back to article How would you pronounce 'Cyxtera'?

How would you pronounce 'Cyxtera'? Chiz-terra? Psychs-terra? Kicks-terra? Size-terra? Or perhaps “A million bucks of brand consultancy buys surprisingly little”? Okay, that last one's a bit long-winded. We're asking because that's the new name for the combined entity that private equiteers BC Partners and Medina Capita have …

1. Riskie
    Trollface

How about sex tera or suck tera

Lets have a bunch of lawyers run a datacenter, rock on.

2. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Six-terra

So, not a hard 'C' like Cthulhu?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: Six-terra

Huddle up, little Cyxtera, in the august company of pointlessly expensive rebrands. Meet your elder sister Consignia (don't call her Royal Mail, she'll only get upset) and your distant cousin the ICI roundel, colours inverted, one wave less and worth every one of the millions it cost. Fare well, my little elongated C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The BP redesign from shield to flower and back to slightly-different shield wonders why it was forgotten quite so soon.

2. Simon Harris

No idea really, but with the X on a double-letter square and the A on a triple-letter square, it scores 81 on a Scrabble board*.

(*your language version may differ)

1. Mark 85
        Headmaster

No idea really, but with the X on a double-letter square and the A on a triple-letter square, it scores 81 on a Scrabble board*.

It would if it were a "legal" word. As is, a proper name and so invalid.

1. Simon Harris

That depends on whether you're playing traditional rules or 2010 updated rules.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8604625.stm

3. Brenda McViking
    Headmaster

I'd have said Sex-tra.

That logo reminds me of the sort of 90s wordart I put on my junior school IT homework.

4. Barry Rueger

JCEYUIJOKVBYHUJIOK.com

(repost) Yet again a tech firm grabs a handful of tiles out of the Scrabble bag, slams them down, and says, "That's our new name!"

5. jeremyjh

Pretty sure it's a silent x and is properly pronounced "shit-error".

Isn't that logo's insane width meant to evoke the HP rebrand?

6. Steve K

Loon pants!

Meh - looks like a pair of 70s purple loon pants that have fallen on their side...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Loon pants!

They may look like 70s purple loon pants but those are smart internet-of-things 24/7/365 adaptive cloud connected multi core wearable loon pants - available now for just $999! (monthly service fee applies)

7. MJI Silver badge

Inhale pepper

And sneeze, that is near enough

8. tony2heads

Cyst -Era or Cist-Era

An age of pust-filled sacks, of the time of ancient coffins

1. tony2heads

Re: Cyst -Era or Cist-Era

On reflection I think my first suggestion is the better

9. BugabooSue
    Mushroom

Just Fuck Off!!

Holy Crap!

Another pointless 'trendy' (dumbarse!) name/rebrand/puke-inducing that tells you fuck-all about the company other than they sniffed the "Pretentious Wank" Cool-Aid.

Just Fuck Off!!

(Having a bad day dealing with "Centrica" - you're a jumped-up fucking gas delivery company for fuck's sake!!) [And yes, I know they are a multi-utility energy company, but I don't feel like letting the facts get in the way of a good rant!]

Susi xx

10. handleoclast
    FAIL

Logo fail

The branding company tried, but failed by a large margin, to set a record for the most money for the worst logo.

That record (which is unlikely to be beaten) was detailed by Lester Haines here and here.

11. John G Imrie

How would you pronounce 'Cyxtera'?

I pronounce it 'poncey name dreamt up by marketing as hats to extract the most money from the client'

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only half the story...

Not knowing how to pronounce it is bad enough, but what companies also keep forgetting when they adopt these trendy names is how customers and contractors will spell it when they've only heard the name over the phone. I guarantee they're going to get lots of invoices and suchlike made out to "Six Terra" or similar.

It's probably less of an issue in these online-dominated days, but I remember going through all that when IBM's disk drive plant broke away and - despite derision from virtually every employee - decided to call itself "Xyratex" (ZIRA-TEKS). In the following months, and even years, we got loads of letters addressed to "Ziratechs" and similar. A popular pastime over lunch was calculating the number of ways you could spell it phonetically.

As for pronunciation: my favourite was from a very literal client who referred to us as "X-Y Rate-X"...

13. TRT Silver badge

I'd say...

Six-Terra.

14. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

But, but, but, ...

Six tera sounds awfully little storage for a data centre in this day and age!

OK, sorry, I'll get me coat

15. disgruntled yank

Suggestion for next time

How about Clystera? After all, isn't the internet all about tubes?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rebranding

I've lived through a couple of company rebranding exercises. As well as a new logo all documentation was restyled for the new branding.

Designers working in their own little Apple Mac bubble decided on a replacement typeface. Unfortunately all their "good" work was wasted as both companies used MS Windows which did not include the new typeface.

P.S. "...private equiteers BC Partners and Medina Capita..."

should read

"...private equiteers BC Partners and Medina Capital..." with an L

1. Swarthy
      Paris Hilton

Re: Rebranding

I read "private equiteers" as privateers, as I believe was intended.

17. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
    Coat

"How would you pronounce 'Cyxtera'?"

Just as it's spelled, Mr Nippl-e.

(Mine's the one with the cricket bat in the pocket.)

18. Stevie

Bah!

SEX terra of course.

19. Marcus Fil
    Coat

Eamon

on the assumption it is an Irish name and therefore its pronunciation bears no discernable relationship with the letters contained therein and how they could possibly be pronounced in English (see Aoife, Cian, Niamh, Oisin, Siobhan, Seamus, Sean, Sinead etc.)

20. philthane

A word means what I say it means

Long ago Cambridgeshire schools needed a pupil appraisal scheme and ran a pilot 'Cambridgeshire Records of Achievement Pilot Scheme' (check the acronym). After the 'success' of the pilot it was hastily renamed Cambridgeshire Pilot Record of Achievement (CPRA) which we were instructed on a training day was to be pronounced 'Sipra'. It was still crap.

21. RichardB

Hum.. What can we run

In a Cyxtera datacenter?

I think we should at least start with PysPark.

But what else should we use?

22. leegee

Sick-terra

When the BBC's twat-run Digital Curriculum project was expensively re-branded BBC Jam.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like