back to article Police watchdog investigates illegal outsourced Indian hackers scandal

The UK's Independent Police Complaints Commission is investigating claims that the Metropolitan Police used outsourced Indian hackers to illegally access the email accounts of Guardian journalists and environmental campaigners. A whistleblower claiming to be a serving police employee said the Met evaded Britain’s already lax …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The whole article ...

is a not-at-all-disguised plug for 2FA everywhere :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

IPCC

Since the Investigatory Powers Act 2016 allows the IPCC itself massive scope to carry this sort of spying, perhaps they can start by using these powers to snoop on the Metropolitan Police. Or are these powers only meant to be used against the hoi polloi.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: IPCC

If they snoop on themselves, it will only be so they can find (and then remove) any remaining "good eggs"

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: IPCC

The unit investigates "National Domestic Extremism and Disorder Intelligence" only one of those applies to the police

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

If the whistle blower calls themselves a police employee, it's highly unlikely to be an officer. More likely one of the many civilian support staff they have.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Or they could be very senior, and just doing that to throw people off the scent.

The ol' double bluff guv'nor.

4. Bogle
    Big Brother

Just here for the icons

Nothing to add, the icon says it all.

5. wolfetone Silver badge

"Amazingly, the cop-watchers’ deputy chairwoman, Sarah Green also asked the author of the letter "believed to be a serving or retired officer" to come forward and identify themselves."

What for?

Oh that's right. To give him a kicking. Think they're that stupid?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What kicking. Revoke his state pension of course.

As an example to others who will stand in the way of the darkening of the shirt color and appearance of the red armbands.

And some kicking AFTER THAT - after making him destitute.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The committee have asked the whistle blower to beat himself up before appearing to help with over-stretched police resources

6. Stevie

Bah!

So basically, everyone in the UK in on Double Secret Probation?

Just like in America!

1. Mike Moyle

Re: Bah!

"So basically, everyone in the UK in on Double Secret Probation?

Just like in America!"

We're all just sittin' right here on the "Group W" bench...

1. Chris Thomas

I saw what you did there

Top marks for the Alice's Restaurant reference. I didn't think anyone else remembered that far back.

1. Alistair
          Windows

Re: I saw what you did there

@ChrisThomas

Remember that far back? God no.

I need 27 8X10 Glossy's with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one to recall these things......

As, apparently, do the "dectives" in the referenced group of officers of the (so called) law.

1. The Nazz

Folks .....

we have a movement.

ps first time i ever heard the reference "seeing eye dog" for what we call a Guide Dog.

cue Steve Martin "what kind of seeing eye dog is this?"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

We should be pleased

that at least they didn't get people pregnant this time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We should be pleased

generating another generation of bastards?

8. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

'What the hell are you doing here?’ said Sergeant Gilks, wearily.

‘I am here,’ said Dirk, ‘in pursuit of justice.’

‘Well, I wouldn’t mix with me then,’ said Gilks, ‘and I certainly wouldn’t mix with the Met.'

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not possible -- we're too busy catching T's & P's

Oh, and pulling shit like this because we serve the corporate interests of the elite... Anything else is mere window dressing...

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0206/850523-call-for-pinquiry-into-british-undercover-police-b/

10. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Happy

I keep reading the name . . .

. . . as "Extremely Disordered Intelligence Unit." I'm either very tired or extremely perceptive, not sure which.

1. quxinot

Re: I keep reading the name . . .

Why not both?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will the whistleblower please identify himself, asks IPCC

ROFL

Yeah, we're that serious about getting a prosecution...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Step forward PC World!

You're facking nicked me owd beauty.

13. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

No need to worry...

Rest easy readers. The IPCC in their "truly independent" role will ensure a full, thorough and transparent investigation takes place, and will defintely rule that the Plod have done nothing wrong in any case.

I for one sleep really well at night knowing that the guards are being guarded by such an independent overseer that has not once ever closed ranks to protect its own on multiple, or, err... many... oh ok, pretty much every time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like