back to article Posting in an EPYC thread: AMD renames Xeon-bashing Naples

AMD has renamed its Zen-based Naples processor as the EPYC brand, pitching it as a data centre server CPU, and hopes to make inroads into both the dual-socket and single-socket server markets. We wrote about Naples in March, when we said it featured: A scalable, 32-core System on Chip (SoC) design, with two threads per core …

1. scienceomatica

When it comes to AMD products, nothing significant will happen, and in cases with Ryzen processors, of course, some progress and improvement are there, but it's a big gap between marketing and real results. Compared Naples to Skylake sp series the difference will be great in favor of Intel.

1. ToddRundgrensUtopia

Hmm, Intel is generally double the performance of AMD for FP, but not integer, so it will probably depend on your application area. Racing cars and planes Intel, Life sciences maybe AMD

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> "Intel is generally double the performance of AMD for FP, but not integer"

Isn't that largely because Piledriver had a shared FP unit per module (2 cores), but integer units for each core in the module? Anandtech's review of the Ryzen 1800X puts puts it on a par with the i7-5960X - a couple of tests Ryzen's a bit behind, and a few it's a long way in front (I'm mostly looking at the encoding and scientific simulation benchmarks, but it holds true for their normal usage benchmarks too).

2. kain preacher

Wow so all those reviews I've seen are wrong then ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like