back to article Peace in our time! Symantec says it can end Google cert spat

Symantec is hoping to get its certificates back on Google's trust list. In March, an ongoing spat between the two companies came to a head. After a scandal in 2015 over three certs issued by Symantec subsidiary Thawte, the number grew to 23, then 164, then 2,458 within a month. Google decided in December 2015 to distrust the …

1. cbars Bronze badge

What does it take to be a CA?

Just some crisp notes in the breast pocket, by the look of it...

If they weren't doing domain validation, audits, or anything - how in the name of deity can they be an 'authority' on identity. As expected, a load of shysters

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: What does it take to be a CA?

I don't think it's just Symantec that are shysters. There seems to be general agreement that the whole CA setup is flawed and all we're doing right now is papering over the cracks.

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Flame

No.

I think this should be it for Symantec. They've flouted the rules too often and too long.

I personally don't trust them. In fact, I haven't trusted ANY Symantec product for a good few years now - and even that last holdout was Ghost, and they killed that rather than put the effort in to make it work properly.

Nope. Actions have consequences. Hold the line, Google.

1. Stevie

Re: No.

You understand that this is more of a problem outside the small world of NAV right?

This is a bigger deal for users of Veritas products in the enterprise, the volume manager and cluster management software for example.

1. Richard 26

"This is a bigger deal for users of Veritas products in the enterprise"

Why? They aren't part of Symantec any more.

1. Stevie

The Carlisle deal closed? There's nothing saying so on the website that I can see.

More to he point, the Veritas acquisition news realease lists the "investors" contact point at symantec.com

1. Richard 26

Closed on January 29, 2016 apparently.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veritas_Technologies

Carlyle Group: https://www.carlyle.com/media-room/news-release-archive/carlyle-group-closes-veritas-acquisition

Veritas: https://www.veritas.com/news-releases/2015-12-21-symantec-and-the-carlyle-group-plan-to-close

1. Stevie

I stand corrected then.

3. Mahhn

Peace in our time

So says Ultron.

4. Amos1

If auditors can conduct IT system security assessments...

Shouldn't IT security people be able to perform financial statement audits?

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: If auditors can conduct IT system security assessments...

In my experience, auditors are just simple box ticking monkeys who are easily fooled and mislead. They never seem to actually understand the questions they are asking, let alone be in a position to understand any answer you give, beyond "yes" and "no".

5. J. Cook Silver badge
    Go

The last time one of our vendors tried pitching anything made by symantec to us I laughed hard enough to trigger a coughing fit.

There was also the time where one of the other IT managers was trying to give Comodo a foot in the door. After I stopped laughing, I sent him a nice, long reply that explained why I said 'hell no'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like