back to article EE scrap connection fee... to hike broadband and telly packages

Mobile operator EE has confirmed it will be hiking the prices of new customer contracts on its broadband and TV packages. A spokeswoman said the "small change to the price" to its broadband and EETV packages reflect an investment in content. She said: "This will not affect the price that existing customers pay for their …

1. djstardust

They're all getting away with it

And no-one knows when it will stop.

Three price increases in 20 months alone from BT while Offcom sit there and do nothing. I contacted the Telecoms ombudsman and they said they wouldn't accept complaints about price increases as it "doesn't fall within their remit" .... so that's OK then.

Companies are getting greedier by the day and it's all a big cartel so there's little we can do about it except suck it up. Just remember the whole structure of regulators and fines is one big con too. The only person that gets screwed is the consumer.

1. Adrian 4
      Thumb Down

Re: They're all getting away with it

"The former state monopoly defended the move by pointing to its competitors' recent price increases."

So it's not that they must, but that they can.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: They're all getting away with it

And didn't the competitors increase their prices because BT put them up previously?

What a virtuous circle.

2. Locky

I'm just waiting for the line

"The inevitable costs of Bexit" - It's not our fault gov

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Meh

Re: I'm just waiting for the line

Well, they do buy content in from abroad.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
    Unhappy

A spokeswoman said the "small change to the price" to its broadband and EETV packages reflect an investment in content.

Cool story, bro. I don't want content from my ISP so can I have a discount?

<sound of hollow laughter>

4. Your alien overlord - fear me
    Facepalm

I don't understand the last bit about paying for (footie) content in regard to hiking customer fees. Is there some sort of correlation?

1. druck Silver badge
      Thumb Down

The more BT pays for the football, the more you pay for your phone line, broadand and EE mobile.

1. druck Silver badge

Oh and did I forget to mention every other ISP using Openreach's wholesale broadband products, as BT make sure they are paying towards BT TV too.

5. King Jack
    Thumb Down

Connection fee

Connection fee was always a con, just a money grab for no reason but because they can. Putting up your price because a competitor does is a sign of a cartel and they should be punished for it. If only there were some body to oversee that?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Connection fee was always a con, just a money grab for no reason but because they can

Actually, wholesale connection costs are significant (e.g. new FTTC service as opposed to takeover of existing service), and then there's providing the router. Most ISPs amortise them over the first 12-24 months which is why you have to take out a contract.

Of course, like mobile phones, they're happy to change the one-off cost into a monthly cost: if the customer continues after the end of the contract, it's just cream.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like