back to article Manchester's Munee Hut, Eyebrow Cottage and fresh hot spam from Belize

A Manchester-based firm that hired an outfit in the central American country of Belize to send around 64,000 spam texts promoting loans has been fined £20,000. Munee Hut operated out of Eyebrow Cottage, a Grade II listed building in the south Manchester town of Sale. An Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) investigation, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tomorrow a new company called Monee Hoot operating of the same Eyebrow Cottage with the same directors will contact a company in the Virgin Islands to send 20K more unsolicited messages. Let the circle (or should it be circus) contniue.

1. Huey

Don't be daft they would see straight through that because the ICO - oh wait....

Actually on a weird note they could just pop round and have a chat being only about 10 miles away.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Well, they could, but now everyone knows their address...

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

"could result in court action" ? They've broken the law and should be up in front of a beak now. Ideally one whose just been sent spam emails/text to put them in the right frame of mind.

3. Alistair
    Windows

This brings back painful memories.

We were in British Honduras back when I were a wee lad. About 48 hours after we left, the area became what is now known as Belize. I was bitten by a monkey. The monkey was living in a Munkee Hut. <There sadly is no photo of the wooden arch over the door, since the camera used to take the photo was used to get the monkey to stop chewing on my fingers.....>

Somehow, its a strange twisted misread of the entire article.

4. Sebastian A

I'm amazed that sending this crap is still actually profitable. Why are people STILL purchasing spammed products and services? You have to know you're dealing with disreputable people, you must realise that the chances of getting what you paid for are low if they're not flat-out zero. Why does this business model continue to work despite more and more people being brought up with the internet and supposedly being tech-savvy?

1. Mark 85

Because even if only one percent respond, that's the number of idiots out there. They just haven't sent out enough spam to rope in all the idiots.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look up their website www.Moolr.co.uk:

The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service. That's clearly a lie

Moolr.co.uk is a registered Trading name of Munee Hut LLP which is an Appointed Representative of QV Holdco Ltd,

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09085516/officers

Very shady in my honestly held opinion.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is the problem?

Spam or advertisement is solely the receiver's discretion. Who can say that those who chose to spam the message speak for those who considered the product. Will someone please explain why creating jobs in Belize to help reduce world poverty and crime is such a big problem. Just spam it if you don't like it and kindly give everyone a chance to decide where the message should go. On the other hand, if the company is committing a crime in the UK or Belize, please share details.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like