back to article Google buys developers of VR goof-around Job Simulator

Google has acquired VR games company Owlchemy Labs, makers of Job Simulator. The witty cross-platform VR role-playing game is set in 2050. You're invited to strap on your goggles and engage in now-forgotten activities such as booking a meeting room, finding the office stapler, or other drudgeries associated with early 21st …

1. d3vy

I had a try at job simulator a few months ago - after a long day on site with a client.

Just what I needed - virtual work.

2. Herby
    Black Helicopters

Aren't...

All jobs simulated at some time? Yes, virtually all of them...

Which icon to chose... Troll, Joke, I'll get my coat? So many choices.

Of course, this appeals to government workers, as they do little work anyway... What is that noise??

3. Doctor_Wibble
    Headmaster

The stapler must be red

I don't think this is optional.

Also, a simulated office environment isn't complete without the requisite recharge points, med kits, ammo boxes, crates, grenade launchers and obviously a teleport because lifts can be really annoying to get right, depending on which game it is.

I know a few people did this - though it was back in the olden days when people didn't look at you funny for having a game server, maybe it's going to be back in fashion now and I can dig out the heap of rust in the corner of the garage... and then find there's no spares for the parts that got eaten by badgers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The stapler must be red

I believe there was a case where someone brought on the Lawsuit Butthurt because it was believed that a virtual map of the workplace (or was it a school) was the same as Making Violent Threats or some such. One complaint and off it goes.

Had most of my building mapped out for Unreal Tournament and was working on the bitmaps of certain Management Personnel as Boss Monsters on each level....wasn't able to figure out scripting of monster movement tho.

aha. here's the link to the real story. Special Snowflakes ruining fun and people's lives because they're "offended" but come up with legaleze excuses to make it sound legit:

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/07/05/02/1839251/student-arrested-for-making-videogame-map-of-school

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Fort-Bend-school-trustees-put-off-video-game-1803466.php

1. Doctor_Wibble
        Trollface

Re: The stapler must be red

> Had most of my building mapped out for Unreal Tournament and was working on the bitmaps of certain Management Personnel as Boss Monsters on each level....wasn't able to figure out scripting of monster movement tho.

There's your problem right there - do scripting first, and scarily obsessive skinning later - if you care about whether or not it looks like you are blowing the boss more than about the gameplay then you're definitely missing the point of the exercise...

Away. Blowing the boss *away*. Blame Demolition Man for that one!

4. Simon Harris

I read it as Jobs Simulator

And thought the game was going to be starting up and running a large computer company.

The multiplayer version comes with a Woz Simulator.

5. getHandle

You don't trip over the cat

The little sods trip you up on purpose!

6. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

virtual jobs are most popular

with people who don't have a real one, natch.

which makes one wonder how they own expensive hardware and display/interface units to play it.

the Microsoft Store has a setup for demo and it's always younger kids and the occasional Millenial playing it. Everyone else looks at it and thinks "I already did that for 60 hours this week" and moves on.

1. annodomini2

Re: virtual jobs are most popular

EVE online being a case in point

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like