back to article UK drops in World Press Freedom Index following surveillance and anti-espionage threats

The UK has dropped two places on the World Press Freedom Index following the passing of the Investigatory Powers Act and threats to pursue journalists reporting on national security. The World Press Freedom Index for 2017 was published today by Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans frontières), the Paris-based …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least we beat America.

(No not really. Just an observation that America is happy so long as there's one country that's worse, in any metric you care to measure.)

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

And then I look at the Daily Heil

And think that maybe press freedom is overrated.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And then I look at the Daily Heil

Surely that's more a symptom of the toothlessness of the press regulator. If all you're forced to do is print a retraction or apology in small print buried at the bottom of page 19 and maybe pay a small fine, there's no incentive in being accurate or truthful.

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Go

This has always bugged me. The simple solution would be that if they spend the front page and half of page 5 defaming someone, and their allegations are proven false, then they should have to print a full front page and half of page 5 saying they were wrong (lied would be more honest), and how they managed to be so wrong.

If every second issue was a front page of them saying we were wrong it would certainly a) mean they started being more careful with what they printed, and b) make people more wary of news sources that were repeat offenders.

This could also be carried over to Television media by recording how much time was spent defaming someone and then having that same amount of time at the same time slot apologising for doing so.

But na, that would be too easy and actually mean some of these "News" sources might actually have to do some journalism rather than just making stuff up... Cant have that now, can we?

2. Lars Silver badge

A toothlessness of the consumer too who pays for the Daily Heil.

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

Trump

"Donald Trump's repeated diatribes against the Fourth Estate and its representatives – accusing them of being 'among the most dishonest human beings on earth' "

Screams projection doesn't it.....

4. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Since when have we ever had a free press?

My daily Telegraph costs me £1.60 per day. Even more at the weekends when there is less news going on!!!!

Seriously however, I'm really not surprised at this and I would state as an almost certainty that investigatory journalism based on "political leadership" and such like will also continue to be impeded or curtailed by the owners of these rags themselves, seeing as most of the slimy fuckers are already in bed with and biased toward the establishment.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Since when have we ever had a free press?

The Metro is free and serves a wide range of household purposes. I've got a paint in and a paint brush poised on one right now. Never read it, mind.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah yes, the last time I visited Londinium, I noticed a strange floor covering on the underground.

On closer inspection it was hundreds of sheets of paper strewn about, bearing this "The Metro" mark.

1. lglethal Silver badge
          Trollface

Trust me, it's a step up from what use to cover the floor of the Underground"! ;)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is predictable

We all know that Egypt, Turkey etc are examples of how this madness will end.

The really sad thing is that journalists are becoming second only to terrorists in some countries, because laws passed by well-meaning people are being misused as a weapon wielded by those who should know better, against freethinkers and other "undesirables".

I for one won't be renewing my passport. I have told my current employer this, and the reasons why.

I will not be affiliated with a regime which as lost all touch with reality, and prefers to substitute security for freedom by eroding the rights of the common man.

It is bad enough that in France, the choices are mere illusion and of course FN will get in because "OMG Terrorists" and rights will be further eroded.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is predictable

Every time Theresa May says she needs a big election majority because the country needs a strong leader - then the alarm bells ring. Erdoğan is only the latest to successfully use this ploy - using the "external enemy" as the FUD.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This is predictable

The movie 'V' was a future documentary showing you how to handle the problem.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"and of course FN will get in because "OMG Terrorists" and rights will be further eroded."

One of the greatest myths a party can generate is the myth of its own invincibility.

If a party formed barely a year ago can lead one that's had decades to prepare for its "moment" in the spotlight I'd say it's not over.

6. Your alien overlord - fear me
    Megaphone

I would post a comment but it might be censored to keep the government appeased.

1. Hollerithevo

So...

...we no longer need to fear you?

7. Justicesays

"laws passed by well-meaning people are being misused"

If you think the people passing those laws are "well-meaning" then I'm afraid things are worse than you think!

Normally, the obvious flaws and ways in which those laws can be abused are brought up well before they are passed.

Those concerns are ignored , or dismissed with something about "guidelines" or "intent".

Subsequently, the law is abused exactly as predicted.

Turns out they don't poll the MP's who voted on it for the "intent" of a law when it's being applied, I mean, it's pretty black and white. If they didn't "intend" it to be used in a certain way they could have put it in the law.

And guidelines are only guidelines after all, I mean, if they were actual rules then the law would have included them , right?

So either voting politicians are somehow surprisingly naive for a profession known for it's infighting, backstabbing and flexible application of both rules and morals. Or they know exactly what they are doing.

8. Bogle

ORG

I'll just leave this here: www.openrightsgroup.org

Get your chequebook out. We don't have time to do much about this, busy people that we are, but we can fund someone who can.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disgusting. The UK should have dropped about 20 or some places.

I'm guessing it did some serious brown nosing to remain around the 40 mark.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Self-cen*___*shi*

Liabl* l*ws, freed*m of sp**ch, fr**dom of the pres*, r*sp*nsible journa****, entr*nch*d establ***ment control of the Press.

I'd worry about people not feeling able to speak out but then I read the Comments section of (anywhere but here) and I think, heavens, which rock did you f**kers crawl out from under?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Self-cen*___*shi*

Yeah, but have you noticed that more and more now, the comments on certain articles are either closed, or not open right away.

Like you I read articles and think who the hell is swallowing this, then I read the comments and its full of beautiful tards giving it both barrels.. fuck yeah!

But looks like tptb can no longer have common sense driving the narrative, and attempt to stop it, like we wouldnt notice!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Is this Fake News?

Sorry I forgotten what real news looks like. uh.. why thank you, yes these blue pills are delicious.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: Is this Fake News?

"plans to target journalists with a punitive new official secrets law"

This bit certainly is fake news. There's no plan to target journalists. They're just all upset that there's no plan to grant them special status.

1. Bernard M. Orwell

Re: Is this Fake News?

"They're just all upset that there's no plan to grant them special status"

Like the special status the MPs creating this diabolical PoS have granted themselves?

12. Vinyl-Junkie
    Unhappy

If you go back to 2009...

...before the Coalition and the Tories we were 20th.

So 20 places in 8 years. If Mayhem and her cronies get re-elected expect to see us competing with the likes of Mauretania and Poland by the time the next election rolls around.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: If you go back to 2009...

My that's a nice pile of blue pills..

Yes, if only Accrington Stanley FC were in charge none of this would of ever happened!

1. Bernard M. Orwell

Accrington Stanley? Who are they?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Devil

The arbitrary colours of truth, justice and everything those other 'evil' guys arent or simply dont agree with, plus devout pushers of Bantha milk.

2. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Joke

Accrington Stanley? Who are they?

I believe their full title is

"Accrington Stanley Nil"

3. dnbattley

Exactly! Nah, gerroff...!

13. handleoclast
    Big Brother

Three rules of legislation

1. If legislation can be abused then sooner or later it will be abused.

Doesn't matter if it's tax law where people spot loopholes and avoid paying tax or snooping legislation (for use against terrorists only) which ends up being deployed against people who put recyclable waste in the wrong wheelie bin. Sooner or later somebody who can gain advantage by exploiting the loophole will spot that said loophole exists.

2. The abuse will most likely occur sooner rather than later.

Pretty obvious, really.

3. The "abuse" was probably intended all along.

"Oh. It appears some of my rich friends spotted a loophole in some legislation I helped draft and now they're making shitloads of money from it. Obviously, that was never my intent." Yeah, right.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Three rules of legislation

Our tax system is deliberately complex and full of loopholes - it's written that way by people who understand taxation so they can offer 'tax streamlining' for those who can pay.

Of course, eventually these loopholes filter down the chain a little to celebretards and your common businessman etc. at which point they are crucified in the press for tax 'avoidance' - meanwhile the slimy fuckers move on to their next set of crafted loopholes.

Am I allowed to hate bankers? Are they a protected race yet?

14. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

I'm sure Gauleite May will feel the UK can do better.

And by better I mean move further down the chart.

Probably already to kick off her "40(th place) by 20(20)" campaign already.*

*Yes that is fake news. So far.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like