back to article Cisco and pals reveal backup bundles for Borg's slow-moving converged rigs

Cisco's pals are excited that The Borg has signed them up for new data protection bundles. Late last week CommVault scored with a reference platform to protect data on the Cisco/Pure just-like-FlexPod-but-not-with-NetApp FlashStack platform. A few days earlier Veeam scored on the HyperFlex platform, Cisco's look-we-can-do- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trying too hard to sound too smart. What is this, a high school newspaper?

If you want to insinuate that there is some sinister grand plan then how about, I don't know, investigate and provide proof? You know, being a journalist. Instead we have to read smartass innuendo in which you are trying way too hard to sound "edgy".

Looked into the Veeam HyperFlex thing, looks like not everyone can do that with APIs as you claim. HyperFlex is the only hyperconverged solution that allows native snapshot integation with Veeam. Couldn't find anything for VSAN, Nutanix, or Windows SS Direct. Would have appreciated if you had spent mote time on research than peddling ridiculous theories.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Ridiculous theories? All I did was ask Cisco if the fact two of these came along at once was a plan. And I do not point out that everyone can do what Veeam is doing with the Hyperflex API. I point out that anyone else >could<, should they choose to do so. In my conversation with Veeam they told me as much.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's a Cisco bashing article and that diminishes whatever content is in the article which is little to begin with. Hence you being called out on adding edginess and sarcasm to make up for having nothing to show for. Veeam and Commvault have had validated designs for Cisco stacks for years, I remember reading an article here in ElReg about a >refresh< quite a while ago.

Your "theory" is that these two anouncements are somehow concerted and connected to decreasing sales. Seems quite a ridiculous proposition on so many levels: CommVault and Veeam reference architectures are not going to move sales one iota in the short term, both initiatives require considerable effort from CV and Veeam and synchronizing those seem to be hilariously difficult considering the possible benefits (the juice is not worth the squeeze), and it requires a level of planning that I believe is impossible to pull off in an org the size of Cisco.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

No, my theory is not that these announcements are connected to decreasing sales. I raise the possibility that Cisco, which is on the record in an earnings call and to me personally as saying its converged systems sales are not good enough, might have felt that poorly-integrated data protection could help things along. I put that to Cisco, they deny it, so I am not sure how that comes out as Cisco-bashing.

Reference architectures are pretty dull. The "edge" in the story is an attempt to make them a teensy bit less so.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yeah and the counterpoint is that the cooperation between Cisco and Commvault and Veeam has been going on for years (as reported here) and the announcements are just standard releases/upgrades of an ongoing relationship.

The criticism is that you are seeing two events and attribute them to a strategy to counter declining sales when in reality it's just business as usual. Wake me up when they start incentivizing the sales reps, then I will believe they are doing something about falling sales.

2. Lost_Signal

vSAN + Veeam

"HyperFlex is the only hyperconverged solution that allows native snapshot integation with Veeam"

Not exactly...

vSAN and Veeam are supported together and Veeam leverages Native VMware vSAN snapshots (introduced in 6.0, a replacement for the VMFS Snapshots). There is also additional integration (Agents poll the object store directly to do data proximity on backup jobs to lower networking overhead) as well as SPBM integration (Veeam can backup and recover SPBM policies with vSAN).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: vSAN + Veeam

"vSAN and Veeam are supported together and Veeam leverages Native VMware vSAN snapshots (introduced in 6.0, a replacement for the VMFS Snapshots). There is also additional integration (Agents poll the object store directly to do data proximity on backup jobs to lower networking overhead) as well as SPBM integration (Veeam can backup and recover SPBM policies with vSAN)."

Nice find, thank you!

2. returnofthemus

HyperFlex is the only hyperconverged solution that allows native snapshot integation with Veeam

Even if it/was nobody really cares, I think that's the real point here

3. dpk

Reference architectures. LOL

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like