back to article Sneaky 'fileless' malware flung at Israeli targets via booby-trapped Word docs

A newly uncovered cyber-espionage campaign targeting Israeli organisations relies on "fileless" malware hidden in Microsoft Word documents, a hacker tactic that's becoming a growing menace. The attack was delivered through compromised email accounts at Ben-Gurion University and sent to multiple targets across Israel. Malware …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

resides solely in memory

but does that mean removal is as simple as pulling the plug out of the wall on an infected machine?

1. Mark 110

Re: resides solely in memory

Probably - but lots of kit doesn't get turned off very often. And if you don't know its infected then why would you.

2. Mark 85

I wondered that also... will "reboot early, reboot often" eliminate it?

1. BongoJoe

I wondered that also... will "reboot early, reboot often" eliminate it?

Which explains Microsoft's frequent rebooting during updates: it's security, innit?

3. Stevie

Yes, but you have to spot it before it encrypts your SAN.

2. User McUser

Well, we'll look for the house with no numbers.

So couldn't one just terminate any processes that doesn't correlate to (with?) files on the disk?

1. Charles 9

Re: Well, we'll look for the house with no numbers.

It probably hides itself as a child process of something else running or finds a way to completely conceal itself so it doesn't appear at all.

What I'm wondering is if the next step is to use a memory-only malware to leapfrog past files and go straight to firmware so that it can make itself nuke-resistant if not nuke-proof.

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

Yeah, but a running process is <program that's on disk> + <data that's only ever in working memory>. Spawn a shell, install a program in its data space and your solution won't work.

Other posters above suggested that switching the machine off will deal with it. But what if it's a kind of APT ("advanced persistent threat") that can find other local machines where it can also run in memory, maybe even using different exploits or propagation methods? This can act as a backup in case the first machine is power-cycled, then re-infect it using the original exploit when it comes back up. Just like the ancient "Robin Hood and Friar Tuck" hack, except that there's no persistence if both machines are turned off at once.

Putting on my black hat for the moment, not persisting on disk can be a great way of avoiding detection. It's great for initial stages of an attack because you can use it to passively monitor a target network and use that info to plan for future attacks. Chances are this won't trigger any internal tripwires, and even if the probe is found, it won't reveal very much. From there, you can use a variety of different payloads, each working together stealthily using ideas of "quorum sensing" and "oblivious agents".

Quorum Sensing is an idea from bacteria, where individual bacteria take cues from the environment and begin to change their own secretions. The ultimate expression of QS in bacterial colonies is that they can regulate gene expression, so that they become more efficient at thriving in the environment. Apply that analogy to malware and you get to the idea of individual bits of malware using subliminal channels to announce their presence to each other and coordinate with each other to a degree. A simple example of a subliminal channel in a network might be to interact with a caching proxy (be it a web proxy or memcached database proxy or whatever) somewhere on the intranet. By looking at timing differences in responding to a request, each malware agent can basically pick up environmental cues to detect each other's presence. There are doubtless tons of other ways they can implement subliminal channels over innocuous-looking traffic.

Oblivious Agents are bits of code that have an encrypted payload. They take a set of input parameters (such as environmental cues, as gathered above, but it could also include things like the time or the host IP or whatever) and combine them to form a key. They use that key to do a trial decode on the encrypted payload, and if the decrypted message is valid (eg, by checking that it has a valid checksum), they execute it. They're called "oblivious" agents because they don't know (and don't reveal anything) about what exact set of triggers are needed to run a particular payload. And, of course, a defender can't easily decrypt the payload, either. Neither does it have to have just one payload, nor does all the logic have to be confined to being stored in a single malware agent: a payload could be just sending out a certain environmental trigger that ultimately serves to self-repair the swarm, delete itself, or start enacting some new strategic phase.

All of this is much more suited to a spear-phishing attack against a high-value target. It's still fascinating to think about how you could apply techniques like this against certain businesses, banks, military installations or whatever. If it can lay more or less dormant and inactive over a long enough time, there's no telling what it could do. It could, eg, find some long-term persistence technique (so that it can re-infect at a later time if it's discovered), or use a variety of environmental cues, eg, noticing lots of extra emails being sent or other seeing other signs of activity to guess that a North Korean missile site is about to conduct a nuclear test, or even just have some other internal resource (like git repo, active directory server, SCADA system or whatever) as the real target, and delete the bridgehead system once it's done its job.

Hmm. I think that having that black hat on for too long has affected my brain ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

I think that having that black hat on for too long has affected my brain

Maybe, but I'd just like to say thank you for such an enlightening post.

3. Daggerchild Silver badge

All Microsoft's fault

This malware has only become viable because Windows crashes/requires reboots less often these days. They should accept responsibility and release a patch to fix that!

1. Kiwi
      Trollface

Re: All Microsoft's fault

They should accept responsibility and release a patch to fix that!

I thought all of their patches fixed that!

Or at least required a couple of reboots (and a few hours system downtime "installing updates", not including downtime due to killed network drivers etc)

4. Herby
    Joke

Fileless??

Well there is this file "Word.exe" (or some variant) that DOES contain the virus, so maybe we should delete that!

Maybe the "joke alert" icon is off a bot as well, but I'll leave that decision to the reader.

5. Mahhn

BIOS

I know a couple years ago there was story about the NSA infecting HD BIOS. I expect something will attack the BIOS of my motherboard as it has it's own Linux OS. And I may never know...... I don't think there is an AV out there that scans that.

1. Charles 9

Re: BIOS

There's been talks about infecting persistent EFI storage and USB controller chips (BadUSB, remember?). The idea is to bypass software and go straight to the hardware which is OS-agnostic.

6. Snowy Silver badge

fileless' malware, not

Considering the fileless' malware is in a Microsoft Word document which is a file, how this can be consider fileless malware is beyond me!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: fileless' malware, not

RTFA

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Journalism

"Such fileless attacks are on the rise. Security vendors Carbon Black recently reported a 33 per cent rise"

Please include the absolute numbers. A jump from 3 to 4 is not quite the same as a jump from 3,000 to 3,990.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like