back to article Borked browser baked into Nintendo Switch

A couple of console enthusiasts have run up a proof-of-concept showing a Nintendo's new games machine, the "Switch", being p0wned thanks to an old Webkit vulnerability. When CVE-2016-4657 emerged last year, it was used to jailbreak iOS before version 9.3.5. The Switch has a built-in browser that carries the vuln, and as …

1. Planty Bronze badge
    FAIL

I see what you did there

When it's your beloved Apple, then the webkit vulnerability was a gift that gave the world a lovely nice jailbreak, and just bury the nasty malware aspect of it (Pegasus). When it's Android, it's the exact opposite reporting style, going for the tired and predictable malware angle.

Some consistency please, otherwise you will continue to look like brain-dead fanboys trying (and failing) to be professional tech journalist

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: I see what you did there

Since when has The Reg been Apple-loving? They can't even get a quote from them any more.

1. Timmay

@Lee D, when the commentard says "beloved", they are being sarcastic. Read the comment; they're saying when it's Apple being jailbroken, it's reported as a good thing. When it's Android, it's a bad thing and needs to be stopped.

2. Planty Bronze badge

that might be true on the whole, but individual bloggers (they are not worthy of the word journalists) clearly have (not so) hidden agendas and product/brand loyalty.

So either there is a create clickbait message from above, brown envelopes or free stuff, or it really is just plain biased writing.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Not the first time

A WebKit bug is also used for an exploit on the Wii U. Even though it's a third party browser (Netfront), you'd think Nintendo would have stuck it in a sandbox by now.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Not the first time

This is the Wii U you're talking about.

Nintendo probably left it hoping the crack would actually help sell a few more units.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A web browser is a GAMES CONSOLES????

What next? Thought they existed to play games. Bah. I can only imagine there was only one or two people coding that piece in the Switch OS.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: A web browser is a GAMES CONSOLES????

As TFA says, the browser in case the Switch is connected to a WiFi AP with a captive portal.

2. MJI Silver badge

Games consoles are pretty multi use now.

The two main console families provide.

Gaming, Bluray playback, TV streaming, Music streaming, Web browsing. Amongst other things

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They're all naff at doing web browsing, so why bother?

1. MJI Silver badge

>> So why bother?

As I found yesterday as it was dark so could not see the handholds for climbing, I was trying to grab a Banuk statue but I could not see the hand holds, so I looked it up and found where they were, ran over to the post and climbed up.

Also used to check that I was going the right way for a power cell

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nintendo have already announced there will be downloadable expansion packs to some games.

If you don't have a web browser, how can they make a pretty interface to encourage you to spend the cash? Silly.

Also Netflix will be available on the switch which is pretty cool since it's got quite a nice screen (720p but only 6.2").

1. Aitor 1

A nice screen? a 720p see through plastic screen is not nice.

My phone has a 5.5" 1080 IPS gorilla glass screen. And I consider it "adequate", not great... even if the contrast and color accuracy is decent.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Could be worse, they could have tried putting a decent screen on the console which would have meant they actually needed to put decent hardware inside it so that it would work.

720p @30 fps is poor.

Being able to scratch the screen on the harder plastic inside the dock is pretty tragic too.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@jeremy 3 - when was it a prerequisite to have a web-browser to make the pretty "buy me buy me" interface? okay, the web browser isn't a fully fleshed out one, but come on; it's a mere distraction to the primary purpose of the device... gaming.

who wants another tablet?

4. Mr Dogshit

I thought for a moment "Do Nintendo make Ethernet switches?"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon