one doesn't mean you have to use it, though it would be nice if it remains an order time option. The HP laptop I bought last fall had a touch screen option, which I declined to save $50 and an ounce or so.

3. Wade Burchette

Hold your hand up to your screen. How long before it gets tired? Not very long. This is why touchscreen laptops are about as smart as volunteering to be kicked in both shins immediately after volunteering to be kicked in the groin hard.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure they could have ripped of Apple more... oh wait. oh dear. And running virus, crash-free Windows.

8. Pen-y-gors

PCs dead?

Really I find that hard to believe. Phones and tablets are fine for people who want to consume data off the network, and occasionally send a short message or a photo. But for people who actually want to do some work and create something, a netbook is a minimum requirement, and ideally something bigger and meatier. Who would consider writing anything longer than a tweet on a phone keyboard with predictive text? If Tolstoy had had to use a tablet War and Peace would be about 1000 words rather than 1000 pages.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: PCs dead?

Gartner's 'analysis' is not based on reality. The PC market is a mature market for both hardware and software and has been for several years. Many home users will reduce the number of PCs with time as they often do not need to use one; a phone or tablet is more than adequate. The market is recalibrating to a lower unit sales per year. But if one wants to play in the market one must introduce new kit to peak people's interest. The PC market is much like the appliance or auto markets. New models are introduced all the time to grab market share from the competitors.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuck me, how much?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My thoughts exactly!

Halve the price and I might be interested.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wake me up when we're no longer forced to pay for Windows like the certainty of Death & Taxes etc

Not interested either in struggling over whatever UEFI / Boot / Bios barriers M$ & manufactures have conspired to put in... Wake up PC makers. You're all Microsoft's bitches... Show some backbone, independence, whatever.... But offer Linux pre-installed or include it as an option. Otherwise I'm in the holdouts maintaining existing rigs indefinitely and not buying new hardware!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Downvotes

Amazing! Why do people support choice being taken away?

11. Cuddles

Who came up with what?

"Microsoft came up with the Surface design"

Surely this should read "Asus came up with the Transformer design, which was later copied by a bunch of other people including Microsoft"? Although technically Compaq actually came up with it nearly a decade earlier, unfortunately for them before the hardware was really up to the task. And unlike many other cases like this, MS aren't the ones that took the idea and made it popular, they just jumped on an already popular bandwagon along with pretty much everyone else.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who came up with what?

Was that one not based on the Via Openbook reference designs though? Still downloadable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like