back to article Oracle links to LinkedIn so its salesware can sniff you out

Your LinkedIn profile just got a little bit more useful … for marketers, because Oracle has done a deal with Microsoft's social network. The arrangement means that Big Red's Marketing Cloud can now integrate their own data with in LinkedIn data, the better to “increase conversion rates and generate more sales by helping …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem with linkedIn is

that you seemingly can never truly delete yourself from their system.

When I retired, I deleted my profile and for a while I got no more emails from LinkedIn. Then about 3 months after MS absorbed them into the MS droid, they started again. I got on only the other day titleld

We're updating our Terms of Service

I can't complain to LI because I don't have a profile. Caught in a Catch-22 situation unless someoned here knows of a magic solution to turn them off entirely.

If this is impossible then I wish everyone who works for the MS Division that was once LinkedIn a truly miserable life.

This move by Oracle would bave been the spur for me to delete my profile (if it wasn't already gone). I've had various dealings with Oracle over the years and was once a 7.3.4 DBA. In latter years they have IMHO become a nasty company to deal with and I'm happy that I no longer have to deal with them.

Lets see if Oracle get my details (which mentioned Oracle) from LI and I get sales calls from them as my last employer also used Oracle.

MS and Oracle... Two peas in a money grabbing pod if you ask me.

1. mr. deadlift
      Trollface

Re: The problem with linkedIn is

Solution:

Take a trip to an EU country.

Become citizen or perma resident, whatever enables you to execute step three

Tell EU bureaucracy that LI are violating your privacy.

????

Profit.

Couldn't to visit right?

2. hplasm
      Boffin

I thought this might happen, so when LI was gobbled up, I first deleted all info from my profile, saved it, put in a load of old bollox, saved it, deleted it, saved it, changed the password and then closed the account.

OK so far ...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I first deleted all info from my profile"

So you think.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you're in the EU you're looking at a simple violation of data protection laws - this is a case of not treating data with care. You can throw Microsoft a pretty hard brick, and the fun bit is that you can escalate into the EU which happens to be looking at Privacy Shield again. Yum :).

2. David 132 Silver badge
    Mushroom

Targeted spam is still spam

you'll receive targeted marketing rather than spam.

Aargh, can we squish this right now please?

Despite the best efforts of the ad industry to redefine words to mean exactly what they want... spam is what used to be called Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail. Targeted marketing is still spam if I didn't ask for it (and believe me, I didn't, don't, and won't ever). In fact it's the worst kind of spam, because it shows that the sender has dug into my life, my habits and my preferences like some creepy stalker.

Grrr.

1. Steve K

Re: Targeted spam is still spam

It's not the same as spam as it's most likely not email that is targeted here.

This will be for targeting on Ad platforms and LinkedIn itself to (try to) show you ads wherever you go on the web where they think they can correlate your presence with the information they have on you...

As is mentioned below, I can't see how LinkedIn information can possibly improve data quality given the fiction and wanky-words used in most profiles in the LinkedIn echo chamber.

(Maybe LinkedIn is like an anti-laser cavity? The buzzwords reflect and resonate off the ends of this chamber until a pure stream of incoherent information of the same wavelength emerges and obliterates all in its path).

3. CentralCoasty

Meh?

I think we are all used to targeted advertising and fully aware that the situation is going to get worse - not better - as time progress'.

That said I am split between annoyance and amusement in that one advert that constantly pops-up for me on Google Chrome relates to a website that I already have a subscription for..... I keep going to the website, so it works out that I want to see ads about that website?!?

Would I appreciate USEFUL targeted ads? I dont know - because I dont get them.

All I know is that the crap that I get targeted with at the moment holds no interest to me and has yet to generate any extra sales..... but then maybe I'm not a sheep....... consumerism..... oooooh!

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

My first thought was what it was going to sniff

My first thought was 'how many w*nkers on Linked in have called themselves something along the lines "visionary cloud architectural enabler"' The quality of data for human consumption is god-awful.

That however would not stop a machine. In fact, statistical analysis of w*nking can produce perfect targeting information for selling more w*nking and w*nk assistance goods and services. It is the perfect data source for that - you can target w*nkers with a confidence ratio of 99% by running Bayes stats on their profiles and connections and sell pyramid marketing scams, self-improvement and motivational courseware, etc.

So if Oracle is successful things will sort themselves - Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B will remove itself out of the business population pool by being constantly fleeced.

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Unhappy

LinkedIn has passed it's "use by" date

I have a profile simply so that others in my field (customers, students, cow orkers etc) can find me - the service has never been much use and with the recent acquisition it has gone from barely useful to very annoying.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bring it on

I always relish the opportunity to tell Oracle to go fuck themselves.

7. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Linkedin is rubbish anyway.

Last time I looked it had become another FB clone with meaningless post after meaningless post being re-posts of other meaningless posts.

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"targeted marketing rather than spam."

It's one of those irregular verbs isn't it? I send valuable marketing messages, you send unsolicited bulk commercial email, he spams.

To paraphrase Bernard Woolley.

9. Down not across

You are the product if service is free

Readers are doubtless aware of the maxim that when a service is free, the users are the product. This deal proves it yet again.

Whilst I do agree with the above in principal, I am not sure if it is entirely accurate for this situation. There are (presumably at least) after all some people who fork out real money for for LI Premium (or whatever it is they call the paid for service they keep pushing).

10. De Facto

Didn't MS and Oracle notice that LinkedIn is Abandoned Amusement Park today?

Perhaps LinkedIn was a cool place to be 5-10 years ago. Today most LinkedIn profiles are outdated or just a facade (look what a nice individual I am). The real talent does not waste time on social networks, besides big companies like Google contractually prevent most of their employees to stay on LinkedIn to avoid head-hunters. My experience shows that people go to LinkedIn rarely, when out of job or shopping for a better job. LinkedIn to me starts resembling a used car dealership today: a little polished from outside, yet aging and with narcistic content. Obviously Microsoft discovered this sad reality about LinkedIn database after paying for mostly crap content more than 20 Billions, and now was probably looking how to reduce losses on their balance sheet by selling the same "success story" to other envious for a piece of social pie industry veterans with plenty of cash. Not the first time for Microsoft to fall victim to "abandoned amusement park" business ideas. Remember Nokia?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like