back to article Java Daddy James Gosling goes to work for Amazon Web Services

Java creator James Gosling has announced he now works for Amazon Web Services. Gosling took to Facebook to announce “It's time for a change. I'm leaving Boeing Defense (nee Liquid Robotics), with many fond memories. Today I start a new Adventure at Amazon Web Services.” AWS has found a job for Gosling as a distinguished …

1. Tim99 Silver badge

His description -

An "Adventure" - Really?

2. Steve Button Silver badge

Who?

You mean Ryan Gosling? Get your DevOps memes right, Register. ;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

When asked, Gosling explained that he chose Amazon for two reasons: the insane amount money offered (a bit more than Uber could come up with) and the fact that all their core systems are written in Python. Gosling went on to quip: "I'm getting older now - I don't have enough time and finger strength left to write any meaningful Java!"

4. disgruntled yank

Reflection

As I recall, when Gosling left Oracle, the reflection on his thoughts on Oracle was like the reflection from those curved skyscrapers in Las Vegas that can set newspapers on fire and cook loungers at poolside.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They can work for me, or for my competitors

Sometimes the purpose of employing good people in the industry is to *stop* them working for the competition.

E.g. Dave Cutler and Tony Hoare (look them up) have both been employed by Microsoft Research for ages. It's entirely conceivable that the purpose of MS employing them is not to develop products for MS, but to *stop* them arguing against MS from outside.

https://news.microsoft.com/features/the-engineers-engineer-computer-industry-luminaries-salute-dave-cutlers-five-decade-long-quest-for-quality/

https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/people/tony.hoare/

"[...]

On reaching retirement age at Oxford, he welcomed an opportunity to go back to industry as a senior researcher with Microsoft Research in Cambridge. He hopes to expand the opportunities for industrial application of good academic research, and to encourage academic researchers to continue the pursuit of deep and interesting questions in areas of long-term interest to the software industry and its customers.

[...]"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like