back to article Massive Oracle sales re-org to accelerate cloud cash drive

Oracle is restructuring sales to make more money from cloud, with industry chat claiming layoffs are expected after the end of this month. From Oracle’s new fiscal year, starting June 1, each Oracle customer will have a single account manager – instead of multiple managers for each Oracle product they use. The re-org has been …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds about right

Cloud is a nebulous thing and does not require the touting activities of a massive army of sales droids.

2. Korev Silver badge

Training?

Pillar sales engineers are - as a result - being chopped and will be replaced by a breed of Oracle employee currently in short supply - Enterprise Cloud Architects.

Have they thought about training their existing staff to take on the new role instead of firing them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Training?

Ha!

They were very late to cloud, slow to provide easy-to-use cloud management services/UIs, silo'd staff, repeatedly failed to plan and invest in managed organic re-skilling of existing/takeover staff, for wasted years, so must now rush to try and recruit/pinch already skilled staff, and waste yet more on avoidable redundancies.

I doubt that this (I assume) panicked, further management restructure to cloud will save Oracle from continued decline, because the management still don't seem to get that Cloud is a commodity service with a lot of aggressive competition, so requires finer grained prices with much thinner margins than they were used to, with probably declining customers and revenue until new customers can see real competitiveness!

2. Julz

Re: Training?

HaHa, training, haha. Have a look on the corporate website to see if there are any jobs is the best you'll get.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have they thought about training their existing staff to take on the new role instead of firing them?

The problem Oracle sees with that is 'it costs money' and Larry hasn't caught up with Bill G yet.

4. disgruntled yank

Pillars

Some of us who have been around a while remember Pillar Data Systems, a company since bought by Oracle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_Data_Systems.

5. Denarius

Am I out of touch

or are cuts due to Larry wanting a new yacht ? I can't escape the feeling that Oracle is another old ship circling a big plug hole. Mental image from one of those pirate of Carribean movies.

6. Sagitarius333

Larry was late to understand "Cloud" but his company has no clue yet.

7. HCV

Snap

Oracle would not provide a statement... "in light of the fact this is a global story.”

Be off with you, you Brexiting island dwellers, you!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like