back to article Amazon looks between the couch cushions for US$70m for kids' in-app spending spree refunds

Amazon is going to refund as much as US$70m of in-app charges racked up by American children, after reaching agreement with US trade watchdog the FTC. The regulator sued the web souk in 2014. At the time, it cited internal emails discussing the e-tailer’s inability to control in-app purchases as a “near house on fire,” and …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

$70 million - that's just Jeremy Clarkson's steak bill for GT. A mere triffle

1. Jay 2

Yes I did wonder how much the first episode of The Grand Tour cost!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple solution

Just make the kids pay it off in installments for the rest of their lives.

Methinks they'd think twice about giving their children shiny e-shop enabled tech to play with.

3. J.Smith

Given their labour practices, I think they'd consider docking the money from their employees' pay.

4. Tim Seventh

The real problem

"X also allowed children to run up unlimited charges without their parents’ knowledge or permission."

Any companies doing the refund are just being 'nice'. You can't fix incompetent parents with their none existing parenting.

When the parents gave their phone to the kid or left the phone somewhere the kid can take, that's already a flag that there is bad parenting. What they should be doing is.

1. Shouldn't give kid(s) the phone at all

2. Shouldn't give kid(s) a smartphone until X age

3. Shouldn't give kid(s) a smartphone until they know about internet

4. Shouldn't leave phone unsecured anywhere

5. Shouldn't tie credit card in unsecured phone

6. Should have a password to unlock the phone

7. Shouldn't be ignoring your kid(s)

8. Should be providing interaction to the kid(s)

9. Should be providing support to the kid(s)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The real problem

Dear Mr B. Enefit-o-f-Hindsight.

Sadly, the world is a different place now. Children are regarded as fashion accessories in a lot of case and these electronic parental overlords do make wonderful dummies (pacifiers for our cousins across the pond) .

Heaven forbid that the parents should actually invest some time with their offspring.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

10. Shouldn't tie a credit card to any phone ever

11. Shouldn't allow non-libre apps to be installed

12. Shouldn't marry technology illiterate partner

3. phuzz Silver badge

Is there anything else except a screen which can have the same pacifying influence on a screaming kid?

I'm not a parent, but I've seen plenty of my friends deal with a toddler having a complete meltdown in public by handing them a phone playing (eg) peppa pig. The kid usually goes from top volume screaming to quiet within seconds, and I can't think of anything else that could have that effect apart from violence or drugs.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

As an experienced parent allow me to recommend violence and drugs. If you are too squeamish just stand well away, look at your screaming offspring and tut loudly once or twice. This works better if you have trained them to run up to a random stranger and shout "Daddy" (or Mummy).

4. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

@ Tim, nice bit of patronising there.

My kids have tablets and have occasional access to my phone, yet magically have NEVER run up debts. So I'm your BAD parent...

1. Shouldn't give kid(s) the phone at all - Who said they were using phones?

2. Shouldn't give kid(s) a smartphone until X age. What is age X? My 8 year old is way more tech savy than my 70 year old mother.

3. Shouldn't give kid(s) a smartphone until they know about internet. My kids know all about "internet" and safety. It gets taught at school Catch up. (I also have taught them)

4. Shouldn't leave phone unsecured anywhere. Trust me kids, are very adept at learning your PIN....

Ahh I can't be arsed with the rest.

And I may be wrong, but the issue was it's tied into the Amazon account, so very often you don't even have need the credit card stored on the device.

Oh BTW, last time I looked, most internet fraud victims were adults. My kids probably can spot a scam email faster than most so called grown ups.

As for interacting and supporting their kids. If you are watching them 24/7/365, then you need to back off. Nothing worse then a BAD parent that is overbearing and doesn't trust their kids.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any Amazon device lets you create profiles. If you let the kids use the kids profile it locks down to only allowing apps you choose. It also blocks any attempts at in-app purchases. Easy.

It's so will known that free apps have in-app spending I think it's time Amazon etc challenged these complainers in court or leave it to the actual apps concerned to see if they want to allow any refunds.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like