back to article IPv6 vulnerable to fragmentation attacks that threaten core internet routers

A trio of 'net experts argues that a key IPv6 protocol needs fixing to get rid of a fragmentation attack vector against routers in large-scale core networks. The vector, called “atomic fragments” has long been regarded with suspicion by IPv6 security wonks. Here, for example, is a Black Hat 2012 presentation illustrating the …

1. Baldrickk

Had to build a custom Linux kernel for a hardened product two years ago. Patching this out was one of the steps taken.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I alone here in thinking that IPv6 seems to show many classic signs of the second-system syndrome?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: .

"Am I alone here in thinking that IPv6 seems to show many classic signs of the second-system syndrome?"

Its certainly got that designed by commitee feel about it. Its hard to understand, way too complex to set up which is why a lot of network admins are reluctant to use it and why even now IP4 still dominates, and the hex addresses are almost impossible for a normal user to use when DNS has failed. And what numpty thought having 2 addresses per adaptor was a good idea? Wtf is the point of the link local address? If there's no DHCP just hard code an address as per IP4 , if there is then link local isn't needed. Extra complexity for no reason.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If there's no DHCP just hard code an address as per IP4". If you're talking about 169.254.0.0/16, then that IS link-local! Well, IPv4's version of it any ways.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

IP4 doesn't have a LAN address and a WAN address at the same time. An adaptor (unless its a multi port model) has one IP4 address.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: 'second-system syndrome'

Yes IPv6 does suffer from this. Remember around the time IPv6 was at it's formative stage there was much earnest discussion about using IP directly over the physical media and thus replacing IEEE 802. Notice the turf war, IETF were choosing to pick fights both ISO OSI and IEEE 802...

1. Yes Me Silver badge

@Roland: "much earnest discussion about using IP directly over the physical media and thus replacing IEEE 802"

Not that I remember, at least not in the proposals that actually became IPv6. On the contrary, the layer 2/layer 3 separation was considered very fundamental. MPLS came later, but not to eliminate layer 2, rather to fix the mess created by ATM. TRILL came much later.

It's true that the IETF chose not to use the OSI datagram protocol (CLNP) but there was very little dispute about the layered model, which the OSI people got from TCP/IP (and CYCLADES) in the first place.

3. Yes Me Silver badge

Extra complexity for good reasons

IPv4 was designed for a small research network; actually it's a miracle it's been stretched to several billion nodes (and all credit to the designers, of course).

IPv6 was designed for *many* billion nodes - it wasn't called IoT then but we knew it was coming. It was also designed for self-configuring small stand-alone networks (the model was Applenet) - hence stateless address autoconfiguration, and link-local addresses for when there is no router and no Internet connection. And by the way, you aren't limited to 2 addresses per interface - you could for example have link-local (for bootstrapping), ULA (unique local address) for intranet use, and a couple of globally reachable addresses from different ISPs. Yes, it's more complicated - because the world is a lot more complicated (thanks to Moore's law) than it was in 1977 when the basics of IPv4 were laid down. Your grandchildren will be grateful.

3. Eugene Crosser

Clarification

The article goes to some length to explain what are atomic fragments, but does not emphasize enough the DoS mechanism in play here. Specifically, according to the RFC, the practice of blindly dropping IPv6 packets with extension headers is so widespread, that if an attacker ticks the victim into producing such packets, it will have disruptive effect.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Clarification

Sounds like the issue then isn't really atomic fragments, it's badly designed filters enabled by default.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

What ?

But I was told that IPv6 was the must-have, Internet-will-die-otherwise option for the 3rd millennium. How can this happen ?

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: How can this happen ?

It can happen because the people who designed IPv6 fragmentation are human beings and let this one slip by.

> Internet-will-die-otherwise

People overstate things sometimes. An Internet without packet translation will work better than one with packet translation. And (as I noted a minute ago) IPv6 is designed for situations where IPv4 does badly: stand-alone networks, IoT, and tens of millions of multihomed enterprises.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Considered Harmful

is not code for anything. It's a computing meme started by Dijkstra.

1. Richard 26

Re: Considered Harmful

Niklaus Wirth, actually. That's editors for you ;)

6. AlgoRythm

So..where is SirChurchy lately...

Shocked! Shocked I am that the ipv6 extended headers might theoretically not have been checked in any reasonable way on the wire. Calling Sir Churchy, self declared expert on all things networking and IPv6 specifically..have you discovered a good fuzzing util for enumerating extended header flaws yet. Seems like NIST is still fumbling with that rather publically:

https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2016-10142

So how is it that you can categorically dismiss all who believe that where IPv6 is concerned, both in its creation and timing, something smells...off.

Be thee a GCHQ shill, or be thee a sales weasel? Inquiring minds want to know

-Al

7. Christian Berger

I thought they were dropping fragmentation with IPv6

I mean there's verry little use for fragmentation. It's actually something people disable in IPv4 already as, even there, it's more pain than gain.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like