back to article Pioneer Kodi plug-in unplugs

Developers of the popular Kodi plug-in Navi-X have pulled the plug on further development, citing the "current legal climate" around its work. The developers of the plugin, which first appeared a decade ago, state that they're no longer able to host Navi-X programme guides: "Hosting Navi-X playlists is no longer something we …

1. djstardust

They should look

At Facebook buy and sell groups (although many are closed groups)

Loads of people advertising them on there. Easy pickings to get this illegal activity curtailed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They should look

Agreed, these box streamers are scum. Unlike noble torrenters.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: They should look

take your point but the streamers are usually making a killing from back-end advertising.

Torrents, usenet and other direct downloads are only hurting the studios and distributors.

and frankly, go cry me a river...

2. Criminny Rickets
    Boffin

Non issue

I never used Navi-X anyway. I tried it out, but found there were other Add Ons that were easier to use for the content I was looking for. Add On's such as Classic Cinema Online or Crackler, both of which are available without resorting to Third Party Addon Ons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Non issue

It's risible that copyright owners are enforcing their rights to programmes from the 50s, 60s & 70s. As if the millenials are interested in watching such vintage viewing rather than the latest GoT.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

In the UK, for broadcast material (TV shows), the copyright period is 50 years from the year of first broadcast, therefore anything broadcast 1966 and earlier has expired. For films it's rather harder to calculate as it's based on the death of the directors, authors, etc plus 70 years, therefore it has to be judged on a per film basis. However it does mean that some true classics from the 1930s are generally available now.

In the US, however, the Disney Corporation paid to change the copyright law to protect one of their most boring, but for some reason iconic characters, Mickey Mouse. Doubtless they'll do the same again in another 15 or so years to extend the US copyright period for films further.

1. Dave Ross

And then again for another 15 ad nauseum

2. Long John Brass

Have you not seen a recent Disney Flick?

Steam boat willy is now an animated trademark

Copyright end-run complete!

1. MonkeyCee

"Steam boat willy is now an animated trademark"

Ah, I wondered why that was there. They also seem to stick some sort of re-use of their old material in an animated short, so they can at least claim Mickey et al are actually making "new" stuff.

2. FuzzyWuzzys
        Flame

OK, so the software you wrote last year, can I have it for free please as I want to rip the guts out the reuse your ideas for my own software 'cos I'm a lazy bugger quite frankly. I mean it's over a year old, you must have written better by now so you won't need it right?

I still make money from photos I shot 8 years ago on one of my early DSLRs I had at the time. I created the work, I put my hard earned knowledge into it so surely I deserve to still be paid for it? It's mine and I decide what to do with it. It's not up to you to decide when a piece of work goes into the public domain, it's my choice as the copyright holder. I do love the attitude from people who don't create artwork, they all think that copyright only applies to big studios and that copyright is a bad thing. Copyright is something that everyone has a right to use over their creative work, photos, art, games, software, writing, etc, you create something and you have a right to dictate how it's used.

Much as I think the big studios are scum for keeping the copyright for so long, I have to respect that's their right same as I would expect them to respect my copyright too.

1. defiler

"I still make money from photos I shot 8 years ago on one of my early DSLRs I had at the time. I created the work, I put my hard earned knowledge into it so surely I deserve to still be paid for it?"

Yep. And we're talking about 50 years after a TV show has aired, or 70 years after the death of certain individuals for a movie.

Nobody is trying to change the copyright laws here, and frankly if you can't extract the monetary value of your work within 50 years then you must be working on cold fusion.

Now go forth and sell your works with joy. And remuneration!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: The Need For Speed

Those with even half a clue ditched Navi-X many moons ago and switched to much slicker alternatives.

4. Snorlax Silver badge
    Pirate

Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi

So Navi-X is gone?

I guess streamers are now limited to 1Channel, Phoenix, Exodus, Specto, SALTS, Movies4k, USTVnow, Red Beard or any of hundreds of clones of the above.

So long Navi-X, you probably won't be missed.

5. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Could I suggest that...

Could I suggest that they start looking for these sellers on Amazon and eBay? Both sites seem riddled with them.

I'm not sure how I know that though.

6. defiler

Kodi devs must be happy

They seem to have been rather pissed off with these streaming boxes for some time, having to field / deflect support requests constantly. At least now they can just shout "trading standards" and get back to what they came for in the first place.

Also, I never liked the name Kodi, and always preferred XBMC. And sometime think that even that was too much and it should have been left as XBMP... So? I'm grisly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon