back to article Is Jassy just jazzing on AWS database migration numbers? Smells fishy...

Amazon Web Services chief Andy Jassy doesn't often tweet, but when he does it's usually to applaud the popularity of AWS's database migration service. On New Year's Eve Jassy bragged that the service had captured more than 16,000 databases from its rivals since launch on 15 March, 2016. According to him, earlier this month, …

1. nilfs2
    Boffin

All vendors will try to lock you in

I have yet to find one who doesn't, the thing is that you can avoid lock in on AWS by using a database EC2 instance instead of using RDS, that way it behaves just like any server or vm on-premise, no difference.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: All vendors will try to lock you in

With RDS there's negligible lock-in and the operational benefits over running on ec2 are huge (monitoring, point-in-time restore, read replicas and auto failover). In my view it's a no-brainer unless you need a feature not in RDS or have a large fleet of non-RDS instances and want consistency.

Stuff like Kinesis Analytics and Lambda would be a right pain to migrate away from, but I think it's still usually worth it because the pain is mostly stuff you'd have had to do anyway if you didn't use the AWS product.

2. OnlyMee

Larry warning on vendor lock-ins!! HAHAHA!

There are some merits for lock-in statement especially when end customer has minimal depth in its own engineering department and trusts most work to be done by 3th party ISVs.

What I have witnessed from cloud partners for every vendor are poorly documented deployments with high levels of clouds own internal API integration on the automation side. This does not mean that you cannot migrate but it will probably mean it will cost you. I think they mention RedShift on purpose as that is one of the hardest migrate from targets in AWS. RedShift, after all, is proprietary to AWS and missing any clear 1to1 featured product on the market. Similar story with DynomoDB, but that you can easily drop to MongoDB.

But Larry Ellison throwing FUD on price raises and vendor lock-in!!! I mean Larry of all the people. If Larry feels there is need to trough this type of statements, clearly OracleDB customers are actually leaking to other vendors.

Larry if you reading this remember your core business is basically squeezing every last penny from your existing clients by fearing them with impossible migration (which is actually pretty easy at least to -> MSSQL or PostgSQL) and by suing them after they break incomprehensible license agreements you changed after the contract was signed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like