back to article Ubuntu splats TITSUP bug spread in update

A simple library update turned into a white-knuckle ride for Ubuntu sysadmins, who have lit up Reddit and StackOverflow to complain that their 'net connections went TITSUP (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance). The guilty code is an upgrade to libc6 which broke the getaddrinfo() function in Ubuntu's DNS resolver code …

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Chekov here: my nyetwork

is performing within operational parameters.

1. Pomgolian
      FAIL

Re: Chekov here: my nyetwork

Mine' snot.

Intermittent issues with PHP-FPM throwing a paddy for the last couple of days. Fixed now so all good.

1. streaky

Curl in php-fpm reacted very badly to this. Thought it was me - used nscd as a workaround which solved it in the end but holy hell.

2. thames

Zero problems here. I had an update and the update to the update, without any problems.

2. LeoP

Lucky here

Had a failover on this one, then the second node went, but the primary had installed the updated update in the meantime so the failback actually resolved it.

Now I know why.

3. hplasm
    Linux

Phew!

Good job a real OS doesn't reboot after every little change, eh?

1. Flakk
      Joke

Re: Phew!

Indeed! Not having to reboot your host after it receives a service-breaking patch is marginally more convenient!

4. Adam 52 Silver badge

Sorry, can't resist...

On-prem hosting - servers in your own data centre that someone else controls!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Auto Update?

I thought Linux users were mean't to be more tech savvy then Windows ones. Just goes to show.

Auto download, fine, auto install...no thanks.

1. kain preacher

Re: Auto Update?

Why? As Linux become more main stream you will get noobs that do not know better.

6. druck Silver badge
    Flame

Bloody reboots

Luckily I avoided this, as every day there now seems to be an Ubuntu update that wants a bloody reboot - WTF, it's not Windows. So I tend to ignore them until at least the end of the week. But I'll be moving back to Debian when I get the chance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like