back to article Microsoft kills Windows Vista on April 11: No security patches, no hot fixes, no support, nada

One of Microsoft's most hated operating systems (Windows ME is difficult to beat on that front) is destined to die in less than a month. Windows Vista, launched to a less-than-stellar reception on January 30, 2007, saw most of its support stopped back in 2012. On April 11 this year the hammer finally falls. Microsoft warned …

1. J. R. Hartley
    1. John Sanders
      Trollface

Well...

Good riddance...

2. TheVogon

Vista was extra crappy on RTM for several reasons, a) Microsoft under pressure from PC Manufacturers released a minimum recommended spec that was simply not adequate for decent performance, b) Microsoft made a screw up in the way the GUI was threaded that meant that a single application could effectively hang the GUI while waiting for it to do something, c) local and network file copy performance was generally awful, and d) PC manufacturers were really getting into the concept of paid crapware and systems were often running lots of unnecessary junk.

So on RTM if you bought a "recommended spec" Vista machine it really really sucked,

b) and c) were actually fixed by Vista SP1 - after which a clean Vista install was actually quite useable on decent hardware!

See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709618(v=ws.10).aspx

2. asdf

well duh

>But sources familiar with the matter tell The Reg that such deals won't be on offer for Vista users.

Probably because no enterprise in their right mind deployed Vista in any kind of volume and that is who buys the vast majority of support contracts.

1. Mikel

Re: well duh

No enterprise in their right mind, sure. But then there's the US Army

If I had a dollar for every time some sockpuppet tried to convince me that Vista was great I would be a wealthy man.

2. P. Lee

>Probably because no enterprise in their right mind deployed Vista

and no back-ported, er, "Telemetry."

1. TheVogon

"and no back-ported, er, "Telemetry.""

In case you were not aware, the Telemetry mostly doesn't apply to corporate versions of Windows....

3. macjules

Maybe someone at Microsoft is just sick of Vista, too.

Most notably the poor buggers who were looking forwards to a career at Microsoft in OS development, only to end up working in the Vista support team.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, but looking at all fun it created, outside work as Zombie Extras in films like Shawn of the Dead. There is always an upside, if you look hard enough.

3. Mephistro
    Mushroom

Vista,...

... die already!

We'll miss you. Not.

4. Tim99 Silver badge
    Windows

I look back at it fondly.

I can thank Vista. I used to write software for XP, amongst other OSs. I looked at Vista when it came out, was appalled, and started to look at at structuring my life for retirement. I had stopped paid work, and gone back to using mostly *NIX based systems, well before Windows 8...

1. nkuk

Re: I look back at it fondly.

I think one good thing from Vista is that it changed desktop Linux from being mostly an unpolished hobbyist OS to a viable competitor to Windows. I started moving away from Windows thanks to Vista.

1. Chemist

"I think one good thing from Vista is that it changed desktop Linux from being mostly an unpolished hobbyist OS to a viable competitor to Windows"

Linux distros had been a perfectly usable, stable and fast desktop OS long before Vista. I'd been using it for years before that ( including professionally) About ~2005 I built a dual core AMD 64 bit system running OpenSUSE 11.? . and that's still going now running Leap 42.2

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Linux distros had been a perfectly usable, stable and fast desktop OS long before Vista.

Correct - I have not used a Windows in the house since 1997 (it is all-Linux including kids laptops and desktops).

What you are missing however, is the "works, do not f*** with it" philosophy. In most other households it took Microsoft shipping an unusable OS for granny to stop yelling at the grandson who installed Mint on her machine.

5. Barry Rueger

Options?

I use Vista once a month inside of VirtualBox to run our accounting software. It's one of those programs that never ran under WINE, and probably still doesn't. (Although I haven't checked recently, because there's been no reason.)

Do I really want to cough up the money for newer version of Windows? (and God no, I do not want Windows 10) Do I cross my fingers and carry on with Vista? Or, now that I think of it, just disable network access in VB and assume it's safe?

Bah. Maybe paper ledgers are a better choice.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Options?

You should be able to buy a valid licence for Windows 7 somewhere – use that. It's faster than Vista anyway and you need your accounting software.

1. Triggerfish

You can buy a win 7 pro OEM licence in UK for about £130 stil, you'll need to buy some hardware with it, but last time I did something like that (funnily enough to buy Vista OEM) a new mouse was sufficient.l

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Linux

you should be able to download and install Mint Linux for free.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cheapest option is a used machine with Windows 7 COA. With a bit of research it's possible to find something that can be upgraded to be very close to the performance of current hardware, if you need that perf.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Cheapest option is a used machine with Windows 7 COA.

Preference would be for Dell/HP/Lenovo/Fujitsu with a Win7 Pro COA as offical OS recovery media is often available from ebay and other web outlets, but you can get lucky and find that the recovery partition is still intact.

With a bit of research it's possible to find something that can be upgraded to be very close to the performance of current hardware

I tend to go for the Fujitsu kit, surprisingly cheap in the UK. Picked up a 2 year old dual quad-core Xeon workstation for peanuts on ebay. Mind you it needed a clean out, new thermal compound and the fans lubricating, now it's a bit like using a subaru impreza for the school run...

2. jelabarre59

Cheapest option is a used machine with Windows 7 COA. With a bit of research it's possible to find something that can be upgraded to be very close to the performance of current hardware, if you need that perf.

Or find a *dead* machine with MSW7 and make a P2V image/conversion of the disk. Should be way cheaper than buying a still functional machine.

3. jelabarre59

I use Vista once a month inside of VirtualBox to run our accounting software. It's one of those programs that never ran under WINE, and probably still doesn't. (Although I haven't checked recently, because there's been no reason.)

I wonder if you could make that ledger work under ReactOS? (hey, stop laughing!)

4. martinusher Silver badge

You definitely want to avoid Windows 10. Its just undergone a 'major update' which has numerous drawbacks, not least that its trying to suck you into Microsoft's cloud while introducing a whole slew of annoying bugs and problems. My solution to the Vista problem would be to ignore it; like industrial systems you can't keep upgrading your platforms every five minutes so you isolate your system from the prying eyes of the Interweb, just leaving it to do its job. (Software, after all, doesn't wear out.)

One of the ironies of my Win10 machine is it shares a desk with an older system that runs both Linux and Windows 2000. I never cease to be impressed about how stable and reliable Win2000 was compared to "new, improved" versions of the code. Sure, it'll probably attract all manner of Trojans and stuff if it was allowed outside the firewall but it leads a relatively quiet and isolated life.

6. inmypjs Silver badge

"To shift files from one system"

At a glance I read that as shit flies - must be something to do with talking about Microsoft operating systems.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just look at the flowers Lizzie

[[[[BLAM]]]]

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Just look at the flowers Lizzie

Closer to George and Lenny.

2. 0765794e08
      Terminator

Re: Just look at the flowers Lizzie

Harsh, but at least Lizzie had some redeeming features. Vista had none.

And isn’t it strange how you never see Carol Peletier and Bill Gates in the same room at the same time...

8. Brenda McViking
    Mushroom

I think the only question that ever mattered with regards to Vista - even since the early days of it's inception - was how should it be put out of it's misery? The Uninitiated used to say give it more RAM, but any professional would give you options:

- Firing Squad

- Hanging

- Electric Chair

- Lethal Injection

- Gas Chamber

1. hplasm
      Coat

options:

You missed - Will it blend?

9. Phil Kingston

Will they be sending out some sort of "So long and thanks for all the fish" gesture via the Vista Ultimate Extras add-ons?

1. Aladdin Sane

Malcolm Tucker saying "Fuckity bye"?

10. redpawn

The Zima of OSes

Who wouldn't want something different when it's new. Well when you take out the good stuff and substitute crap. Good riddance to the both of you and no nostalgic remakes of Vista please.

11. Nolveys

Britain's National Health Service is still using a lot of Windows XP systems, for example, and Microsoft will support these at a cost of $200 per desktop for year one, $400 for year two, and $800 for a third year.

Luckily that only accounts for 0.03% of the NHS budget line item for things that don't actually contribute to health care.

12. Oengus

Couldn't happen to a more deserving OS.

I vaguely remember seeing a PC that had Vista installed... I thought that Vista was long dead and buried (or at least should have been).

MS won't support Vista because it was technically a "Home" user OS. XP was technically a Business OS so theoretically anyone still using it has money to pay for support. MS long ago gave up caring for the home user (and lately I think they are only paying lip service to the business user without a subscription based service). Vista will not be missed by me.

13. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

Only one!

I've only worked/tried to fix one Fista install, unfortunately, it belongs to mom! She bought a netbook back when they were fashionable, pre-loaded with Fista. I even bought her a copy of Win7 but she never installed it.

I was once asked to work on a laptop and found it had Fista, and declined the job...

14. wayne 8

I thought users killed off Vista a while back.

15. Potemkine Silver badge
    Pint

Good riddance

It may be a little bit early to celebrate with Champagne, anyway the killing of Vista would be a good occasion to do so.

16. AMBxx Silver badge
    Windows

ME Hated?

Maybe my memory is hazey, but the only problem with ME is that it added so little to Windows 98 and was just MS gouging gullible users for another upgrade.

What have I forgotten?

1. Dave K

Re: ME Hated?

It had software compatibility issues due to MS hiding DOS mode which a lot of utilities still required, System Restore was poorly implemented and would often back-up viruses and then restore them to your system if you used it. It was incredibly flaky and a lot less stable than Windows 98 (and that's saying something).

In short, It didn't really bring that much to the table, but cost a lot in terms of compatibility and stability. And that is why it was widely disliked.

1. John Riddoch

My understanding is that a lot of the stability issues were due to driver compatibility - lazy vendors wouldn't write a new driver, they'd just repackage the 98 driver and ship. In some cases, you'd get away with it, sometimes you'd hit an edge case where the driver threw a wobbly and BSOD'd.

I had ME back in the day and found it ran OK, at least as well as 95 had, i.e. you had to reinstall every 6-12 months to keep it working well. That said, it didn't seem to be much different from 98 from a user perspective so didn't have much benefit for the stability issues you've mentioned.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I had ME back in the day and found it ran OK...you had to reinstall every 6-12 months to keep it working well."

AFAIC, that's two highly contradictory statements! ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

ystem Restore was poorly implemented and would often back-up viruses and then restore them to your system if you used it.

It was worse than that. You could wipe a virus, but they used to bury themselves in system restore. Upon reboot, the virus would pop back out again.

It became standard to turn off system restore, before wiping a machine of malware.

2. MJI Silver badge

It was a real pain compared to 98 R2

Still DOS under the bonnet but hid it for no real reason.

It was a PITA to set up to run DOS applications, much more hassle than 98.

XP was much much better than ME, as at least it was a proper Windows OS rather than a messed up GUI layer

3. PNGuinn
      Mushroom

Re: ME Hated? What have I forgotten? @AMBxx

Windows 98.

>> for slurp, not you.

4. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

The bloat ware in the form of media player, explorer shell add-ins which caused huge slowdown and endless BSOD's, nuking of anything MSDos related to make it look like it was not Windows 9x

Sorry but Vista is paradise compared to Windows ME and Mac OS9

5. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Wasn't ME the first one to come out with "Home" and "Pro" versions? And IIRC, you couldn't do much networking with the Home version (this was back when Novell Netware was still a Big Deal).

1. ADRM

@ Pirate Dave arrrgh.

Wasn't ME the first one to come out with "Home" and "Pro" versions?

ME was the home version. The Pro version was Windows 2000 which some home users bought and were flummoxed by it. 2000 is fondly remembered by myself and others as one of the best Microsoft OS's ever. I take a 2K VM for s spin every now and then with Winamp 2.9. XP was the first NT to have a Home and Pro version then M$ decided to milk everyone with 106 versions of Vista and 7. Then back to home and pro from 8 onwards. Not counting Vista, 7,8 10 Enterprise (Starships are cheaper) versions.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows Vista ...

Rot in peace ya pile o shite!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Holy Grail - Vista Service Pack 2

Any barebones laptop (full of crudware) from 2008, with Vista RTM, it was like finding the Holy Grail to upgrade to Vista SP2. Days and days of 200+ Windows Updates. (Yep, so no different to Windows 7SP1 today).

To do this without a single failed update was literally the "Holy Grail" in IT achievement at the time. (Again, so no different from Windows 7SP1 today or Windows 10).

I always found it odd how people suddenly thought Windows 7 was a fantastic OS, because there are so many elements from Vista SP2 lingering. To me, Win7 was lipstick on a pig. The really shitty Windows Explorer for one, whoever wrote that, had never worked with/organised files in their life.

Windows Explorer is reason alone not to use Vista/Windows 7 for any file management tasks. Period.

It's just plain awful.

(Today. I just don't trust Windows 10 File Explorer, it often flags 'new unseen before' USB drives as having errors, so it can scan/examine files for Microsoft's 'threat detection', USB drives which have shown no such errors in Win7/MacOS/Linux)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

W10 metered connection updates

"To do this without a single failed update was literally the "Holy Grail" in IT achievement at the time. (Again, so no different from Windows 7SP1 today or Windows 10)."

A suitable hook to mention that MS are possibly going to circumvent the "metered connection" method of blocking W10 updates. They could be intending to automatically download what they consider essential updates.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-fears-that-microsoft-is-about-to-force-updates-over-metered-connections/

20. Caerdydd_Mike

In a Moss accent ...

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-30fe3d6e4e6fcfffe279958e755273fc-c

Bomb Disposal:[referring to the bomb disposal robot] I'm just having a couple of problems with it.

Moss:What kind of operating system does it use?

Bomb Disposal:It's er... Vista.

Moss:We're going to die!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Terminator

Re: In a Moss accent ...

Oh my Gosh ..

21. MJI Silver badge

Phew!

At least I am OK with XP and 7

(yes I did get updates on XP yesterday)

22. RyokuMas
    Coat

The mother-in-law's laptop used to run Shit-sta...

Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teethfun I had whenever she broke it (or it happened spontaneously)...

Vista will not be missed-a....

23. Digitall
    Coat

no problemo

Asta la Vista baby! [awaiting Termination]

24. MacroRodent

Updates, what updates?

"Windows Vista customers will no longer receive new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft,"

So there were supposed to be recent updates? I have a Vista inside a VirtualBox VM on the personal Linux minilaptop I lug around (just in case a Windows is needed, but it has not actually seen much use), and updates stopped working on it over a year ago.

25. druck Silver badge
    Unhappy

Damn

I'd almost managed to erase Vista from my memory, when I saw this article.

26. Simon Harris
    Mushroom

Windows Vista.... I say we take off...

... and, well, you know the rest.

27. Colin Bull 1
    FAIL

still using Vista

Sadly I still have to get the laptop with vista out to update the relatively new TomTom. It can only be update on a Windows machine and I cannot be arsed to install a Windows VM on my Linux boxes just for that.

Laplink brings back some memories - who remenbers the blue double headed transfer cables?

1. I am the liquor

Re: still using Vista

Yes I had no idea Laplink were still going. I hadn't heard anything of them since proper networking got cheap and easy.

28. WraithCadmus
    Happy

And this is why this year's Mother's Day gift...

Is a new PC.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't somebody thing of the user? (Singular not plural)

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical - killing it just when PC's were getting fast enough to run it...

31. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Laplink

for me the only newsworthy part of the story was the realisation that Laplink (yellow cables anyone) are still going ...

1. kain preacher

Re: Laplink

Laplink still exist. It's mostly about the soft ware. Now you have a choice of using cross over cable or specialty USB cable.

32. Wade Burchette

It is better than the alternative

I rather have Vista Basic with a single-core Pentium IV and 512MB of memory than Windows 10 on any system.

1. MCG

Re: It is better than the alternative

You wouldn't get very far on XP with 512MB never mind Vista.....

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Re: It is better than the alternative

512MB is massive for XP. At least the original XP, before MS bloated it.

33. MOV r0,r0

10 is a fixed 8 which is rehash of 7 which is Vista with the boot-up dependencies rearranged leh

1. Updraft102

I wouldn't call Windows 10 a "fixed* 8. I thought 8 had to be the worst thing ever-- until I saw 10. The things I hated about 8 seem so trivial now that I just upgraded from 7 to 8.1 on both of my main PCs in order to buy three more years of security updates so I can keep avoiding 10 like the plague that it is.

When you rip out all of the apps (Windows Store included), install Classic Shell and Old New Explorer, and kill the ribbon and the charms bar, 8 becomes a pretty decent OS. Why did we all hate it so much again when it can be made usable with relative ease? I can't really remember anymore... it seems like a great improvement compared to 10 now!

Unlike Windows 10, 8.1 doesn't spy on me (I never installed the telemetry updates), and I can install updates as I see fit. There's no Cortana, no ads, no rapid update cycle (with its perpetual beta build quality, now that MS got rid of their QA people) and no unwanted installation of Candy Crush or any other app MS has decided I need. It doesn't change my drivers or uninstall my stuff on its own, and it doesn't periodically change my settings back to their Microsoft-serving defaults.

It took Windows 10 to make Windows 8 look like a reasonable product.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Britain's National Health Service is still using a lot of Windows XP systems, for example, and Microsoft will support these at a cost of $200 per desktop for year one, $400 for year two, and $800 for a third year."

the NHS is a fine institution and i'm in no way advocating privatisation.

but this kind of stupidity really p*sses me off. especially when it never gets mentioned by the 'save the nhs' crowd.

the NHS is hemorrhaging money on this stuff and it gets totally ignored in the false (and distracting) privatised vs state provisioned services debate.

The NHS budget should be ringfenced but certain aspects of it should be de-funded - starting with salary for the execs or oversee this kind of stupidity.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To the genius of eternity . ... .

In the music of the morns

Blown through the Conchimarian horns,

Down the dark vistas of the reboantic Norns,

To the Genius of Eternity

Crying, “Come to me! Come to me!”

Author: Thomas Holley Chivers

I liked Vista quite a bit. It's certainly the high point of Microsoft aesthetics, what with Aero, and that great start button that sticks out of the task bar, its complement to the Office 2007 ribbon button (I like the ribbon too). lovely symmetry there. Kernel 6, which is so nice that MS named it twice (now called kernel v10). Shiny, blue, animations - rest in peace, old soldier.

1. Roger Mew

Why replace, My vintage ex army Land Rover still has a function and parts are available... .

Why rest? Many of my acquired software will not run on later stuff, and why the f.... would I want to buy something that means I will have to buy another load of software that only does what mine does now! It would also have complexities that are not needed and also need retraining. Sorry I guess you are also the type that buys a new Ferrari when the tyres need changing!

36. Chris Jasper

I remember going to a Microsoft presentation for a release of Exchange after Windows 7 had been released and the MS staff there all referred to Vista as "A previous Microsoft operating system", turns out they were not allowed to say Vista which we all twigged in a few minutes and spent the rest of the session trying to get any of them to utter the word.

Good times,,,,

37. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Britain's National Health Service is still using a lot of Windows XP systems, for example, and Microsoft will support these at a cost of $200 per desktop for year one, $400 for year two, and $800 for a third year"

Omg!

Just goes to show how very wise it is to put your eggs in the proprietary closed source basket.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suppose it shows how expensive life support is.

"Britain's National Health Service is still using a lot of Windows XP systems, for example, and Microsoft will support these at a cost of $200 per desktop for year one, $400 for year two, and $800 for a third year"

I suppose it shows how expensive life support is.

38. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Those poor Vista users

all three of them had better get cracking at looking for an alternative. They've not got long left.

1. Chemical Bob

Re: Those poor Vista users

No, there's actually six of them - they're the ones who complained when Microsoft announced they were shutting down So.cl.

39. Stoke the atom furnaces

Microsoft "Technology"

"Microsoft ... invest our resources towards more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences."

Apart from shiteware like cortana, metro interface, edge etc., is there any technology that is useful in Windows 10 that Vista (or stable OSes like XP or NT4.0 come to think of it) did not have?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft "Technology"

Only thing I can think of would be RSAT for Server 2016.

1. Kiwi
        Coat

Re: Microsoft "Technology"

Only thing I can think of would be RSAT for Server 2016.

Scuse the lack of knowledge and the lateness but... Is that a thing?

Coz when spoken it sounds very much like "arse-hat". But then, we are in a Vista thread...

40. Katie Saucey
    Thumb Up

Thank the Gods, unfortunately I still have family running it, luckily they definitely will not have heard of this news and panic calling 'just in case'

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remember Longhorn?

For those of us that worked for MS at the time probably remember Longhorn. Longhorn had lots, probably too many, major improvements in it making it really interesting. It became clear that Longhorn would never make the 3 year release cycle. This lead to the Longhorn reset, what came out of that was Vista. Rumour had it Kevin Turner COO was behind that.

42. Dwarf

Roll the clock forwards a couple of years

In a couple of years time, you won't get stories like this any more as nobody will be running that Windows thingy as they haven't got a decent replacement for Windows 7 and they gave away the golden goose of a trusted (as in it doesn't spy on you and its rock solid) operating system.

I actually quite liked Vista as it was a step in the right direction for Windows 7 and a long way up from XP in terms of capability, even if it was a bit shaky from a stability and performance perspective.

I wonder how people will remember build <whatever today's OS build number is> and how MS will decide to stop supporting that build number in x years time, or is it now just summarised as "we don't support yesterdays beta any more"

43. Roger Mew

Who says Vista is hated?

I do not get why most hated, I have found it the most stable platform if you get the software and build the computer yourself. I have not had BSoD's etc and it has been very reliable, not so the rubbish that has followed. If you think that vista has been bad, why? This machine has run reliably since it was built some 6 years ago and the only thing that has had a problem is down to MS updates in the last 6 months which I perceive as deliberate. I have programs on here that run music modification and design stuff all without problems. One only has to read the items about Vista to know that. I am guessing that those with problems had ready built items with loads of advertising rubbish etc included. I cannot run some of the stuff on 10 and in fact as 10 is so prone to problems (although it has improved) so Vista will continue to be used with the help of private companies like AVG, Sophos etc. In fact it seems that as MS are "washing their hands of it" some private companies are taking it under their wing. So if Google chrome want also to lose users tuff bye to them also R

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unexpected?

Not really. Its a bit like Harland and Wolfe ending the maintenance contract on the Titanic. Several users could be affected.

The only bit of Vista I liked was Windows Mail. With a bit of trickery you could transfer it to Win7 so that was not an issue.

45. Dassiewan

Windows Vista rocks, lol (Srsly)

I see here, too, many many many people that say Vista was bad.

Vista may have BEEN bad back when it was released, but for the past, oh, say 4-5 years it has become as good as Windows 7, I daresay.

I am running Vista at two Core-i5 desktop with 4 GB and two old/el-cheapo laptops with 2 GB of RAM, and all four of them work just fine (except for that "memory hole" with Windows Update after SP2, but that also exists in Windows 7 and so isn't a Vista thing).

One of the desktops even is/was my (mid-end) gaming computer, with games like Crysis 2, Mass Effect 2, Diable III, or EVE Online.

I saw no reason to switch to Windows 7 (which has things in it that I found less user-friendly).

I invite everyone over to my house for a Windows Vista part (har har har): I'll put y'all in front of one of my Vista computers and I guarantee everyone that after a couple of hours you WILL admit that Vista is (and I repeat: in the present) practically as good as Windows 7.

In fact, the other week, just because I could, I have installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit on an SSD, and I found all the necessary drivers without any problems, and several 64-bit programs, and I got WesternDigital's "SSD Dashboard" to get the TRIM function to work (and it seems to work fine).

Vista boots up in 10 to 15 seconds wiht the SSD, instead of in 40 to 50 seconds on a HDD.

Knowing and using also MacOS X and GNU/Linux, I am NOT a n00b when it comes to computers and operating systems. Ages ago I (even) worked in AIX (that's UNIX for you, n00bs). I have no reason to lie about Windows Vista: my "testimony" here comes purely out of personal experience.

I am "sad" to see Windows Vista go. (No, I will not switch to that godawful Windows 10, nor to W7 or W8: Vista will be my last Microsoft OS.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like