back to article Adobe buddies up with Microsoft for new ways to mine your data

Adobe and Microsoft have announced new product integrations along with the XDM (Experience Data Model) language for interchanging behavioural and marketing data between platforms. Microsoft has a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) offering, Dynamics 365, but is weak in marketing automation, while Adobe lacks a CRM product …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple really

A plague on both their houses.

I guess that this is aimed at CRM customers but actually that applies to all of us because the companies that we deal wil could well be using this crapfest and we just don't know.

The end result is even more spyware to detect and disable. The never ending story of the internet folks.

IMHO, they are so addicted to 'us' as a date element that like all drug addicted they don't know when to stop and probably can't.

I'm MS free these days but still use two Adobe products. (PS and LR)

I'll be actively looking for replacements now especially for Lightroom.

I am me. I am not a Number (6 or any other one).

1. Andy Non Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Simple really

Thankfully I no longer use any products from Adobe, Microsoft (or Linkedin). So they can go whistle for my marketing data. Google and its trackers are also NoScript and Adblocked blocked on my computer. If I want to buy something I'll research it myself, I'm not interested in having adverts shoved in my face.

1. Ragarath
        Coat

Ah but you DNS lookps are being profiled.

1. Andy Non Silver badge

As ads are blocked on my computer, it is a mute point anyway.

1. David 132 Silver badge
            Headmaster

@Andy Non it is a mute point anyway.

^"moot point"

1. Andy Non Silver badge
              Coat

Shhhhh! They'll overhear. ;-)

1. David 132 Silver badge
                Happy

@Andy Non - yeah, sorry, my correction came across as a bit prissy - I was trying to be "helpful" and increase the standard of spelling on the internet (for some reason, I have a mental image of the Augean Stables right now...). Wasn't having a go at you personally. It's a homophone that many people get wrong (see also "baited/bated breath", "hoards of people" etc.) Thank you for taking it in good spirit.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Simple really @Andy Non

Want to bet, I assume you have blocked those well known domains omniture and 2o7, owned by Adobe and used by many organizations such as banks?

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Re: Simple really @Andy Non

Yes, I block all domains by default, only allowing selected ones to function and then only temporarily.

2. Jaap Aap

A replacement for Lightroom?

Lightzone, Rawtherapee, Luminance-HDR, Hugin?

As a photoshop replacement you might have tried GIMP, but have you tried a recent version with docking of all windows? Inkscape is more of an illustrator replacement, but may be unknown to you.

Some of these programs might be windows/mac only, haven't checked, but these are some programs that I know of.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

The people who brought you Windows 10 telemetry team up with...

Adobe! The people who brought you e-reader software that tracks what you are reading, for how long, what page you are on and what sections you re-read most!

My creepiness meter is pegging!

3. TRT Silver badge

Their SaaS model...

was just the 'get ready' light on the road to Microsoftdom then?

4. David Austin

Based on previous records...

...If you're willing to put your customer data in a product co-written by Adobe... you're a braver man than me.

5. naive

Laurel and Hardy slapstick with only the sound of a busy drive encrypting files

This marriage could not fit better, two moronic companies, when it comes to security of their products, sleep together.

It will be safe to predict that the fruits of their activities will be plentiful and bear names like : CVE-YYYY-XXX.

Maybe Linux on the desktop will happen after all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New language... you mean a secret hand sake for data collected when the owner ticked the do not contact me box

7. a_yank_lurker

Where's my wallet?

When I hear the PHB-speak I start worrying about how negative and fast my bank balance will go. This is not good for either company's suckers aka customers.

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Pointless

I don't need any more reasons to avoid both like the plague.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

This is like Fagin and the Child Catcher opening a children's home.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Proper name for Microsoft - Adobe partnership

Microbe!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud Cloudy McCloudstick...

How many fekkin times in a single article can you say "cloud" (or

a derrivitive) & not wind up chokin' on yer own colon as it tries ta' kill ya' in self defense over all tha' BS yer spewin'?

Ya know what ELSE is in tha' cloud? All tha' smoke yer tryin' ta' blow up our arse!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too much illegit collaboration

"so it makes sense for the two companies to integrate." Sense for whom? The companies? Ok, but for the good of the web and its users, the opposite. The U.S. has let its anti-trust legislation rot since the '70s and it barely enforces the old rules. This kind of collaboration should have been outlawed long ago.

13. poohbear

Deprecated

I'm on Gentoo. Last piece of Adobe software I have ....

!!! The following installed packages are masked:

- app-text/acroread-9.5.5-r3::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)

/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:

# Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@gentoo.org> (19 Feb 2017)

# Dead upstream for >3 years. Closed source. Bundles outdated

# libraries that certainly have known security issues (e.g.,

# icu-36 (!) or curl). Use at your own risk.

Luckily Okular handles my password-protected bank statements just fine.

14. HAL-9000

More good news

Dystopia bekons, what could possibly go wrong when Adobe teams up with M$.

PS Does anyone remember consenting to data collection of the scale that we are currently seeing ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like