back to article VMware-Dell integration kicks off with on-prem VDI-and-PC-as-a-service

When Dell acquired EMC one of the things we were promised was clever integration between Dell EMC hardware and VMware software. The results so far? Virtzilla's turn in the Dell EMC World spotlight saw it announce “Dell EMC VDI Complete Solutions”, VDI-in-a-box rigs. Dell's done this stuff for ages, for both VMware and Citrix, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price/Month**

I am guessing there is a minimum committed number of users, and a minimum contract term?

Does this actually work out cheaper than leasing?

2. Buzzword

Thin Client Add-On

I can understand adding on a Wyse thin client; but why is there an option to add on a full Dell OptiPlex i3 or i5 desktop PC? That basically eliminates all the benefits of VDI.

1. bdj

Re: Thin Client Add-On

There's quite a few reasons for hybrid solutions, it really depends upon how you are consuming VDI and the reasons for VDI in the first place. Local machine resources can be overall more appropriate alternative for single use / limited applications stacks for example application that have licensing which isn't aligned to VDI.

3. baspax

5 year investment means $1,080 per user (VxRail V). In other words, one millon for 900 users

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhA

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OS Licensing

Safe to assume this doesn't include the cost of Microsoft licensing?

5. Oneman2Many

There are many reason for VDI including keeping clients close to data to reduce latency, controlling data access, allowing access for off-shore development, and plenty more. Its not all about reducing desktops. The three year commitment and no option for machine pooled licences as opposed to user based is a bit of a pain.

Looking at the prices, its unlikely to include desktop licenses, but as MS have such widely varies pricing models its hard to include those. And to be honest, on prem hosting costs is likely to exceed hardware and license costs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like