back to article UK's Association of British Travel Agents cops to data breach

A hack attack on the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) has exposed the personal details of thousands of consumers and hundreds of tour operators and travel agents. Data for up to 650 ABTA members and up to 43,000 consumers was exposed by the breach, which dates from late last month. In a statement on Thursday. The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone will need a holiday after sorting out that mess

2. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Perhaps another approach...

Perhaps another approach would be for these sorts of companies to only request the minimum amount of information required to complete the task at hand, and PLEASE stop the process of preventing me from completing the form until I've filled it in with "any" form of response; rather than expecting a full life history with the only intent of trying to upsell me related but unrequired products. This would have the added benefit of reducing the amount of shit data that gets in their systems in the first place.

Yes... I'm looking at you Opodo and Confused.com.

1. Halfmad

Re: Perhaps another approach...

It'd help if they stopped storing compressed images of the letters etc on a public facing web server too.

2. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: Perhaps another approach...

It's coming, GDPR will bring those rules. They may not be enforced, of course.

3. VinceH

Dumbing down?

Although encrypted, passwords used by ABTA Members and customers of ABTA Members to access our website may also have been accessed."

Is this a case of dumbing down what they say for the benefit of those who don't know the difference - or do they really mean encrypted, rather than salted and hashed?

1. Halfmad

Re: Dumbing down?

As it was outsourced I doubt they'd know themselves.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

No ones mentioned MongoDB or is that just implied?

5. adnim
    Meh

I presume every Internet

accessible device is vulnerable to unauthorised access and behave accordingly. Or those with authorised access will sell the data to support a gambling or drug habit. Yes, I have a pretty low opinion of human fidelity in general. Humans are often less secure than the systems they have access too.

I either enter lies into web forms or don't use the website if lying is impossible to get away with.

I don't read terms and conditions because I will invariably disagree with them, I make up my own T&C's and follow them exclusively. So far so good. Still, I expect that at some point my behaviour will come back and bite me.

Unfortunately the information one provides face to face with some entity will usually find its way onto an Internet accessible device.

I am waiting for Experian to be hacked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I presume every Internet

"I am waiting for Experian to be hacked"

Experian's procedures and systems are quite good - packet scanning firewalls, locked down USB ports etc. and the management crack down on policy infringement hard. (Actually the management crack down hard on almost anything fun).

But they employee people who necessarily have access to lots of information. When I worked there I had over four datasets pretty much the entire economically active UK population. I'd be surprised if they haven't had a leak.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sure there are still travel agents.

If I book something I look for two things, ABTA and Atol because it means I'm less likely to get stuffed if the company goes bump. In fact one such company did go bump a month before my holiday and the only problem I had was the luggage allowance which was resolved with the print off I took to the airport because I'm not going to rely on said company booking it correctly.

7. Drew 11
    Coat

Computer says yes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like