back to article Trump trumps US Digital Service with order to establish American Technology Council

United States president Donald Trump has issued an executive order to establish an “American Technology Council” and given it a job to “coordinate the vision, strategy, and direction for the Federal Government's use of information technology and the delivery of services through information technology”. The United States …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    WTF?

By golly gee willikers...

The Numpty is strong in this one.

2. Ole Juul

vision, strategy, and direction

Sounds good, so why do I keep thinking this is evil?

1. Graybyrd

Re: vision, strategy, and direction

...so why do I keep thinking this is evil?

Probably because the 'new technology direction' will promote trap-door encryption, keyword internet traffic monitoring, 'approved' government protocols, mandatory personal ID registrations, and other "Make America Great Safe Again" safeguards. Oh... and unregulated Open Source developments brought under government oversight for, you know... "standards compliance" purposes.

So, what's to fear about that?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: vision, strategy, and direction

It could be worse, "silly valley" interests violating our privacy and monetizing whatever we do online (and then targeting us with advertisements as a form of big-brother psychological manipulation).

I'm glad to see them "not at the table". but yeah, gummint technology programs like that are kinda laughable anyway. but it makes people in gummint "feel better" about it, I guess...

/me facepalms anyway

3. CentralCoasty
    Black Helicopters

I see it now....

Executive Order coming.....

..... in order to bring America into the new world IPv10 will be designated as the only transport protocol allowed within US borders effective from 1st July 2018......

That will help stop those pesky immigrants getting in on their IPv4 or IPv6 packets!

(Yeah I know, it supports IPv4 & IPv6, but it just sounded to good not to say.......)

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

I've never heard of 18f

Although I've heard of 5f

I've often looked at the D and thought "Yeah, he's a 5f man alright"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've never heard of 18f

D achieving a new level of the measurement?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Trollface

18f - isn't that what a bunch of 45M's always say on IRC? [especially when they're trolling for 13f's or want to see a bunch of 23Ms embarrass themselves for kicks]. Ok don't make me explain "IRC" please...

/me thinks: OH MY DIETIES, there's a GIRL IN THE CHANNEL! half the participants begin crowding around "the girl" and behaving like the lonely, horny young males that they are. '18f' in an IRC channel is like blood in shark infested waters, or yelling "Food Fight" in a college cafeteria.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But around the turn of the century there was someone claiming 13f who gave me their channel number.

Come back Cody Ann.

5. Hollerithevo

...Hire American

In the photo accompanying this story, there's a chap in the background holding as sign that includes the words 'Hire American'. So this Liddell chap from New Zealand... he a US citizen, aka an immigrant? Or is he still a johnny foreigner on US soil?

1. Kiwi
      Trollface

Re: ...Hire American

So this Liddell chap from New Zealand

No no FUCK NO NO FUCKING WAY!

No. He was never a New Zealander. Never visited. Couldn't find the place on a map, even with voice turn-by-turn guidance.

And if he was to visit he'd probably be shown that hostility that Kiwi's are sometimes famous for.

Worked for MS, works for chump. We totally dis-own the bugger.

But good catch on the sign :)

6. Chris 239
    Facepalm

More jobs for friends and family?

I expect to see good old USA rising on the country index - the index of most corrupt countries!

The above slightly tounge in cheek but whatever it sounds like a recipy for money wasting and chaos with different agencies with such overlapping or downright identical remits.

Is it just Trump trying to appear to be doing "stuff" and being recorded and having founded things (even white elephants)?

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Cutting back 'big government' by adding another layer of bureaucracy... And I used to think only Marxists were good at dialectics.

8. handleoclast
    Black Helicopters

I'd not heard of 18f either

Sounds like it might an abbreviation along the lines of i18n.

Since it comes from Trump it's basically f8d* and US citizens are f4d.**

*fuckwitted

**fucked

9. David 45

Waffle

Wow! With buzz-words and tech-speak like that, people might just be fooled into thinking that Trump actually knows what he's talking about. Sadly, I think reality is a little different.

10. tom dial Silver badge

I read the order. It has very little content, assigns no meaningful authority to direct changes, and the ATC members have enough on their schedule to render their participation in it useless. It will deteriorate quickly into periodic presentation of white papers similar to those touted in my daily spam, that nobody will read; and decision papers that summarize and direct what already is being done.

On the other hand, it probably will be relatively cheap because everyone involved already is on the payroll, and it is barely possible that it will divert some of them from other mischief.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like