back to article Microsoft's new hardware: eight x86 cores, 40 GPU cores

Microsoft's revealed the specs for some forthcoming hardware and the tale of the tape is impressive. At the heart of the device will be a system-on-chip packing eight custom x86 CPU cores clocking up to 2.3GHz apiece, plus 40 (yes forty) GPU cores at 1172MHz apiece for a total of over six teraflops of graphics-crunching …

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Project Scorpio?

Might I suggest free hammocks for all users?

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: Project Scorpio?

Yeah, but where can you buy hammocks?

1. User McUser

Re: Yeah, but where can you buy hammocks?

Well, there's the Hammock Hut, that's on third. There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There? That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot...

Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on third. [3F23]

1. LionelHutz

Re: Yeah, but where can you buy hammocks?

Oh, the hammock district!

2. James 51

Speed read that as 'Might I suggest free hemlock for all users?'

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Free banana hammocks?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The bite comes when you see the rumoured price $700 (which means £700, or more likely in post brexit Britain £800).. according to IDC who regularly get these sort of things right.

"I estimate the basic hardware will cost around $650, so if Microsoft wants any kind of margin at all, Scorpio will have to retail for $700 or more. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/04/07/analysts-microsofts-xbox-scorpio-could-cost-more-than-700/#1f0083be1aeb

It will sink quicker than boaty mc boatface.

Give a PS4 Pro will do pretty much the same, and by then likely 1/3rd of the price, Microsoft have yet again for it badly wrong...

1. CheesyTheClown

$700 is excluding VAT. With VAT at 17%, that should be £819. Then consider the "you're in Europe tax" which Apple is the worst about but Microsoft tries to suck at too. I'd guess £850-900.

1. TheVogon

Apparently the price is going to be more like £399 or £349.

Is that's true then it should wipe the floor with Sony...

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/795193/Xbox-Scorpio-Price-specs-games-Project-Scorpio-release-news

2. TheVogon

"Give a PS4 Pro will do pretty much the same, and by then likely 1/3rd of the price"

Well it really won't

For starters this runs a version of Windows and Direct X 12 which as we know from the PC world will outperform the Linux based PS4 software given the same hardware.

Secondly it's got circa 50% more GPU compute power and 50% more memory bandwidth than the PS4 Pro - and a more powerful CPU.

Thirdly it's media player is not Cinavia infected.

And fourthly and maybe most importantly - it supports the latest Blu-ray disk spec - and likely will be the cheapest such player on the market for quite a while...

1. MJI Silver badge

PS4 runs on a variant of BSD not Linux

Standard PC graphics ;ibraries are also not best for graphics quality.

DX12 best, doubt it.

Getting closer to the "Metal" is always best for performance.

I reckon SCORIO will be about 10$ to 20% more powerful hardware wise, but never bet against Sony ICE team and Guerilla*

* yes they did have a PS3 multiplayer which looked better than the first this generation COD

Sorry for any bad spelling as I can't quite see my monitor clearly due to presbyopia and y moniror glasses are at work

1. MJI Silver badge

Worse spelling than I thought!

Missing key strokes mainly and a shift 4 rather than 5

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Anything done in Microsoft proprietary DX12 can also be done in (and is done in) OpenGL and OpenCL. PS4 runs BSD such is a more streamlined is than Bloaty Mc Bloatface windows 10 that Xbox uses.

Hardware specs are mostly meaningless when you don't have a game lineup in place (or an established user base). Given the PS4 now has about 3x more users than Xbox One, developers focus on PlayStation, consumers buy what their friends have. You can change this with an over priced, over spec console.

Lastly, most importantly, nobody cares about disc based formats anymore. Microsoft wasting money on this shows they really don't understand the market at all. Digital Delivery is king for music, movies and getting there for games.

Most people understand games sell consoles, not specs, you can you the most powerful console, but if all the great games are on PS4 and all your mates have PS4 and developers focus on PS4,. All you have done is blown a wad of cash that would have bought slot of great PS4 games

5. TheVogon

"Holiday 2017"

I am reliably informed that's a colonial phrase meaning "Christmas 2017".

1. Paul Westerman
        Unhappy

Aw - I was expecting Judith Chalmers

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heck

I just got finished cannibalising and fixing my original XBOX.

Might think about an upgrade....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4K? Meh

If VGA were good enough for me when I were a lass, it's bloody well good enough for t'next generation -erm.. t'next generation's daughters t'work wi'. (Ponders) Bloody 'ell, I bin at this game too long...(pulls on coat, grabs LART, pulls wooly hat down to ears, wanders off in search of a flock of cats requiring a servant...)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: 4K? Meh

VGA? Luxury! When I was a lad we had CGA, and were grateful for it! If four garish colours were good enough for us, it's good enough for them!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Pint

Colours! Pah!

When I were a nipper we only had black screens made of slate, the only way to get an image was to scratch it on with a bit of pointed stone.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Luxury!

When I were a kid all we 'ad was a 'ole in the ground called 'ercules...

2. CheesyTheClown

I had the orange... I was told it was called Amber. And it was supposed to be better than green but Eddie Murphy told me that his grandmother suckered him worse with burgers that were better than McDonalds.

What sucks is that simcga almost never worked for me. But to be fair, Sierra was generally good about supporting HGC.

2. darklord

4 Colour CGA, Blimey that was posh, When I started we had three colours, Green on black or Amber on Black or White on Black. Or vice versa but not at the same time. Them are the sort of things that gets people killed! bit like travelling at 30mph in 1829 on a train :-0

4. as2003

> 40 (yes forty) GPU cores

How does that compare to an Nvidia graphics card that has thousands of 'CUDA' cores?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How does that compare to an Nvidia graphics card that has thousands of 'CUDA' cores?

If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use?... Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens?

"core" means a very different thing to the AMD and Nvidia crowds. Comparing core counts between radically different architectures is a largerly pointless exercise anyway. It is best to look at how the system performs on real-life applications or, failing that, on not too blatantly biased synthetic benchmarks. Looking at the peak numbers (which the article gives) could also be useful in a pinch ...

1. MJI Silver badge

"If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use?... Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens?"

A tractor

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

1024 chickens. Then I could sell them and buy a tractor.

1. d3vy

Sorry to be pedantic but...

Retail cost of a chicken : £3.50 (Source)

Gross profit (Assuming no expenses and some tax evasion) : £3584

Cost of a tractor : £44k (Source)

I think you're going to need some bigger chickens.

1. Justin Clift

Re: Sorry to be pedantic but...

> I think you're going to need some bigger chickens.

Tractors can be hired out you know. ;D

1. d3vy

"Tractors can be hired out you know"

I am well aware - I used to write software to automate plant hire for a highways contractor...

As long as you can get the job done in less than 14 days I guess you could rend one (Didnt have the exact model I quoted prices for before but this is close : Source

But thats not what the original comment said, it said "I could sell them and buy a tractor.

My point is - no you can't. ;)

2. MrT

... chickens the size of oxen might be useful, if a tad unruly...

3. 404

Doesn't have to be new and then you avoid all those DRM issues with newer models...

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/search/hva?query=tractor&sort=rel

1. d3vy

If I was in the market for a second hand tractor craigslist would be the last place I would look for one... I'd expect the chickens to do a more reliable job than anything sourced from there!

2. adnim

RX 480

has 36 compute cores. The 40 Compute Units/Cores in this GPU add up to 2560 shader processors.

The Xbox one has 16 Compute Units/Cores a mere 768 shader processors.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: RX 480

The SCORPIO fixes the XBONE technical weaknesses.

5. bolac

Multiprocessing

PS3 had eight cores ten years ago. Is Microsoft still unable to write multi-threaded software, or why are they limiting themselves to the same number of CPUs that my cheap China phone had three years ago?

1. Ragarath

Re: Multiprocessing

I think you'll find they are using the right cores for the job. General processing cores are not needed a massive amount in a gaming box that is mostly about crunching graphics. Hence you'll find the box has lots of graphics competent cores.

2. Drefsab_UK

Because more CPU cores does not mean more overall system performance.

To game at 60 FPS at 4k you need GPU power and thats something the xbox one lacked and MS are trying to address. Adding more CPU cores does not give them a major performance increase as most xbox games are not utilising even the 8 cores of the XBONE fully.

Sure your cheap china phone may have a whole lot of cores, thats great but if half of those cores are doing nothing because they are waiting on the GPU or the IO then what are they good for?.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The PS3 was a strange beast, using Cell CPUs, which IBM and Toshiba had a view to using for other applications. The Cell cores were designed to scale from the get go, hence the interest in using farms of PS3s for making supercomputers.

Game developers though found it a bit tricky to use it to its full potential.

As a result, the PS4 (and XBOX One) are x86 based, both with AMD graphics.

You can't compare x86 cores with Cell cores or nVidia cores. Nor can you compare to mobile chips with many cores - the idea there is to use a big core for intensive applications and a little core for when the phone is idling... the aim is to save battery power, not to use all cores at once.

1. James 51

A bigger problem than the unusual choice for CPU was the bandwidth choke which meant it was hard to move large amounts of data around.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
            Joke

Multiple cores in either CPU or GPU are only truly effective if they can be used efficiently.

Middle-management in other words.

2. MJI Silver badge

One good thing about the PS3 was the fast connection between CPU and GPU, it enabled the fast but low throughput GPU to use a few CPU SPUs to do calculations.

Hard to code for, but when done properly by the likes of Naughty Dog or Guerilla the results were astounding.

The 360 was a lot easier to code for but ultimately a bit less powerful.

2. ChrisC Silver badge

"what are they good for?"

Cores, what are they good for, absolutely nothing...

...unless you're running a whole bunch of different things that can make use of all the available thread processing power at hand ;-)

3. MJI Silver badge

1 main CPU core

6 SPU cores

7 cores basically, but most of them got used as surrogate GPUs.

And console CPUs are a little bit different to telephone CPUs.

last gen though was fascinating.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Microsoft's new hardware

'Sadly this is not a new Surface Studio or cloud server: it's the next XBOX, aka “Project Scorpio”.'

Can I put Linux on the Microsoft hardware?

1. d3vy

Re: Microsoft's new hardware

"Can I put Linux on the Microsoft hardware?"

On the surface book - yes.

I'd imagine it would be possible on the studio - but dont own one and cant find anyone online that has done it... But I'd imagine that it would be possible as it is on the Book and tablets.

On the console - probably not. But then youve not been able to do that on anyones consoles for quote some time (You could on the original XB if I remember rightly)

7. MartinB105

Now all it needs is some games ...

... that aren't also coming out on PC.

Seriously, all the best games right now are on Sony's console. All the hardware in the world isn't going to help Microsoft if they don't put some good exclusive games on it to compete with the PS4.

1. Charles 9

Re: Now all it needs is some games ...

PC games don't really hurt Microsoft's cause since they're almost universally for Windows.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Games on Steam tend to be cheaper than for XBOX, and I imagine MS take a bigger cut of XBOX software sales, too. Don't forget MS's subscription fees for XBOX live, too.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I'm enjoying the VR on the PS4, and it was a lot more cost effective than buying expensive PC upgrades and a lot more timely than waiting for Scorpio :)

The tracking, however, needs a bit of work.

2. TheVogon

Xbox live is way ahead of Sony's PSN though for online play and matchmaking...

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Martin is correct - this generation of consoles sees Sony with most of the exclusives. There isn't a great case for owning an XBOX one and a gaming PC, but there's a good case for having a PlayStation and a PC if you're a keen gamer - and enjoy the genres of games each platform excellent at.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But can it play Crysis?

1. Charles 9

If a new Crysis title were to come out, odds are pretty good. Availability is the obstacle now, not horsepower if we can go by such measures as the latest Forza.

1. VinceH
        Facepalm

@Charles9

Are you new here?

1. Charles 9

Not at all. I'm just going strictly from a technical point of view. Heck, I pose the question myself at times...but in all seriousness because it provides a benchmark for real-world performance. Let's just say I'll be impressed when an ARM-based system can run the original Crysis with at least 30fps performance. For a system like the Scorpio, at least Crysis 3 is the benchmark. If there ever was a Crysis 4, I would certainly be curious as to Scorpio's ability to handle it.

No joke.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

1. yoganmahew

Re: I'll buy it

Because Sony have such good form in the privacy arena?

Seriously, they're all at it :(

1. Baldrickk

Custom "Steam Machine" time then (actually, just Linux running Steam, but that's _more_ useful)

1. Charles 9

"Custom "Steam Machine" time then (actually, just Linux running Steam, but that's _more_ useful)"

You know you'll be missing more than half the Steam library by using Linux, including most of the new games and headliners like Fallout 4. And outside Steam, games like Overwatch and Mass Effect: Andromeda won't work on Linux.

1. Baldrickk

Linux support for games - mostly ports, admittedly, rather than developed for - is increasing.

Most slightly older games run fine under WINE - a few even run better on certain hardware, not quite sure why.

All in all, my gaming library is mostly playable on Linux.

Overwatch can definitely be played on Linux with WINE

1. Charles 9

Really? (1) How come there are only Garbage reports on WINE's compatibility list? (2) What about Battle.net's threat to ban WINE users which dates back to WoW?

2. VinceH

"Otherwise PS4"

Nope. I'll stick with my PS3, thanks.

1. TRT Silver badge

I like my PS2. The one with the HDD and UNIX mod.

1. 's water music
          Coat

I like my PS2. The one with the HDD and UNIX mod

MCA FTW

2. MJI Silver badge

Well stuff that

I am only missing the PS1.

Got 2, 3 and 4

And prefer Vita games to telephone games

1. Charles 9

Don't bother. PC tech is to the point it can easily emulate a PS1. Even the PS2 is within reach most of the time.

1. MJI Silver badge

But better than emulating a PS1 is that I can download and play a lot of them on the 3.

Oh and you can play Crash Bandicoot on a PS4 as well, complete with commentry from Nathan Drake himself.

1. Charles 9

But when the library moves on, you'll probably have to download it again and again, paying up each time, unless Sony provides some assurance against this in writing (Valve has such for Steam's lineup)

2. LewisRage

I've got an Raspberry pi 3 that's running a PS1 emulator.

1. d3vy

I've got an Raspberry pi 3 that's running a PS1 emulator.

Interesting. Ive got a pi3 running retro pi for SNES and NES games - Dont know if it does PS as well... are you using retro pi or something else?

I also have a stack of old machines just because theres something about having the original hardware... blowing on a catrridge etc that adds to the whole experience. Last week I picked up an original play station for £10 with controls and a few games, got a PS2 (Slim) a few weeks before for £30 but with about 50 games... Just need a 3 and 4 now then I can start buying up all of the old Sega machines!

1. Charles 9

If a Wii has enough oomph to do it, a Pi3 should cut it just fine.

10. RyokuMas
    Stop

Better graphics!

... does nothing to fix "shite gameplay" or "tired old franchise".

11. James 51

A wireless VR headset to go with it would be nice.

1. EddieD

The hololens is self contained - it doesn't require any form of machine

2. TheVogon

"A wireless VR headset to go with it would be nice."

I'm sure Microsoft will either produce their own (They have plenty of tech from HoloLens) - and / or allow use of PC compatible hardware.

If Microsoft produced an augmented reality version that could also be blacked out for full VR then that would put them ahead of the competition... Something like a HoloLens Lite - with the graphics computing done in the Xbox, and just the display broadcast to it... As you say - if it was wireless that would also be a big win.

12. Korev Silver badge
    Boffin

HPC workloads?

The spec is similar to a GPU server node from a couple of years ago. For workloads where you need a lot of GPUs in parallel these might work rather nicely.

13. MJI Silver badge
    Pint

Interesting

Same ram as PS4 (GDDR5) but more, slightly more compute cores than PS4PRO, running slightly quicker, slightly better CPU than PS4PRO. A number of small improvements which will all add up.

Appears to be similar improvement over PS4PRO as PS4 is over XBONE.

If it is not too much money it would be worth getting if you have a suitable TV, and you like the games.

Now the crunch, where are all the games for it? Is it worth the extra money over a PS4PRO? Will people upgrade from XBONE or S? Will PS4PRO owners double up? Would a TV owner going from HD to UHD get one?

And one more thing, Sony have 2 studios who can wring the last drop put of any console, would a SCORPIO game look better than Horizon : Zero Dawn on PS4PRO.

Now if I was in the market for a new console (my PS4 stays put) I would go S before SCORPIO, due to price as it would be an exclusive only box. If I had a new UHD TV I would go PS4PRO for the games over SCORPIO.

I hope it does well as we need a strong market to keep everyone honest.

Anyway good luck MS with the SCORPIO, it will keep the market active, but you have rather a large lack of Thunderjaws.

1. TheVogon

Re: Interesting

"Same ram as PS4 (GDDR5) but more, slightly more compute cores than PS4PRO, running slightly quicker, slightly better CPU than PS4PRO. A number of small improvements which will all add up.

Appears to be similar improvement over PS4PRO as PS4 is over XBONE."

It's not the same RAM - it's got roughly 50% greater bandwidth. Plus about 50% more GPU power.

WIth the Xbox One versus the PS4 the visible differences in games were relatively minor. I think it's going to be a more noticeable gap this time when comparing 4K HDR games....

I'm sure Sony will be working on the PS5, but it takes circa 3 years to get a console and silicon to market - by which time we will probably have a Scorpio VR Pro, etc...

I think Microsoft might have done enough to take the world wide console sales lead this time.

14. ph0b0s
    Facepalm

Microsoft cheque in the post?

Wow, for a cynical snarky website, I have never seen such a shill article. The whole thing is written like the next xbox is such an amazing hardware and performance marvel.

Wow, an 8 core CPU. Well the same 8 cores as was in the original Xbox, i.e AMD jaguar cores that were designed for the tablet market, sure probably shrunk and upclocked, but still. Oh the power... If you actually read the sourced article, they are so powerful Microsoft have had to do some funnies to take off them lots of DX12 processing so they don't slow things down too much, using the 'command processor' on the GPU.

The GPU will be good as it will be some form of the AMD Vega chipset. So this will no doubt be the most powerful console out there, due to being the most recent with the latest hardware for the price point. But let's put things into perspective more than this article does. This device will be great for chucking around graphics, but if this hardware was meant for the new surface or a cloud server, it would be hideously under powered for what those are used for. Cool your fanboi jets there....

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Microsoft cheque in the post?

> Wow, for a cynical snarky website, I have never seen such a shill article. The whole thing is written like the next xbox is such an amazing hardware and performance marvel.

The power of the machine isn't up for debate, nor it is subjective - it isn't shilling to state the facts. The article did not offer any opinion on the end user experience, which is more subjective and thus would be more open to accusations of shilling.

Raw power doesn't in itself make for a great gaming experience, and it won't sway the purchasing decisions of gamers that much - they care about what games are available, which of their mates use which system for online play, their subjective preference for either a PS4 or XBOX controller, etc. Whilst they do care too about the pretty graphics - Sony's latest offering is no slouch, either.

1. MJI Silver badge

Raw power helps.

Better draw distances, better animations, more NPCs, more detailed characters.

It can allow more engrossing stories, more games which provide that wow feeling.

After spending the last month hunting robotic animals, being able to stop and sightsee really adds to the experience.

2. ph0b0s
        FAIL

@Dave 126

"Microsoft's new hardware: eight x86 cores, 40 GPU cores

Damn. It's the next XBOX, not a Surface and it's going to 4k things up nicely"

"Sadly this is not a new Surface Studio or cloud server: it's the next XBOX, aka “Project Scorpio”.

I disagree, as above, the piece was definitely pushing the idea that the specs of this console are so good they could be confused for the next Surface or a server. No context was given that this is actually comparing apples with oranges when comparing against other platforms. That is not stating facts but being somewhat misleading. Hence my assertion that this came across as a puff piece that feeds perfectly into Microsoft's marketing push for this new console. And I would expect only from a lesser website concerned with keeping Microsoft on side.

User experience / how games will be on the platform was not mentioned in the article and not mentioned by me, so that part of your response is irrelevant.

So again to summarize as people seem to have difficulty understanding my point, probably assuming I am some sort of PS4 fanboi or something. This is going to be the most powerful console when it launches. I have no idea how this will translate into it being a great gaming platform. But trying to make out the hardware specs puts the device on the same performance level as an up coming surface or server platform is market BS and having an article written in such a way on the elreg is very disappointing.

15. King Jack
    Big Brother

How many cores are dedicated to spying?? Would not touch it with yours.

16. Reg Sim

"Then go look up the price of 4K monitors" - Who is thinking you will buy a monitor for this?, it will be on your 50"+ 4K TV that your parents got last year... which they now discover was an LG and has no HDMI 2.0 ports, or for most first gen 4k TV's, its got one 4k capable port which your using for your Sky/Virgin box.

Some newer gen TV's with multiple HDMI 2.0+ ports and Freesync are gona be awsome. The question I am wondering about is more to do with what are Sony cooking up, as waiting an extra 4-6 months can make a huge difference in performance and you might see the next gen PS5? using 10nm SOC. I believe AMD was quoted some ware that they can customise a chip in around 3-6 months at vastly lower cost vs over a year in older hardware thanks to Zen being fully modular, even modular between there x86 and Risk cpu's and GPU's. (they have nice fabric).

[I also note AMD are already talking 8k for future graphics products... wait up.... please wait, my wallet can't keep up...]

1. Charles 9

Even if you have just one 4K HDMI port, you can always use a switch. Plus Xbox Ones can do HDMI passthrough. Will the Scorpio be able to do 4K HDMI passthrough, meaning it can go between the Sky box and the TV? Don't know yet.

1. Down not across

XBONE HDMI Passthrough

Xbox Ones can do HDMI passthrough. Will the Scorpio be able to do 4K HDMI passthrough, meaning it can go between the Sky box and the TV?

Annoyingly XBONE's HDMI passthrough only works if the console is on. What bright eejit came up with that stupidity?

I certainly hope they fix that annoyance on Scorpio (if it will have HDMI passthrough).

2. d3vy

Even if you have just one 4K HDMI port, you can always use a switch. Plus Xbox Ones can do HDMI passthrough. Will the Scorpio be able to do 4K HDMI passthrough, meaning it can go between the Sky box and the TV? Don't know yet.

That passthrough requires the xbox to be on though... which is a massive pain in the arse.

1. Charles 9

"That passthrough requires the xbox to be on though... which is a massive pain in the arse."

But necessary due to HDCP, meaning any kind of bridge device must be active to work. I believe those Google TV boxes had the same issue. But as for the power use, has anyone actually checked the One's power usage when it's just idling? I know from experience that electrical usage in PCs can vary significantly between humdrum desktop use and full-on gaming, rendering, or encoding jobs.

2. OrientalHero

Hmmm, maybe LG only reserved the HDMI ports for the higher end TVs. The OLED55E6V does have 4 x 2.0a HDMI ports (http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-OLED55E6V).

3. hi_robb

HDMI

Some good points on HDMI,

A lot of err cheaper early build 4k tellies only have one if you're lucky and to do 4k HDR, the Scorpio buyers are going to need one. However, most modern 4K tellies have at least a couple of ports. Obviously the better ones have many more. My Sony X93 has erm 4 I think - all 4K HDR compatible.

Even those with 2 may struggle if they already have Sky Q and a PS4 Pro using them up already. Scorpio does have a HDMI in and if it's compliant that could be an option, but it's not exactly green. The Xbox One needs the console switched on for it to be used so up goes the leccy bill.

D

17. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

This "or" That ?

If you're the sort of person that is going to be purchasing dozens and dozens of $50-$75 games over the next console generational lifecycle, then you can certainly afford to buy one-each of both consoles.

A valid argument against this -^ would be the monthly fees for online gaming.

1. d3vy

Re: This "or" That ?

"A valid argument against this -^ would be the monthly fees for online gaming."

I'd imagine that the one xbox live sub would cover both the XBOX ONE and Scorpio. The one sub currently covers xb360 and XB1... so I cant imagine that it will need an extra subscription.

1. MJI Silver badge

But it would not cover PS and XBOX

Then you do need 2 subscriptions

Quite possible that console 2 would be off line.

1. Charles 9

Well, them's the breaks. If you wanna play WoW, you gotta pay up, and that's just for that one game.

As for Xbox Live, it covers all Microsoft gaming products still in operation. It even provided benefits to Windows Live before the system was deprecated. So it will cover the Scorpio.

2. d3vy

"But it would not cover PS and XBOX

Then you do need 2 subscriptions"

No different from now - I fail to see the argument.

18. d3vy

I hope that this drives down the price of 4k monitors... I currently have two 28" 4k monitors on my desk at the moment and want another 2 but having spent almost a grand on the first two I need to wait until the prices come down a bit.

19. LeahroyNake

Steam

When you can pick up Borderlands and the DLC for less than £10 it makes consoles an expensive option. 68% completion on achievements so a bit of life left in it for me. Only got 100% on half life 2 and SpaceChem... the other 70 titles have to wait their turn :)

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Steam

But many great games missing.

This week I have played 3 games

Horizon Zero Dawn, console only

Destiny, console only

Uncharted 4. consoel only

Yes I took down a robot dinosaur* with a compound bow and arrows

Yes I ran around slaughtering aliens.

Yes I robbed an auction (hard play through)

And yes I own Borderlands 1, 2, Presequel

* Most are mammal equivalents, only the Thunderjaw is a robot dinosaur.

1. Charles 9

Re: Steam

Goes both ways. You can't play WoW on a console, or any of the Civilization games, or the Witcher series. And Overwatch separates by platform so PS4 players can't challenge PC players.

20. Chemical Bob

I think I could heat my house with that hardware.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like